Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

As for her ability to do her job, she seems good at it. People should not be sacked for being unaware on matters not affecting their role. Jack shouldn't be sacked for breaking lockdown. They should be "talked to" in the first instance to explain that conduct needs to meet standards and given the chance to adjust their behaviour.

I think I'm saying her "fit" for us isn't (in my eyes) something that should be set in stone by one twitter error. I think she was trying to make a point about people in poor countries being forgotten. She made it badly, and was in any case just plain wrong on the furlough part of her comments, but let her learn and be better for it.

I don't think this is the same as for Jack, Jack is a footballer player - he's paid for kicking a ball around, sometimes the people who do that aren't the brightest. 

Eni isn't a player, she's someone at a Director level within a football club, that's a job for which a huge part is maintaining the right public profile. Christian Purslow would need nine months of yoga training to get his foot anywhere near as close to his mouth as she's managed here. I'm not saying she should be sacked, you're right, that's not the right approach at all - but they'd be wanting to nip it in the bud sharpish - at Director level, your public profile is one of the most important things people recognise about you, and this isn't something I'd see anyone else in the club at this level putting on their twitter feed in a million years.

For me the weak apology makes it worse, it's the line "I have no interest in being a source of further public upset" and her then going on to confirm that she still believes her comments to be correct, but will stop them being public because it's upsetting people. It reads to me that she has no interest in other peoples opinions on the matter, no interest in being debated on it., no interest in what the public think about this - it's "I'm right and that's that". For someone at Director level within a company as publicly visible as a football club that's a very poor message.

In terms of whether she's good at her job, I think it's probably too early to tell - we were top of the league when she arrived and we're top of the league now - I believe we've made some good additions while she's been here in terms of recruitment and there's some really good investment in the women's team from the club happening, so I guess time will tell - it's always hard to tell if a Sporting Director is doing well.

As you say, it would be nice to let her learn and be better for it - but I don't think that's in her plans.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

As for her ability to do her job, she seems good at it. 

I expect her to be good at her job as she is a big name in women’s football and no doubt has pull, but out of interest what has been done so far that makes you say she’s good at her job?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I expect her to be good at her job as she is a big name in women’s football and no doubt has pull, but out of interest what has been done so far that makes you say she’s good at her job?

Pretty much what @OutByEaster? said, above your post, Sam. It is early days, I acknowledge, but the Women's part of the club seems to be going well, and as she's the director responsible for the women's side and development etc. it would be harsh not to credit her with a part it that.

45 minutes ago, blandy said:

Pretty much what @OutByEaster? said, above your post, Sam. It is early days, I acknowledge, but the Women's part of the club seems to be going well, and as she's the director responsible for the women's side and development etc. it would be harsh not to credit her with a part it that.

I probably should have clicked forward a page before replying.

They definitely seem to be making moves, I just wasn’t sure how they were viewed as I’ve not done any research on the players they signed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Agree and she will probably end up being a future Tory prime minister candidate

You forgot to crowbar Trump and Brexit in there mate. 

Edited by TreeVillan

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It reads to me that she has no interest in other peoples opinions on the matter, no interest in being debated on it., no interest in what the public think about this - it's "I'm right and that's that".

I agree with this to some extent, but is anyone actually interested in debating it? The social media pile on has already decided that her opinion is wrong so in their view it is perfectly acceptable to pile on with personal abuse.

Whilst I don't agree with her on this matter, and her comments were naive given her role, I do fully support her right to speak freely and express a personal opinion...especially in times when the media are so keen to twist things out of context and shut down debate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thevillan99 said:

Whilst I don't agree with her on this matter, and her comments were naive given her role, I do fully support her right to speak freely and express a personal opinion...especially in times when the media are so keen to twist things out of context and shut down debate.

I'll throw an agree to that, good bit of talk 

I just don't know what she has said though as im late to all this conversation, so if anyone can fill me in quickly point me to a page, that's be great cheers

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I'll throw an agree to that, good bit of talk 

I just don't know what she has said though as im late to all this conversation, so if anyone can fill me in quickly point me to a page, that's be great cheers

Was a couple more aswell on twitter

A3597901-066B-43AB-B665-59877C4E103D.jpeg

CBEB7854-ABD3-4D59-9CFB-0FBC9246A8AD.jpeg

11 hours ago, thevillan99 said:

I agree with this to some extent, but is anyone actually interested in debating it? The social media pile on has already decided that her opinion is wrong so in their view it is perfectly acceptable to pile on with personal abuse.

Apparently when she got the womens England manager sacked for racist and bullying comments, she had no witnesses. Says slot really when it was said in the changing rooms with the whole team there.  Then she fought for the full compensation of 80k for 3 years even though she stated it's not about the money.

40 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Apparently when she got the womens England manager sacked for racist and bullying comments, she had no witnesses. Says slot really when it was said in the changing rooms with the whole team there.  Then she fought for the full compensation of 80k for 3 years even though she stated it's not about the money.

Doesn't sound good and not the sort of person I would want around the club.

I think reading the comments again cold has reinforced two things for me. The first is that they are stupid comments and insensitive, the second is that they have been exaggerated - the media summarising it as "furloughed workers are essentially lazy and just trying to avoid work" is a bit extreme, applying a devils advocate approach it could be summarised as "Furlough is necessary but we should be mindful of the long term affects and potential abuse by a small number of people".

Doesn't change the fact I don't like her...but the press tend to spin things based on their own agenda and I remain fully supportive of her right to free speech (whether or not I actually want to hear it).

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Exactly when she accused him of doing it, the next game for England I think it was parris who scored they all went up to him and celebrated, she’s just a vile person who it’s always me me me with her, someone wrote on twitter that she cut them up on gravelley hill and was flashing her lights and literally bumper to bumper with them giving them verbal abuse, she sounds a delightful person 

On 14/05/2020 at 11:40, villalad21 said:

Jeez.. just sack her already

Embarrassment of the club judging by her comments. Comes across dumb as a bag of hammers.

Her comments are clearly out of order and she shows very poor judgement by making them and the tone of her apology is also poor. But a first class honours degree in law does not suggest she is dumb as a bag of hammers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smg said:

Her comments are clearly out of order and she shows very poor judgement by making them and the tone of her apology is also poor. But a first class honours degree in law does not suggest she is dumb as a bag of hammers.

Just ignorant and perhaps Somewhat bigoted ? 

• Like 1

Â