Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's key but he's annoyingly one of our most replaceable players. Sell him for 100m and buy Palacios from Leverkusen and you wouldn't see a huge drop off. Sell Pau, Ollie, Martinez, Konsa, Bailey etc and we're struggling.

If only it was that easy, players don't always settle into clubs, countries or areas, Doug has and is obviously comfortable at the villa and this has allowed him to grow into the player he is today.

Other players don't and it can take time or never happen despite their technical ability been more than good enough. We have seen this with Bailey and we are currently watching it with Diaby,  ability is only one factor amongst many that make players successful at clubs .

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's key but he's annoyingly one of our most replaceable players. Sell him for 100m and buy Palacios from Leverkusen and you wouldn't see a huge drop off. Sell Pau, Ollie, Martinez, Konsa, Bailey etc and we're struggling.

Sort of agree… but I wouldn’t put Konsa or Bailey in the irreplaceable for £100m category. Maybe not even Watkins, although he’s very much key to how we play.

I think Luiz is very important for us. He’s not a dominating midfielder, but his positioning, passing and creativity are absolutely vital to how we play right now. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sort of agree… but I wouldn’t put Konsa or Bailey in the irreplaceable for £100m category. Maybe not even Watkins, although he’s very much key to how we play.

I think Luiz is very important for us. He’s not a dominating midfielder, but his positioning, passing and creativity are absolutely vital to how we play right now. 

That's fair, I do think it's hard to find a CB with Konsa's skillset though. In the PL, the closest comparison I see is Saliba, and we're not getting anyone of that level without paying 60m+.

Watkins is absolutely irreplaceable IMO. There are maybe 10 strikers of his quality in the world.

• Like 1

Most of this will become irrelevant when the PL have their meeting in June to announce new rules on FFP which will suit clubs with Billionaire owners but not the likes of Brentford West Ham Wolves Bournmouth to name a few.Basically the top 6 and a few other clubs outside will be free to spend as much as they like as long as the spend is backed up with guarantees a type of escrow account.

2 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Most of this will become irrelevant when the PL have their meeting in June to announce new rules on FFP which will suit clubs with Billionaire owners but not the likes of Brentford West Ham Wolves Bournmouth to name a few.Basically the top 6 and a few other clubs outside will be free to spend as much as they like as long as the spend is backed up with guarantees a type of escrow account.

Source for this?

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Totally disagree.

21 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

There is none, anything like this would have to be voted for by a Majority of teams

Needs 14 clubs to agree and it goes through and there are at least that many with billionaire owners.

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Totally disagree.

Sorry, poor phrasing.

Most replaceable from our highly valuable assets.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sorry, poor phrasing.

Most replaceable from our highly valuable assets.

You're right, tbf.

Had this conversation with somebody earlier. Martinez, Watkins and to a *slightly* lesser extent, Torres, will be virtually impossible to replace - certainly for less than a staggering amount of £. Luiz is replaceable because the pool of quality central midfielders is greater than quality strikers. And, I mean, how do you replace the best keeper in the world? 

I know some won't like to hear it but players like Bailey, McGinn, Konsa, Kamara etc. Yes, they're all fantastic, but there are better players out there, or certainly players as good, you've just got to find them. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

And UEFA will follow suit? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Needs 14 clubs to agree and it goes through and there are at least that many with billionaire owners.

So when you said this "Basically the top 6 and a few other clubs outside" you actually meant it would suit the majority of the league?

55 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Sorry should have put this in FFP thread 

1 minute ago, MSvillain said:

So when you said this "Basically the top 6 and a few other clubs outside" you actually meant it would suit the majority of the league?

Looking at the lack of spending in the January window where Brentford have become the biggest spenders the answer is yes because most clubs seem to be on the brink of falling foul of FFP.Sky sports transfer programme was as lively as a dead sheep in January window.

8 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

To be fair there should be a system that suits 92 clubs not just a % of the top tier - but that’s OT! For Villa, if we have to sell to buy that’s just a case of balancing the books and that’s fair enough in any business.

As for Dougie - I see both sides. I get that at £100m you can find other great midfielders - but even the best can take time to settle.

Also as someone who always sang his praises and said to be patient when others were saying he was rubbish and to get rid, I just want to enjoy him for another season or two ;)

13 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Course I can argue with it. it's not just the numbers he's been instrumental in our form this season and everything good we've done. The idea that banging a bird is causing him to lose focus is ludicrous. Absolute nonsense. Every player in the squad is probably in a relationship ffs. 

Who said anything about that's what is causing him to lose focus? If they did I missed that part of the convo. And I didn't say you couldn't argue with it, I said you can't argue with the numbers he's putting up, in a good way, ffs.

Â