Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In retrospect him being 5'2 is likely why he didn't start against Spurs. 

Dion Dublin doesn't help things like this by inventing Grealish is 6' 2"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know Hourihane is quite fashionable at the moment, and basically hasn’t put a foot wrong, but  I think we played Hourihane at “DM” because he does have creative attributes in terms of assists and goals, but also out of necessity as the alternative was an elderly(!) Whelan. However, I think Luiz’s range of passing, coolness on the ball and (yet to be seen/appreciated) tackling ability should allow Jack and McGinn more freedom of movement further up the pitch. I do see Hourihane more as back up to Jack and McGinn rather than a third DM along with Luiz and Nakamba.

We clearly now have strength in depth and will be able to rotate the squad match to match, but I can see Smith easing the new boys in over the first third of the season to encourage familiarity that served us well, unlike Fulham who immediately displaced the promoted players. I think the DM role/third midfielder after J&McG will be one of either Luiz and Nakamba once they have been blooded.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I know Hourihane is quite fashionable at the moment, and basically hasn’t put a foot wrong, but  I think we played Hourihane at “DM” because he does have creative attributes in terms of assists and goals, but also out of necessity as the alternative was an elderly(!) Whelan. However, I think Luiz’s range of passing, coolness on the ball and (yet to be seen/appreciated) tackling ability should allow Jack and McGinn more freedom of movement further up the pitch. I do see Hourihane more as back up to Jack and McGinn rather than a third DM along with Luiz and Nakamba.

We clearly now have strength in depth and will be able to rotate the squad match to match, but I can see Smith easing the new boys in over the first third of the season to encourage familiarity that served us well, unlike Fulham who immediately displaced the promoted players. I think the DM role/third midfielder after J&McG will be one of either Luiz and Nakamba once they have been blooded.

This is exactly how I see it, Hourihane has done a cracking job for us at DM out of necessity, it's not his preferred position, now we have 2 new DM's I expect him to be used further forward, once they have settled.

I trust Smith to know when that will be.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Is Hourihane ‘fashionable’? I’ve seen more people saying he should never play DM again than saying he should. He did have a good game against Spurs but most people seem to be saying he should be out despite that. 

30 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Is Hourihane ‘fashionable’? I’ve seen more people saying he should never play DM again than saying he should. He did have a good game against Spurs but most people seem to be saying he should be out despite that. 

Count me in that number, I think we should use Luiz or Nakamba there.

In fairness to Hourihane he made no errors against Spurs, but he is riding a wave of positivity: Play off final berth, good stats last season, new contract, 2 goals vs Leipzig, solid game vs Spurs. It’s hard to leave him out but reality bites and sentiment has little room when you are fighting for every point.

I think/hope Luiz or Nakamba unburdens Grealish and McGinn and allows them to be more effective, which in turn improves the front three.

Edited by thunderball

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Count me in that number, I think we should use Luiz or Nakamba there.

In fairness to Hourihane he made no errors against Spurs, but he is riding a wave of positivity: Play off final berth, good stats last season, new contract, 2 goals vs Leipzig, solid game vs Spurs. It’s hard to leave him out but reality bites and sentiment has little room when you are fighting for every point.

I think/hope Luiz or Nakamba unburdens Grealish and McGinn and allows them to be more effective, which in turn improves the front three.

Totally understand your point. I do think that’s the general consensus though, so I would say he’s going out of fashion if anything. 

For what it’s worth, I would keep him in, in fact I would probably start the same eleven again. Just my personal opinion though :) 

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Totally understand your point. I do think that’s the general consensus though, so I would say he’s going out of fashion if anything. 

For what it’s worth, I would keep him in, in fact I would probably start the same eleven again. Just my personal opinion though :) 

Just posted similar in the pre-match thread, I feel the same 11 will start today except for possibly Targett replacing Taylor.

• Like 1

Is it too simplistic to say so many of our players are nowhere near match fit yet?

As much as people were patting themselves on the back over our summer signings we only got two players in the DM position very late in the window. Of course we signed Luiz mid July but he didn't get his work permit through until August so hardly played in pre season like Marvellous.

Guess we'll see him possibly being subbed at half time and Hourihane back in for Everton.

Â