Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have never really understood it properly....so bear with me.

After seeing the last summers world cup, I was quite surprised and impressed to be honest. Which led me to thinking, why don't we all have a women's team attached to the  main football clubs.

They play at Home when the men play away from home, pardon the pun.

As I understand it the Women's teams are not attached to the football clubs......maybe they should be.

I think they are attached to the club now. 

• Thanks 1

To me it would make more sense to let the women have their own teams and franchises. Only 1200 turned up for a game that was free for season ticket holders. That tells me there is very little interest despite a massive marketing push.

Are there even enough women players for every mens club to have a womens team under the same name? Would it not have made more sense to have just one west midlands based team that could tap into all local fans from Villa, Blues, Albion & Wolves?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I've often wondered why they dont play on the same day as the men, maybe a couple of hours before. I'm always looking for an excuse to get to the ground earlier. Sure logistics need to be considered but would likely increase support.

This is what happens in the Australian league. Quite often the woman’s team play before the men’s match, when they are both at home the same weekend. 

On 13/10/2019 at 10:37, cheltenham_villa said:

I've often wondered why they dont play on the same day as the men, maybe a couple of hours before. I'm always looking for an excuse to get to the ground earlier. Sure logistics need to be considered but would likely increase support.

FFS no.

I hate this piggy backing onto the main event. If the product is good enough people will turn up watch and pay. The fact that they don't in any great numbers speaks volumes. 

Not against women playing footy - good on em - but it should stand alone.

• Like 1

It is sad they will never know how it is to play under a sold out Villa Park.

Just isn't great interest for women club football. I think when they played at Villa Park against Blackburn only 1.2 k people turned up.

Hopefully it will keep growing. But it does feel a bit pointless to play at Villa Park if they can't even fill up 20 % of the seats.

Hopefully they get promoted. That would help the interest a lot i think.

Edited by villalad21

Have said the same myself, not a bad idea although it only really works well for afternoon games. Not many would be turning up for a 9am kick off in order to get it done before a 12 o clock kick off but i guess the women could play after the men. Same with evening games, they would need to be kicking off at 4 o clock at the latest to give teams time to warm-up & tidy any issues with the pitch etc

The whole thing only really works if the fixtures are an exact mirror of the mens game though as you wouldn't potentially want 3 lots of fans mingling and what happens when the mens game is sold out with regards to getting people in and out of seats.

Don't mind the womens game at all but hate the combining of stats between the sports, england women eclipsing shiltons caps record etc, Scotland announced that mcginns was the first international hat-trick since....August when a Scots womans player scored a hat-trick.

Stop forcing it on people and it will grow naturally if the product is any good. The TV & press coverage for a sport that gets lower crowds at the top domestic level (despite generally costing less than a fiver for a whole familyto get in) than matches in the 7th/8th tier of mens football is madness.

It is a complete joke that you still can not watch live top flight football on a saturday at 3pm in this country yet you can tune into a womens game live on one of the bbc channels fine. Why do you think there are only usually 4 or so 3pm kick offs now every week...

Can't watch us play in the carabao cup as there is no tv coverage yet you can watch a random womens cup qualification game featuring a part time team from iceland with more people on the pitch than in the stands.

Edited by LakotaDakota

19 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Have said the same myself, not a bad idea although it only really works well for afternoon games. Not many would be turning up for a 9am kick off in order to get it done before a 12 o clock kick off but i guess the women could play after the men. Same with evening games, they would need to be kicking off at 4 o clock at the latest to give teams time to warm-up & tidy any issues with the pitch etc

The whole thing only really works if the fixtures are an exact mirror of the mens game though as you wouldn't potentially want 3 lots of fans mingling and what happens when the mens game is sold out with regards to getting people in and out of seats.

Don't mind the womens game at all but hate the combining of stats between the sports, england women eclipsing shiltons caps record etc, Scotland announced that mcginns was the first international hat-trick since....August when a Scots womans player scored a hat-trick.

Stop forcing it on people and it will grow naturally if the product is any good. The TV & press coverage for a sport that gets lower crowds at the top domestic level (despite generally costing less than a fiver for a whole familyto get in) than matches in the 7th/8th tier of mens football is madness.

It is a complete joke that you still can not watch live top flight football on a saturday at 3pm in this country yet you can tune into a womens game live on one of the bbc channels fine. Why do you think there are only usually 4 or so 3pm kick offs now every week...

