Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 10/04/2021 at 20:04, AndyM3000 said:

If the buy back clause is too cheap they won't care. Loan him out for a season to Spain again or just make a profit with a loan to buy, they have a few options but I think they try and get him back.

they need all their FFP headroom for a new striker. they won't waste 30m on someone who hasn't been great all season and not guaranteed to make profit on.

just because the clause expires this summer doesn't prevent them buying him in the future if/when he becomes good enough for them. it's not a now or never scenario.

if he becomes a superstar in a couple of years they'll just give us 40/50m for him anyway and not bat an eyelid.

• Like 1

I have been disappointed with Dougie for quite a while now but watching how brilliant Gueye is for PSG tonight is proving a timely reminder of the need for patience. I know they are different types of player but we were all glad to see the back of Gueye and just look at what he has achieved since.

Both Sanson and Dougie have got the quality to be very good players for us. I am sure we will see that quality coming through next season. I think they can both be effective 8’s in front of a dedicated 6. Add in a quality and pacy right forward and we will be a different proposition I’m sure.

• Like 2

He's been off form for a while but wrong to say he's simply been rubbish, like a few I too thought he was decent enough on Saturday. For example I barely saw Wjanaldum do anything before he was subbed so Doug played his part in nulifying him.

I'd say this btw....we have 3rd best defence in league....so surely the guy who's been playing as DM for 90% of the season should be praised a bit of contributing to that just like Kante gets praised when Chelsea have strong defensive seasons.

Anyway seems Man. City are strongly considering bringing Yangel Herrera back into their squad next season, he's similar to Doug in how he plays:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-granada-yangel-herrera-20337205

I think I'm in the minority. I appreciate he is a very technical player, but I'm really not that impressed. I think he hadn't got the awareness (yet), to play cdm. I don't think he has the pace or drive to play ad a box to box midfielder. So is he a number 10.

I definitely don't think he's a bad player, I just don't think he's a fit for us at the moment. 

Edited by Stratvillan
  • Like 2

For context :

In terms of age Luiz (born in may 1998) is closer to Ramsey (2001) than to McGinn (1994).

His level of performances has noticeably dropped since the covid break but I'm confident it will be part of his learning curve and he'll come back a better player for it. 

There's bags of ability in there. I'd love him to score another long ranger, those goals early on in his villa career were tasty af

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Were we? He was our standout player that season and the only one that did himself some justice along with maybe Ayew.

I agree can’t write either of those players off though. The potential is there. 

i disagree. i thought he was utter shite for us.

On 13/04/2021 at 22:16, Stratvillan said:

I think I'm in the minority. I appreciate he is a very technical player, but I'm really not that impressed. I think he hadn't got the awareness (yet), to play cdm. I don't think he has the pace or drive to play ad a box to box midfielder. So is he a number 10.

I definitely don't think he's a bad player, I just don't think he's a fit for us at the moment. 

No I agree he's never going to be a box to box midfield player. hes technically gifted so could play as a number 10 or am. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 09:38, tomav84 said:

i disagree. i thought he was utter shite for us.

He started the season really well. Wasn't he well up with Kante for tackles but he dropped off like the rest

On 13/04/2021 at 20:54, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was our standout player that season and the only one that did himself some justice along with maybe Ayew.

Couldn't agree more ... and we didn't even use him properly.  Sherwood and those that followed tried to use him to replace Delph (as a marauding "8") when he was a "6", but they insisted on using Westwood and Sanchez as a "6"! 😟

I was desperate to see Geuye and Veretout playing as a CM pair with Jack in front at "10" but I don't remember seeing it happen once.  I believe that we would have stayed up with that midfield!

On 13/04/2021 at 22:53, Vive_La_Villa said:

He seems to have lost the energy and tenacity he showed after lockdown last season. He was man of the match pretty much every game during the period. Was it just a purple patch? 

He looked pretty good in a CM three with SJM and Barkley earlier in the season.  Faultless against Plop and Arsenal (a).  The whole trio have gone from being A* to D- and it is so confusing.  Smith certainly doesn't appear to have the answer to sort it out at this stage.

4 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Couldn't agree more ... and we didn't even use him properly.  Sherwood and those that followed tried to use him to replace Delph (as a marauding "8") when he was a "6", but they insisted on using Westwood and Sanchez as a "6"! 😟

I was desperate to see Geuye and Veretout playing as a CM pair with Jack in front at "10" but I don't remember seeing it happen once.  I believe that we would have stayed up with that midfield!

We could have had Man City’s midfield and we still would have gone down. Place was toxic.

I maintain that Doug was as good as anyone in defensive midfield in the PL between the end of first lockdown and the covid outbreak and at the age of 22 there's no reason to think he won't eventually be able to play to that standard most weeks.  He was great at being in the right place to break up play in the modern way where you aren't allowed to dive into tackles and survive on sheer strength alone.  He also was comfortable in taking the ball into his feet in dangerous areas and obviously has a big role in us playing out from the back.  Nakamba had his best match away to Leeds when the pitch was so bad it made playing football almost impossible but when he has played elsewhere there is a glaring weakness there.  Doug has also picked up a lot of bookings recently which a) shows he is out of form and not timing his defensive duties as well as before and b) restricting him in the rest of the match.  

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

He started the season really well. Wasn't he well up with Kante for tackles but he dropped off like the rest

Not even close according to whoscored. He averaged a bit more than 1 succesful tackle per game in the first 5 pl games. Kante's average this season so far is 2.7 successful tackle per game.

48 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Not even close according to whoscored. He averaged a bit more than 1 succesful tackle per game in the first 5 pl games. Kante's average this season so far is 2.7 successful tackle per game.

Sorry I was talking about Gueye the season he was with us and when Kante was at leicester 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Sorry I was talking about Gueye the season he was with us and when Kante was at leicester 

Oh my bad, lol. But yeah, Gueye's tackling numbers were great too that season. 4.2 successful tackles per 90 compared to Kante's 5.2 successful tackles per 90 that season.

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I maintain that Doug was as good as anyone in defensive midfield in the PL between the end of first lockdown and the covid outbreak and at the age of 22 there's no reason to think he won't eventually be able to play to that standard most weeks.  He was great at being in the right place to break up play in the modern way where you aren't allowed to dive into tackles and survive on sheer strength alone.  He also was comfortable in taking the ball into his feet in dangerous areas and obviously has a big role in us playing out from the back.  Nakamba had his best match away to Leeds when the pitch was so bad it made playing football almost impossible but when he has played elsewhere there is a glaring weakness there.  Doug has also picked up a lot of bookings recently which a) shows he is out of form and not timing his defensive duties as well as before and b) restricting him in the rest of the match.  

I don't think he does the defensive midfield role at all, he is a box to box all-rounder at best. Not saying he is not capable of tackling, but he isn't very good at it, or winning balls in the air or winning 50/50s. He is good at interceptions and certainly can cover the back four, but I don't think he is naturally a defensive midfielder. I don't think he plays that role for Brazil either.

He is still young and has undoubted talent but something isn't right at the moment.

• Like 1

Â