Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Just now, The_Steve said:

Pathetic, anonymous second half. We struggle a lot when he's a passenger. Too many wayward passes. Too arrogant after that first half display.

The whole midfield was anonymous 2nd half because the back line lost composure and were just booting it long. 

That said Dougie has been off his best for a little while now which is a worry.

I think teams like to really crowd Dougie to take him out of the match and it was a noticeable tactic by Luton in the second half. They really try to pin the ball to our fullbacks who don’t always escape for various reasons. 

It means that the ball to Watkins is on since Dougie is man marked by one or two players sometimes but the referee hates calling fouls for Watkins because he doesn’t flop over. 

• Like 1

There’s a common theme when we lose control of games that dougie has become anonymous. That’s either due to him switching off a bit or being marked out of the game. Often a combo of both I guess. Luton made the centre of the pitch v congested in that second half which would have made it difficult. But I think there were a couple of times where Luiz made a couple of rash decisions in possession at 2-0 when he could have slowed things down to take the sting out of the game.

I think this is the other area where we really miss Pau. Without him (as well as Kamara), we really massively on dougie for control 

• Like 1

I've said this before I think he goes missing in a lot games when we are under pressure.

Not targeted but goes ball shy, doesn't want the ball and just hides in the middle.

Often the ball goes round the back to wing and the back again and he just doesn't offer that pass back into the middle. Especially on goal kicks.

I would post a picture but it won't let me to explain what I mean.

Technically very good but for me too often plays it safe.

On 02/03/2024 at 20:05, avfc1982am said:

Seriously? Scored twice last week been fantastic all season bar the odd game. His numbers suggest he's not lost any focus.

Not all about numbers though, which you can't argue with. But some games he hasn't stamped his authority as much as he normally does.

He has lost Kamara alongside him remember.  He and McGinn are having to create a balance between themselves in central midfield and they both looked pretty knackered by the end of the game.  It's not ideal that both will probably have to play nearly every minute of every game from now on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Not all about numbers though, which you can't argue with. But some games he hasn't stamped his authority as much as he normally does.

Course I can argue with it. it's not just the numbers he's been instrumental in our form this season and everything good we've done. The idea that banging a bird is causing him to lose focus is ludicrous. Absolute nonsense. Every player in the squad is probably in a relationship ffs. 

On 02/03/2024 at 22:18, DJBOB said:

I think teams like to really crowd Dougie to take him out of the match and it was a noticeable tactic by Luton in the second half. They really try to pin the ball to our fullbacks who don’t always escape for various reasons. 

It means that the ball to Watkins is on since Dougie is man marked by one or two players sometimes but the referee hates calling fouls for Watkins because he doesn’t flop over. 

I think it's worse when Kamara isn't playing.  When he is - if teams stick two men on Doug then we just pass the ball to Kamara and he can do a similar job (maybe not quite as incisive with his passing).  Unfortunately, McGinn / Tielemans / Ramsey aren't ideally suited to that role and are much more effective higher up.  Leaving McGinn or Ramsey free 10 yards outside our own box is not that risky.  It's the challenge we have with maintaining an effective balance given the players we have.  I think we definitely need to recruit in this area (especially with Kamara out for a while) so that we have options that don't involve taking players out of the roles in which they thrive and which then impact on the effectiveness of others.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

I think it's worse when Kamara isn't playing.  When he is - if teams stick two men on Doug then we just pass the ball to Kamara and he can do a similar job (maybe not quite as incisive with his passing).  Unfortunately, McGinn / Tielemans / Ramsey aren't ideally suited to that role and are much more effective higher up.  Leaving McGinn or Ramsey free 10 yards outside our own box is not that risky.  It's the challenge we have with maintaining an effective balance given the players we have.  I think we definitely need to recruit in this area (especially with Kamara out for a while) so that we have options that don't involve taking players out of the roles in which they thrive and which then impact on the effectiveness of others.

Yes we had the same problem United away when they tilted the whole press to make sure the ball stayed on Dendoncker’s side. Its just natural they try to take out Dougie and force our other players to be the threat. 

Work in progress and hoping to see some recruits for the double pivot in the summer. 

• Like 1

He's key but he's annoyingly one of our most replaceable players. Sell him for 100m and buy Palacios from Leverkusen and you wouldn't see a huge drop off. Sell Pau, Ollie, Martinez, Konsa, Bailey etc and we're struggling.

Â