Can't watch us play in the carabao cup as there is no tv coverage yet you can watch a random womens cup qualification game featuring a part time team from iceland with more people on the pitch than in the stands.

If they stop forcing it on people it will die.

It just isn't and probably never will be a popular spectator sport. I wish people would accept that. Women's tour de France has gone down a similar route and is now just annoying.

I like to get there early myself, avoid the rush, get a parking space, get a  drink, avoid the queues and just sit down and have a bit of me time in the stands.

If the women started playing beforehand I would have to start getting their later to be fair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pitches will be ruined for starters......maybe okay early in the season in fine autumnal weather but not in deepest darkest January when it's been pissing down for days.

You want a womens team to go on and rake up the pitch before the men play? No thank you.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

It just isn't and probably never will be a popular spectator sport. 

You say you don’t mind women’s football but then throughout this thread have said stuff like this numerous times. However, it is a growing sport and is becoming more and more popular. Chelsea and City had over 20k this season. The World Cup viewing figures were great. So in my eyes it clearly is becoming a spectator sport 

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You say you don’t mind women’s football but then throughout this thread have said stuff like this numerous times. However, it is a growing sport and is becoming more and more popular. Chelsea and City had over 20k this season. The World Cup viewing figures were great. So in my eyes it clearly is becoming a spectator sport 

I don't mind women playing football- but I hate the branding and it being forced upon us and it sort of piggy backing onto 'Football' - You say Chelsea and City had 20k ? - why is that ? - IMO - its because the male football teams of those clubs have been pretty successful in recent times - ask yourself how many Sunderland or Even our Aston Villa females draw ???

38 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't mind women playing football- but I hate the branding and it being forced upon us and it sort of piggy backing onto 'Football' - You say Chelsea and City had 20k ? - why is that ? - IMO - its because the male football teams of those clubs have been pretty successful in recent times - ask yourself how many Sunderland or Even our Aston Villa females draw ???

Why is that? it's because the tickets were free and nearly half of the 41000 or so they gave away didn't even bother turning up. Man city was free for season ticket holders and/or £7 for a family a couple of weeks after the world cup. 4 games in to the season and Man City despite winning every game are back to playing in front of less than 2000 people that are either getting in for free or paying £4.50 at most. (Season tickets for a full season including all cup & european games are only £49.50-£65, this would have worked out at not much more than £1 per game last year) You would think that with no mens football this weekend they would easily fill the 7000 capacity academy stadium but there were over 5000 empty seats and they didn't even bother opening up nearly half of the stadium, instead covering one end with a big flag and cramming everyone at the other end into a small pen taking up about 1/5 of the terrace.

This is the best team in the country and one of the best teams in europe, some of their players are getting paid 6 figures a year for this. The total attendance for the entire 110 match WSL fixtures last year was under 92000, Man citys 10 home games made up about 1/3 of this, The average over the whole leage is under 900 per game and again this is mostly people getting in for free or paying a quid or two.

Their official twitter coverage/commentary of their game on Saturday generated a total of 35 comments...

Try finding any mention at all of attendances anywhere at all on any of the BBC/Sky coverage, it is never mentioned unless it is one of the high 20k+ random boosts at the start if the season

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

Said it before on Womens football and I will say it again in this thread.  Simply move the Womens season to include the summer months that would increase crowds immediately.  I am bored to tears when there is no footy on so would go and watch The Villa ladies happily.

Viewing figures for the Womens World Cup were decent because it had no competition.

I was one of the 1200 at Villa Park weather was nice and I took my niece and 3 year old.  Nice little day out and I was happy to leave when they got a little bored!

It is not a high standard yet it's in its infancy but it will get better and it is something I can get behind if its Villa.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Said it before on Womens football and I will say it again in this thread.  Simply move the Womens season to include the summer months that would increase crowds immediately.  I am bored to tears when there is no footy on so would go and watch The Villa ladies happily.

Viewing figures for the Womens World Cup were decent because it had no competition.

I was one of the 1200 at Villa Park weather was nice and I took my niece and 3 year old.  Nice little day out and I was happy to leave when they got a little bored!

It is not a high standard yet it's in its infancy but it will get better and it is something I can get behind if its Villa.

Play it before the game

Play if After the game

Play it in the summer 

- I think the interest level and attendances will be much the same. No one is interested.

Our women’s side beat Sheffield United women 3-1 at Boldmere St Michaels, it’s on our OS, will anyone care? I doubt it but I’ll post anyway, I hope to see them at some point

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â