Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

30 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need to make it a point to all tune in next time they play.

Doesn't matter what happens. People have their minds made up about plenty of things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah Brazil in last few games he's started always have Casemiro as the pure DM and Doug plays slightly infront, still mainly defensive but gets forward when he can.

I still think he could do that for us but McGinn is also supposed to play that role....and Sanson also seems that type so if we're not careful it's going to be a very samey midfield even though ironically none of them can actually score these days.

Thats what I see Chris......too samey midfield, not bad players, too similar.....certain jobs like heading the ball, not being done often or good enough.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Your insistent on forcing Luiz out of his natural role makes sense now.  You see the DM position as a non-footballer role for an athletic tackler who wins the ball and immediately gives it up. 

It doesn't have to be played that way.  When Luiz is on his game he literally runs the entire attack from deep. If anything, you leave Luiz right where he is and give him a front 3 of attackers he can release down the channels. 

It amazes me that a footballer can declare his favored position, his manager agree, and some football fans can go " no you're both wrong." 😂

So you think that the Casemiro, Rice, Busquets, etc are non- Footballers.....is Rodrigo and Fermandinho, non footballers too.....I guess Fabinho is your idea of a non footballer too......all those players are also equipped to deal with high balls too, another attribute to compliment their footballing prowess.

You are pedalling a false narrative, here.

Most of our fans favour 2 up top, so your reference to the manager being right on all fronts has holes in in too.....The player will favour the position that gets him game time and where he is asked to play, so what do you expect him to say, He hates it there?

No one is suggesting, that Dougie doesn't have natural ability on the ball, but we are looking for balance and winning the ball and breaking up play, cutting out long balls is a pre- requisite for, CDM....being comfortable with the ball to start attacks is also a requirement, but that alone, is not enough, is the point.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

So you think that the Casemiro, Rice, Busquets, etc are non- Footballers.....is Rodrigo and Fermandinho, non footballers too.....I guess Fabinho is your idea of a non footballer too......all those players are also equipped to deal with high balls too, another attribute to compliment their footballing prowess.

You are pedalling a false narrative, here.

Most of our fans favour 2 up top, so your reference to the manager being right on all fronts has holes in in too.....The player will favour the position that gets him game time and where he is asked to play, so what do you expect him to say, He hates it there?

No one is suggesting, that Dougie doesn't have natural ability on the ball, but we are looking for balance and winning the ball and breaking up play, cutting out long balls is a pre- requisite for, CDM....being comfortable with the ball to start attacks is also a requirement, but that alone, is not enough, is the point.

I was responding to someone who called the DM position "limited." If anything my post was trying to show that the modern DM position is far from limited.  All the footballers you just named play a very expansive role for their team.  Footballers that back up my point fully, so thank you. 

As far as Douglas goes.  He has already shown the quality, now we are just looking for the consistency. That comes with age and experience.  He is 22, just finishing his second full season of premier league football.  Please give him some time to perfect the position that he and the Villa management team both believe he is best at. 

3 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

It amazes me that a footballer can declare his favored position, his manager agree, and some football fans can go " no you're both wrong." 😂

Are you saying we shouldnt play Keinan Davis in midfield as well :D 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

I was responding to someone who called the DM position "limited." If anything my post was trying to show that the modern DM position is far from limited.  All the footballers you just named play a very expansive role for their team.  Footballers that back up my point fully, so thank you. 

As far as Douglas goes.  He has already shown the quality, now we are just looking for the consistency. That comes with age and experience.  He is 22, just finishing his second full season of premier league football.  Please give him some time to perfect the position that he and the Villa management team both believe he is best at. 

As for you first paragraph, apologies for receiving you wrong.

second paragraph, i hope you are right, but i have my doubts.....I see Dougie as a No8 and some of the jobs like high balls or physical presence ,will not be fixed with time, or experience...his natural ball control is better served further forward.

