Cameron Archer

Zatman

I like him, but let me ask it this way - if he was a Spurs player on loan at Boro last season and we signed him, would you be happy with him as a backup for Ollie?

Disclaimer: I don't have an answer to this question and it's Friday night. I drinked too much.

1 minute ago, Vancvillan said:

I like him, but let me ask it this way - if he was a Spurs player on loan at Boro last season and we signed him, would you be happy with him as a backup for Ollie?

Disclaimer: I don't have an answer to this question and it's Friday night. I drinked too much.

I think so. Depending on the fee.

It's a key year for him isnt it. Not make or break but we'll have got a feel for what his career is going to look like by this time next year. He is only about 6 months younger than Jacob Ramsey I remember hearing.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

As things stand he'll be getting plenty of minutes next season and rightly so.

To loan him out yet again or even sell and just keep Duran as back up to January would be a questionable call by Don Unai.

Of course we'll sign some attackers but I think they'll be more replacements in 11 for Bailey and Buendia so Bailey could well be alternate/rotation player and also be an option for CF when situation dictates.

Cam has also done well in a two so not impossible we could have him and Ollie starting some games together especially in europe.

Don Unai’s word is gospel. If he thinks Olsen would be the perfect strike partner for Mings, I’d back him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vancvillan said:

Or a spurs player on the bench at Leicester... and we know how that one turned out 

I'd be more than happy to see Cam get his chance this season. The kid is a finisher - his England goal earlier this week showed how calm, and pacy, he is - and has really good movement - the second England goal showed this as he dragged the CB away to create space for Elliot. He also seems pretty robust.

6 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Personally I think if we signed the standout striker in the Championship (which I think he has been over the last few months, albeit not the top scorer), age 21, scoring for England U21s and having scored vs PL opposition in the cups I’d be happy with that gamble in a backup role. But I do think we will sign another forward anyway.

The spurs question is the wrong club on the basis that spurs youngster coming through doesn't stand a chance because he's not displacing kane so he'd have no reject angle to him

And that player is dane scarlett who useless and others will know more than me but I'd take archer over any day

Balogun at Arsenal might be better, very successful loan, not sure what's next for him and for me I think the answer is yes I would but again I'm not sure I'd take him over archer 

Not sure who the best u23 striker is right now, I'd take archer over delap too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The spurs question is the wrong club on the basis that spurs youngster coming through doesn't stand a chance because he's not displacing kane so he'd have no reject angle to him

And that player is dane scarlett who useless and others will know more than me but I'd take archer over any day

Balogun at Arsenal might be better, very successful loan, not sure what's next for him and for me I think the answer is yes I would but again I'm not sure I'd take him over archer 

Not sure who the best u23 striker is right now, I'd take archer over delap too

Delap was poor at Preston compared to Archer so he's a long way from being a prem striker, wouldn't shock me if he goes to Southampton considering they bid for him last summer.

Tom Cannon from Everton did much better there and looks like he's chosen to represent England instead of ROI so he'll be in the England under 21s soon enough.

Cam's scored at pretty much every level he's had a fair chance in last 18 months. Some goals in non league for Solihull then had that hat trick at Barrow and Chelsea goal in league cup and generally his scoring record in championship for two different clubs has been solid so that indicates to me he'll be scoring in premier league if he can get some significant cameos e.g. similar to what Traore was getting from April last season.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

The question isn’t easily answered, and to answer it will take us to other questions. How much should we pay for Ollie backup? What quality would we get if a player knows he’s a backup? 
How much gamble is it to try Archer? 
Sometimes you won’t get the best solution for your issues, but you’ll take the most efficient one. Especially for the squad game, that’s what should be. So keeping Archer would save you 20m atleast, if he’s up to it great, if not then he could go for a good fee, and then try to upgrade on Ollie himself. I don’t think strikers are easy to find anyway. 
Was there better choices than Youri? Yes for sure, but for the money we’re paying (assuming we’ll have some competition for starting places) it was one of the best businesses. 
I think next year we shall look at upgrading on Watkins, until then we have to save money for the striker rather than getting short term ones and then fail to sell them. We can as well re decide next winter. However we shall get the second striker and winger right. If we got Arda or Willams, and Felix for example I think we’ve had a very good window. The squad can be filled with Buendia, Bailey, A.Ramsey, (Traore and Coutinho depending on their future here)..etc

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Delap was poor at Preston compared to Archer so he's a long way from being a prem striker, wouldn't shock me if he goes to Southampton considering they bid for him last summer.

Tom Cannon from Everton did much better there and looks like he's chosen to represent England instead of ROI so he'll be in the England under 21s soon enough.

Cam's scored at pretty much every level he's had a fair chance in last 18 months. Some goals in non league for Solihull then had that hat trick at Barrow and Chelsea goal in league cup and generally his scoring record in championship for two different clubs has been solid so that indicates to me he'll be scoring in premier league if he can get some significant cameos e.g. similar to what Traore was getting from April last season.

18 + 7goals in 36 games worth of minutes at championship level is damn impressive

• Like 3

I get the feeling Archer is a natural striker and finisher. If he gets chances he’ll score goals at any level, and being a young striker means he’s still got time to develop into being even more ruthless and a more rounded player too. I really hope this will be his breakout year for us, the Europa Conference will be perfect for him to get proper minutes in the first team 

• Like 3

Folarin Balogun who managed 3 goals in 20 games for Middlesbrough two seasons ago is now "valued" at £50m by Arsenal after a good year in France.

If Archer isn't going to get at least 20 games this season, we should send him out to a top 5 league. Let's see what the lad can do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Folarin Balogun who managed 3 goals in 20 games for Middlesbrough two seasons ago is now "valued" at £50m by Arsenal after a good year in France.

If Archer isn't going to get at least 20 games this season, we should send him out to a top 5 league. Let's see what the lad can do.

tbf he didnt just score 3 goals for Boro, he also scored 22 goals in Ligue 1 last season.

But ye, 50m sounds pretty nuts even considering a decent ligue 1 haul.

i would be interested to see what Archer could do with a full championship season, or a season in ligue 1.

Edited by MaVilla

28 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbf he didnt just score 3 goals for Boro, he also scored 22 goals in Ligue 1 last season.

i would be interested to see what Archer could do with a full championship season, or a season in ligue 1.

I think you're agreeing with me :flag:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

He's only worth £50m if anyone's actually willing to pay it though.

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

tbf the French league is not even a top5 league anymore.  I think I read its now no7 in the world.  22 goals in Ligue 1 is not impressive atm.  Its a farmers league- even more so than its always been.  But I fully agree- 50m price tag is crazy.  Did Levy sneak over and assign player values?

Â