Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Didnt deano say he had trained with the squad in the USA?, as well as the couple of says he has now he's in the UK?, add tontheir the training sessions he had in Brazil?

I wonder how close he is to challenging for a first team slot?, might be closer than we think if he did have over a week training with the team so far in total....

I think it's OK to get excited about this one. He was (is?) wanted by Pep Guardiola.

Pep has since signed Rodri, to replace Fernandinho. If Pep Guardiola thinks this lad is in the same league as those two? I mean, we could be doing alright here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think it's OK to get excited about this one. He was (is?) wanted by Pep Guardiola.

Pep has since signed Rodri, to replace Fernandinho. If Pep Guardiola thinks this lad is in the same league as those two? I mean, we could be doing alright here. 

Had to get Rodri as Luiz plan backfired

I think Douglas Luis was bought as someone that could do the same job as Fernandinho. Rodri, trust me, is better than Fernandinho and better than Douglas Luis. He'll be an absolute revelation at City, which is probably why they're happy to sell Douglas to us. As well as the permit issues. 

We obviously don't know the terms of the buyback deal, my feeling is that it is there in case City think they can make some  serious money on buying him back and as an insurance policy. Probably not a buyback clause to bring him into their first 11, and I don't see Luiz becoming as good as Rodri. 

Presumably even if there is a Buyback clause that City decide to invoke because he turns out to be the player that Pep expects him to be and so his value has increased and assuming that means that we are doing reasonably well in the PL ourselves - we would still be in a pretty decent negotiating position.  I mean let's say that we bought him for £15 million and the Buyback clause is £30 million.  Then let's say the Luis becomes a key player in a relatively successful Villa side over the next couple of seasons and Man City decide that they think he is then worth £45 million but is not quite good enough to start for them and is unlikely to be willing to sit on their bench for most of the season.  It would still be a bit of a gamble for MC to buy him back at £30 million in the hope of making a quick £15 million by selling him on.  I think we would be in a decent position ' particularly if Luis is happy and the team are doing well (by which I am hoping that we are heading in the direction that NSWE and CP alluded to in their strategy - plans to be back competing in the top third) to negotiate a deal.  After all if we paid another £20 million to keep him - City have made an extra £5m and we have bought a £45m player for £35m.  Win win.  Obviously it is also possible that (a) Luis becomes the best player in the world and would walk into Man City's and we get very little "compensation" for his development (other than the reward of having him in the team), (b) Luis becomes our main player and we finish in the top 3 and look like being a title threat to MC so they buy him back and sell him overseas to undermine our threat or (c) Luis is great but we are "struggling" in mid / lower table position and so he has no interest in staying and wants to move somewhere that offers him more opportunity to win things - in which case we don't get quite as much money for him as we would want.

15 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Kalinic, in leggings, in summer! That guy must have balls made of candy floss. I recall the game where he first got injured last season. One of the commentators was laying into him for not showing more strength of character and he never appeared for the second half. 

Meanwhile, back to Dougie, I think if he shows enough in training he plays on Saturday. 

I thought Kalinic was concussed hence why he had to get taken off under the new rules?

4 hours ago, allani said:

(b) Luis becomes our main player and we finish in the top 3 and look like being a title threat to MC so they buy him back and sell him overseas to undermine our threat

Why would Luiz agree to that if it happened though?

4 hours ago, DevonVilla said:

The last player I was this excited about was Adama Traore, I've got a feeling this one might turn out differently!

Honestly I wasn't that excited. Highlights showed him running it down the line to the corner and no end product.... which is what we got... and what he still is. Wolves bought him for decent money and gave him 5-10 mins last season. All mouth no trousers footballer 

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Didnt deano say he had trained with the squad in the USA?, as well as the couple of says he has now he's in the UK?, add tontheir the training sessions he had in Brazil?

I wonder how close he is to challenging for a first team slot?, might be closer than we think if he did have over a week training with the team so far in total....

I think "personal Fitness" and "match fitness" is the difference......I guess his Personal fitness is what they are saying is ok.

7 hours ago, allani said:

Presumably even if there is a Buyback clause that City decide to invoke because he turns out to be the player that Pep expects him to be and so his value has increased and assuming that means that we are doing reasonably well in the PL ourselves - we would still be in a pretty decent negotiating position.  I mean let's say that we bought him for £15 million and the Buyback clause is £30 million.  Then let's say the Luis becomes a key player in a relatively successful Villa side over the next couple of seasons and Man City decide that they think he is then worth £45 million but is not quite good enough to start for them and is unlikely to be willing to sit on their bench for most of the season.  It would still be a bit of a gamble for MC to buy him back at £30 million in the hope of making a quick £15 million by selling him on.  I think we would be in a decent position ' particularly if Luis is happy and the team are doing well (by which I am hoping that we are heading in the direction that NSWE and CP alluded to in their strategy - plans to be back competing in the top third) to negotiate a deal.  After all if we paid another £20 million to keep him - City have made an extra £5m and we have bought a £45m player for £35m.  Win win.  Obviously it is also possible that (a) Luis becomes the best player in the world and would walk into Man City's and we get very little "compensation" for his development (other than the reward of having him in the team), (b) Luis becomes our main player and we finish in the top 3 and look like being a title threat to MC so they buy him back and sell him overseas to undermine our threat or (c) Luis is great but we are "struggling" in mid / lower table position and so he has no interest in staying and wants to move somewhere that offers him more opportunity to win things - in which case we don't get quite as much money for him as we would want.

There are many,many permutations.

The one I feel the most is.....He helps to keep us in this league and in the meantime we can plan for his replacement ( if we have to) We have bought many players this summer just to put us in a position to compete in this league....going forward, I envisage less quantity and more quality and the chances of buying duff or iffy players will be reduced.

I feel with these owners & prudent management we can leave those dark days behind us.

fingers crossed.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Kalinic, in leggings, in summer! 

My first thought looking at that photo was 2 stupid haircuts.

Must be an age thing 😋

Â