Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Being fit and being match fit are too entirely different things. It will take the guy a few weeks to get up to speed.

I'm hugely excited by him. Bit it's all down to hype. LIterally the only time I've seen him play is Saturday's few minutes. I didn't even bother with the YouTube videos :D 

Something about having a Brazilian player in the team, feels like anything is possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Something about having a Brazilian player in the team, feels like anything is possible.

Indeed.

Although to be fair with Luiz I think it's more about how badly Man City wanted him that excites me. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have to be honest, I saw enough in 10 minutes enough to know that as soon as he has the shirt he won't be giving it back.  

Blaming him for the 3rd goal is bizarre. By the time Sissoko is close enough he's already gone. 

what did you see that impressed you so much?

curious as i didnt get to see the full match, so didnt get to see his cameo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I saw a player who looks ridiculously comfortable with the ball at his feet, nonchalant. There was on particular moment that stood out, he put his foot on the ball and rolled it out before hitting a raking 40 yard pass right to a Villa shirt. It gave me that "there's a player" feeling, the type you don't get all that often from viewing one action alone. Another where he picked the ball up in front of the back four and roamed across the pitch looking for the right out ball in Greaish-esq fashion, before hitting his spot. He just looks like the deep lying playmaker I've always dreamed of, with a streak of controlled aggression in him. 

Whether he's 'up to the pace of the Premier League' yet remains to be seen, but there's only one way he's going to learn that.

look forward to him taking the DM spot by the sound of it......hopefully Bournemouth isnt too soon.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

look forward to him taking the DM spot by the sound of it......hopefully Bournemouth isnt too soon.

I think Hourihane had a fine game too and will be fine for Bournemouth, but I think when this lad does get hold of it he won't be giving it back. 

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have to be honest, I saw enough in 10 minutes enough to know that as soon as he has the shirt he won't be giving it back.  

Blaming him for the 3rd goal is bizarre. By the time Sissoko is close enough he's already gone. 

It was weird for me cos I felt the same but couldn't out my finger on why. Although he didn't do much in the 10 minutes, there was something about those few minutes made me think this guy is going to be class. Maybe he just has that aura!! He looked confident when he was on the ball

• Like 1

When he came on the game was gone, the pace had ratcheted up a good few notches and were struggling to make anything stick, but he received the ball, under pressure, cold from just entering the game but looked totally at home, like his body clock was at a different speed, he was in bullet-time. Cool as a cucumber. Didn’t miss a beat as far as I could see.

• Like 2

Actually could see him starting on Saturday. Full week's training and would imagine given it's a free week we'll arrange behind closed doors friendly to get players up to speed.

Can manage 60 minutes I'm sure and then Marvellous can come in.

Maybe harsh on Hourihane but he's not a long term option for DM at this level, will more likely come in for games McGinn is suspended for.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Same here.  I can’t wait for him to get up to speed.   I think he’s going to be some player.

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He just looks like the deep lying playmaker I've always dreamed of, with a streak of controlled aggression in him. 

It looks like that. My question is whether we can afford a DPL at this time. A tougher more intense and tenacious physical tackling anchor seems a better fit for us against everyone that's a better team. Which is probably most of the league. 

I have no doubts a DPL is where Deano wants to be and the tactical idea he has in his head, but how many matches can we afford that? 

7 hours ago, skarroki said:

I like him because of his throwback hair. You just don't get footballers with that hairstyle anymore. A jay-jay okocha, Abel Xavier hybrid, reborn. 

I like to think if you've got that hair, you're bloody good and know it.

I'll forever think the same when I see particularly garish pair of boots like the horrors Jack is wearing.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It looks like that. My question is whether we can afford a DPL at this time. A tougher more intense and tenacious physical tackling anchor seems a better fit for us against everyone that's a better team. Which is probably most of the league. 

I have no doubts a DPL is where Deano wants to be and the tactical idea he has in his head, but how many matches can we afford that? 

I see where you’re coming from and Marvelous may be that player. When all our midfielders are up to speed Smith could have a selection dilemma. 

On 12/08/2019 at 16:47, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I saw a player who looks ridiculously comfortable with the ball at his feet, nonchalant. There was on particular moment that stood out, he put his foot on the ball and rolled it out before hitting a raking 40 yard pass right to a Villa shirt. It gave me that "there's a player" feeling, the type you don't get all that often from viewing one action alone. Another where he picked the ball up in front of the back four and roamed across the pitch looking for the right out ball in Greaish-esq fashion, before hitting his spot. He just looks like the deep lying playmaker I've always dreamed of, with a streak of controlled aggression in him. 

Whether he's 'up to the pace of the Premier League' yet remains to be seen, but there's only one way he's going to learn that.

God knows I’ve no enthusiasm for disagreement, ( so please view this as nothing more than a small observation !) but...

Ill say  straight out ordinarily I wouldn’t comment on a guy who played 10 minutes.

But your comments perplexed me..

And especially since some were interested how he did I thought I’d chip in.

Because my opinion, at the game, was that for a DM he didn’t really do any DM ing. I didn’t mind, As like I said, what do you expect in 10 minutes.

And today was the first time I’ve properly analysed the game....and thought the same.

Then I read your Post and I thought “ jeez how did I miss all that ?”....so I’ve just watched his 10 minutes again.

Then I had to watch it again, while referring back to your observations, as I couldn’t see what you were referring to.

(I have to confess one of the reasons I rewatch games several times is I am pretty poor at any details, I’m more of an overall atmosphere person).....so it didn’t surprise me I missed it.

But the second ( and third ) rewatch meant I finally knew the bits you must have meant....but ( in my eyes/ opinion) they didn’t look like that to me.

The raking 40 yard pass, if I’ve got the right one ( there were only about 4 passes so I think I’m right) was (as I see it) a standard, no pressure on him, 20 metre pass out to the wing. About as run of the mill as it’s gets.

Then twice in a minute later on he picked the ball up in front of the Back 4 and made ( again in my view) very basic ( Whelan - esque) passes. 

I didn’t / don’t think there was anything good ( or bad) about any of them. Not arguing, just saying we see things differently.

He certainly looked comfortable on the ball, but then, I think they pretty much all do !

There WAS one moment of very nice skill when he brought a clearance down well and dinked a little side pass.

But what did stand out, for me, was his absence for the third, but especially the second, goal.

The third I pretty much go along with you saying Sissoko  was all but gone....but I reckon he had the chance to foul him.

The second though ? Jack loses the ball but there is a moment when a sharp DM could get a tackle in. Luiz doesn’t appear to try to.

Do I blame him, fault him, or whatever....absolutely not. First game, only 10 minutes, opposition rampant.

But it suggested to me he’s not ready ( up to speed ).At least for the defensive side. Which you raised yourself.

Anyway...I’m not trying to make a song and dance about it. 

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@terrytini

He wasn’t that good. But there’s just something about him.  I know you can see it.

I know, speaking for myself, how much I want us to have a Brazilian playmaker. I’ve probably wanted that since 1970 ! So I’m going to be extra extra careful not to project onto him what I want him to be, having done that with too many players these last ten years. (I’m not saying anyone else is doing that either, no snidely sneaky hidden message !)

I fully trust our recruitment. I did watch the meaningless YouTube videos and enjoyed them. I can’t wait to see him play.

But if ( IF) I were to judge him on those 10 minutes id have to say I’m not sure of his defensive qualities. But I’m not going to make that judgement.

Id say, if pressed, the “ something” about him was a swagger and a confidence. No bad thing.

• Like 2

Â