Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I care, and am interested in the results, so please keep posting them SGC. 

Me too. And if someone goes to a game, a short write-up would be appreciated as I don't really follow the OS. 

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 00:25, sir_gary_cahill said:

Our women’s side beat Sheffield United women 3-1 at Boldmere St Michaels, it’s on our OS, will anyone care? I doubt it but I’ll post anyway, I hope to see them at some point

I am interested, so thanks for keeping us updated. 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2019 at 17:05, hippo said:

If they stop forcing it on people it will die.

It just isn't and probably never will be a popular spectator sport. I wish people would accept that. Women's tour de France has gone down a similar route and is now just annoying.

I held this view for a long time then I read up on the history of the women’s game, it was quite the eye opener. 

At one time it was getting good crowds and growing but was suppressed for a prolonged period by various bodies including the FA.

Now granted it is given a profile that isn’t really warranted and at times the BBC in particular come across as force feeding it to people which can be irritating. Although this owes a lot to their ever decreasing amount of live to air sport so they are grabbing women’s football with both hands.

Clearly some of the hype around the women’s game is OTT, the call for equal pay ridiculous and the standard is comparatively poor although rapidly improving. 

I can’t see the women’s game ever being on a par with the men’s but it will continue to grow and it will develop. It is absolutely right that Villa are putting more support to this side of the club having neglected it previously.

I personally don’t have an interest in the games/results and wouldn’t watch it but then there are lots of men’s matches I’m not bothered about watching either.

It will keep growing though I’m certain of that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I can’t see the women’s game ever being on a par with the men’s but it will continue to grow and it will develop.

Problem is the men's game will also grow and develop.

It's like a lion trying to chase a Cheetah. You can run forever but you will never catch it.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Problem is the men's game will also grow and develop.

It's like a lion trying to chase a Cheetah. You can run forever but you will never catch it.

Women will catch up for sure. But that is not important anyway. As long as the level is respectable, it's enough. I don't know if Villa Women's play is good enough, but WC in the summer certainly was. When keepers get bigger it'll take another step.

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Women will catch up for sure. But that is not important anyway. As long as the level is respectable, it's enough. I don't know if Villa Women's play is good enough, but WC in the summer certainly was. When keepers get bigger it'll take another step.

The best National Teams prepare to World Cups against 14 old boys and lose frequently.

Don't have anything against it getting more attention and investment but let's call a spade a spade.

The level is dogs*** compared to the men's game. 

World Cups is the future, club football not so much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The best National Teams prepare to World Cups against 14 old boys and lose frequently.

Don't have anything against it getting more attention and investment but let's call a spade a spade.

The level is dogs*** compared to the men's game. 

World Cups is the future, club football not so much.

I didn't mean that it was or was going to be, comparable to the men's game. If it was, women's football would not be needed at all, would it?

There will be a level or three between men's and women's football, but it's absolutely certain that women's game will get closer to men's. There's just so much more upside, because current level is so low.

What I was trying to say was that there was no need for women's game to reach the quality of men's game. They are two different worlds and men will always be a step above. Just like it is in, say, tennis.

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I held this view for a long time then I read up on the history of the women’s game, it was quite the eye opener. 

At one time it was getting good crowds and growing but was suppressed for a prolonged period by various bodies including the FA.

Now granted it is given a profile that isn’t really warranted and at times the BBC in particular come across as force feeding it to people which can be irritating. Although this owes a lot to their ever decreasing amount of live to air sport so they are grabbing women’s football with both hands.

Clearly some of the hype around the women’s game is OTT, the call for equal pay ridiculous and the standard is comparatively poor although rapidly improving. 

I can’t see the women’s game ever being on a par with the men’s but it will continue to grow and it will develop. It is absolutely right that Villa are putting more support to this side of the club having neglected it previously.

I personally don’t have an interest in the games/results and wouldn’t watch it but then there are lots of men’s matches I’m not bothered about watching either.

It will keep growing though I’m certain of that.

It will keep growing. Mainly because of this current feeling- that women are oppressed and we must level up the playing field....bit like the female terminator ! And the all women's Ocean 11 ....and Polly in peaky blinders !!!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Our women beat Liverpool women 2-0, Emily Syme and Emma Follis scored for them, they get very little coverage for some reason, I fail to see why, surely it should be equal between men and women 

That's not true it was top story on the official website last night!  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Our women beat Liverpool women 2-0, Emily Syme and Emma Follis scored for them, they get very little coverage for some reason, I fail to see why, surely it should be equal between men and women 

Because not many people are interested in women's football ?

• Like 1

Â