Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That’s not how a buyback clause works.

If Man City want him back, they get him back for the agreed price.   

No new contract for Luiz negates the buyback clause.

I'm well aware of that. However, if we convince him to stay, e.g. Using some of the £10m that was suggested towards Luiz's new contract, Man City won't be able to do a thing about it. 

3 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I'm well aware of that. However, if we convince him to stay, e.g. Using some of the £10m that was suggested towards Luiz's new contract, Man City won't be able to do a thing about it. 

But that’s not how it works.

We could agree £1,000,000 a week with Luiz and Man City can simply say nope and take him back for £35m. 

It would then be up to Luiz (and not Villa) to haggle with Man City for the best contract he could get with them.

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But that’s not how it works.

We could agree £1,000,000 a week with Luiz and Man City can simply say nope and take him back for £35m. 

It would then be up to Luiz (and not Villa) to haggle with Man City for the best contract he could get with them.

The buy back clause means we have to accept the bid, it doesn’t mean Luiz has to agree personal terms.

38 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

He can still reject the offer from Man City. So yeah, put that £10m towards his contract to encourage him to stay with us rather than sign back for them. 

That's prob what our Owners will do, offer Luiz a massive payoff to stay with us and do not resign for City.

We have good Owners and Purslow is very tricky in this world of football, I'm sure they ain't even breaking a sweat like some people are in this thread.

Pretty sure our Owners, Purslow, anyone else including Solicitors have already worked out Plan A,B, C all the way to Z of all the different Scenarios they could play to City if they try trigger the BuyOut.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

The buy back clause means we have to accept the bid, it doesn’t mean Luiz has to agree personal terms.

Yes that’s exactly my point.

Im obviously assuming that Man City will match any wages we offer Luiz.

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

I'd put my money that Luiz loves life here, loves first team football at villa, Loves his new family of Lads because hes had more here at Villa than he ever got at City, and Loves his Role at the club.

I just do not think he would give that what he has built at Villa for an uncertain future at City. He was loving it when he knew hed be staying in England, thanks to our Owners and many others they made that happen for Luiz, he wont turn his back on that, hes not the kind of bloke to do that I bet. Yeah if we were struggling and Luiz wasn't a first steamer it may all look different and be a thing in the air, but while Villa is progressing I do not think Luiz will entertain signing for City.

But none of us are Luiz and we do not know what hes thinking. City could target this buy back, but the decision is solely down to him to say yaya or nay. I am confident that Luiz will choose Villa just like Jack chose to stay with us and say to the big clubs do one.

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

For some it's not always down to wages, it's about what they have where they are and if going somewhere else will be any better than where they currently are.

Luiz never struck me as the type of guy who goes for money over career. Luiz has always gone on about his football, never once have I read anything suggesting money from him. Who knows I maybe wrong but I think we can all see on the pitch what Luiz loves most and that's playing alongside his Villa team mates in a Villa shirt.

Sure Luiz going would mean playing alongside different players and under PeP but even PeP isnt a certain thing at City next season and beyond is he. 

I hope Luiz looks at what he has at villa, what hes built and think back to what life was like at City, realise life at city wont ever beat life at Villa. Luiz has worked hard at Villa and hes magic here, but I think hed be making a massive mistake walking out on everyone, his life at the club, all his Teammates he has found,you can see happiness in him, his game.

I myself actually think and hope Douglas Luiz has moved on from city and what was once there and built a spectacular life for himself at our club.

32 minutes ago, penguin said:

lets be real, if Man City come in for him and tell him he is part of their plans, he will go.

I hope they either a) dont activate it, or b) if they consider activating it to sell him on, we offer X amount to buy out the clause.

• Like 4

If they do want him back, which I doubt then he will go back, the wages they offer would be £150k plus. 

Just add £15m to the £35m and get K Philips or another top class defensive Midfielder. Douglas is not irreplaceable , no where near it IMO. 

• Like 2

The buy back clause means that Luiz's registration would revert back to Manchester City - he could then chose to either play for them or not - but he can't choose to stay here. We'd have to have a bid accepted for his registration to keep him. The buy back means that City can register him as a City player - they don't have to agree terms with him to do that - if they do, he has choice between playing for City or encouraging another team to bid for him - he can't just say no and become a free agent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the guy but lets be real, if City come back in for him, he's gone. He probably views his 2 years at Villa as showcasing to City why he should start for them, or another top European club. Look at his brothers tweet in the summer when we believed City had activated the clause. I'm sure he does love it here and doubt he would leave us for a sideways move like Everton/West Ham (post clause) but yeah, if City activate it, i think he'll go 

I think also one thing to keep in my mind is that Luiz's friends in Birmingham aren't necessarily his teammates - he lives in a bubble with his brothers in Birmingham City centre, he's a good teammate but he's not at Villa because he loves the people in this squad - he's an ambitious young footballer who will want to see us prove we're an ambitious football club if we want to keep him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

If they do want him back, which I doubt then he will go back, the wages they offer would be £150k plus. 

No chance. Looking at a few sites suggests they only have 3 or 4 players on £150k/week+ and they're not going to dish out the same on him as they give De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling and Fernanindinho.

Unrealistic to think we won’t lose one of our top players in the next summer window - Luis has been very good last 6 months but he’s replaceable. Think if Man City trigger it - we’ll take the profit and move on. A club like Leicester seem to lose top players every summer and find same quality or better to replace. Selling is ok if you have a plan - in fact every successful club has had to sell big players at the right time to progress (Liverpool - Coutinho )

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Hopefully Luiz will see that unless Pep can guarantee him starting in the City side then what's the point in going? Get the same money, stay on the bench and lost his Brazil place? would be pretty stupid unless Luiz is going to be starting for City every week. 

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The buy back clause means that Luiz's registration would revert back to Manchester City - he could then chose to either play for them or not - but he can't choose to stay here. We'd have to have a bid accepted for his registration to keep him. The buy back means that City can register him as a City player - they don't have to agree terms with him to do that - if they do, he has choice between playing for City or encouraging another team to bid for him - he can't just say no and become a free agent.

I feel like I understand the general idea of this but I am having difficulty wrapping my head around how it could work like that.

He essentially immediately become a City play but not actually have a contract with them? So if for arguments sake he couldn’t agree terms I don’t really understand his obligation to them.

1 minute ago, penguin said:

He essentially immediately become a City play but not actually have a contract with them? So if for arguments sake he couldn’t agree terms I don’t really understand his obligation to them.

I'm not sure how it'd work either, but the registration would be theirs - essentially, he couldn't play anywhere else - there are doubtless things in the contract with the buyback clause that detail fallback contractual terms, and it's possible that it could be a situation that's acrimonious between City and Luiz - but we wouldn't be in that argument.

One thing though is that you hardly ever see these clauses taken up - the big users of them are City and Chelsea and I'm not sure I recall a player returning to either of those teams for a pre-agreed fee.

• Like 1

Â