He himself said he is better at the following things:

“I have a good long pass, I’m good at marking, I have dribbling skills and I’m a good out-ball,”

That sounds to me like the perfect partner for a destroyer cdm (a better Nakamba in you like), and much more like a traditional number 8 than a 6.

He also said he's still learning:

“At Villa part of my role is to close spaces to allow our full-backs to have more space. But I’m only 22 so there’s still a lot to learn, a lot of maturing to do. 

Maybe if he picks up on the defensive minded attributes he can be the all in one,  but if he doesn't, and we don't play someone like Nakamba alongside him,  it is easy for us to get picked apart, especially so when we don't carry our own threat in the form of Grealish.

If Jack's in the team, the opposition have to sacrifice an extra man to cover him,  and gives our less defence minded CDMs the chance to do what they do well, without being so exposed.

He could well be a number 6, I certainly think he's got the potential ability to be, but don't think he's capable of that role at the moment.

• Like 4

I think it's safe to say Man City aren't going to be phoning any time soon...

Awful display tonight, didn't fight for or dominate a single duel. Every 50/50 ball he backed out of.

I really think the midfield are having a battle to see who can be the worst each week. Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba, Barkley... There's barely a successful pass between them, never a decent tackle and absolutely no quality on the ball. Can we afford an entire new midfield?!

I've defended him a lot this season, and I still see him as a quality prospect. But he has been sloppy recently. I don't think his lack of physicality is the issue (that will come with age) but more his lapses of concentration and lack of urgency.

His cool head under pressure is one of his strengths, but sometimes he takes that too far and does need to be more aware of danger.

He looks like he has switched off after a good start to the season, and isn't fighting for anything (which is true of a lot of our players tbf). I'm sure he'll get out of this rut, but something needs to change.

FWIW I don't think the answer is playing him higher up the pitch. It would still be the same problem. It's a mental thing, not a positional thing.

The Luiz from the Palace match to the Luiz today is quite the drop off.

He needs to have a look at himself and figure out what he wants to do in his career.

He's coasting badly and he ain't good enough to do that.

56 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

But City are going to buy him back. Er no not really. 

Still young hopefully just going through a bad patch but guilty of losing the ball in dangerous areas all the time tonight.

all the time, most nights.

57 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I've defended him a lot this season, and I still see him as a quality prospect. But he has been sloppy recently. I don't think his lack of physicality is the issue (that will come with age) but more his lapses of concentration and lack of urgency.

His cool head under pressure is one of his strengths, but sometimes he takes that too far and does need to be more aware of danger.

He looks like he has switched off after a good start to the season, and isn't fighting for anything (which is true of a lot of our players tbf). I'm sure he'll get out of this rut, but something needs to change.

FWIW I don't think the answer is playing him higher up the pitch. It would still be the same problem. It's a mental thing, not a positional thing.

He marks space, its nifty to get close now and again........their second came from a failed duel by him to close down on the edge of the area and the ball was played in for Rodrigo to score from yes " an aerial ball" ....what Man City, Aerial Ball, yep.

We all want all our players, to play well....sometimes we have to say it like it is.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

He marks space, its nifty to get close now and again........their second came from a failed duel by him to close down on the edge of the area and the ball was played in for Rodrigo to score from yes " an aerial ball" ....what Man City, Aerial Ball, yep.

We all want all our players, to play well....sometimes we have to say it like it is.

Their second from Martinez coming out, getting nowhere near the ball and punching Mings in the head.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Their second from Martinez coming out, getting nowhere near the ball and punching Mings in the head.

before that, it started with Luiz failing to win his duel.....Rodrigo got in front of Mings anyway...

The damage was done earlier in the play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

before that, it started with Luiz failing to win his duel.....Rodrigo got in front of Mings anyway...

The damage was done earlier in the play.

Genuinely enjoyed that, thanks.

When we concede, do you just go back until you find Luiz near the ball so you can blame him?

Any number of players could have stopped that move. However it wouldn't have ended up in a goal if Emi didn't come out and get nowhere near it. He catches a soft header.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â