Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

Surely the buy back clause just means that any offer of the agreed amount has to be accepted? If Luiz stays because we offer him better terms/first team football he can reject them and remain a Villa player? 

He can reject them, but I think he'd then be a City player refusing to play. That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Like 1

Incidentally, why on earth would he be against returning to a team that are the richest in the world, competing for major honours, managed by Pep Guardiola and have a massive Douglas Luiz sized hole in their squad? 

For me, our hopes of keeping him rest with City having spotted the next big thing somewhere else.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Incidentally, why on earth would he be against returning to a team that are the richest in the world, competing for major honours, managed by Pep Guardiola and have a massive Douglas Luiz sized hole in their squad? 

For me, our hopes of keeping him rest with City having spotted the next big thing somewhere else.

Jason Denayer, maybe......they actually sold him to Lyon in 2018.

what a player, defensively.

I must be the only person that thinks that City won't be interested in buying him back, they can sign better, and truth be told probably already have better, and despite their money they aren't really the kind of club to spend a lot of money on squad players, they usually spend big on first teamers and demote their current starters to squad players, certainly don't think they'd spend £35m on Luiz to be a bit part player.

Don't think it makes much sense for them to buy him back to make a profit either, as don't think anyone would pay much more than £35m it would supposedly take to buy him back, also bear in mind that they paid around £10m for him in the first place when they signed him from Brazil.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I must be the only person that thinks that City won't be interested in buying him back, they can sign better, and truth be told probably already have better, and despite their money they aren't really the kind of club to spend a lot of money on squad players, they usually spend big on first teamers and demote their current starters to squad players, certainly don't think they'd spend £35m on Luiz to be a bit part player.

Don't think it makes much sense for them to buy him back to make a profit either, as don't think anyone would pay much more than £35m it would supposedly take to buy him back, also bear in mind that they paid around £10m for him in the first place when they signed him from Brazil.

I think you make very plausible points....I agree.

No, you are not the only one...your case is sound imo.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

I must be the only person that thinks that City won't be interested in buying him back, they can sign better, and truth be told probably already have better.

They'll be able to sign whoever they fancy I guess - but at the moment, I don't think Rodrigo is better than him and Fernandinho is 35 - it's the big gap in their squad.

Gündoğan also often plays as the deep midfielder for them. They're also being linked to other midfielders such as Denis Zakaria and Ismaël Bennacer.

That said City might not come in for him, but that doesn't mean others won't, so might have a battle to keep him either way. Don't think anything will happen until the summer though.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

He can reject them, but I think he'd then be a City player refusing to play. That's my understanding of it anyway.

He can reject the move. The clause just means that we have to accept an offer that meets the stated criteria. It is then up to City to agree a deal with the player. If they can’t, then he remains an AVFC player. I think he will stay to be honest. Things are going really well for him and us. 

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He can reject the move. The clause just means that we have to accept an offer that meets the stated criteria. It is then up to City to agree a deal with the player. If they can’t, then he remains an AVFC player. I think he will stay to be honest. Things are going really well for him and us. 

I don't think that's the case - I think the buyback is more than just a release fee.

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Incorrect my friend!

I can safely say, I have no idea of player contract details.....I have been watching Villa for c 60 years and if I watched them for another 60, would still be non the wiser, when it comes to contracts or behind the scenes shenanigans

fwiw.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure how it'd work either, but the registration would be theirs - essentially, he couldn't play anywhere else - there are doubtless things in the contract with the buyback clause that detail fallback contractual terms, and it's possible that it could be a situation that's acrimonious between City and Luiz - but we wouldn't be in that argument.

One thing though is that you hardly ever see these clauses taken up - the big users of them are City and Chelsea and I'm not sure I recall a player returning to either of those teams for a pre-agreed fee.

That would be a crazy thing for him to have agreed to. Man City could buy him back from us and offer him minimum wage and if he refused he can’t do anything about it? How many years of his remaining career would Man City be able to hold him and offer him minimum wage while refusing to let him play anywhere else?

Surely it must just be the case that they can talk to the player if they meet the buyback fee but they don’t have control over him without him agreeing it (though we all know he will agree to their terms)?

I'd guess they'd be required to continue the terms of the current contract as it's where the option exists.

So he initially signs a four year deal worth x thousands of pounds a week in which he'll play for Villa unless City activate the release clause, in which case the contract reverts to them.

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They'll be able to sign whoever they fancy I guess - but at the moment, I don't think Rodrigo is better than him and Fernandinho is 35 - it's the big gap in their squad.

Agree, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they look at buying someone for the 1st team to replace Rodri and him getting demoted.

It is also possible all the contactual side of things was agreed to at the time also. They could have agreed the wage he'd be on as part of the agreed buy back clause. Fact is, no one knows, and any of the suggestions mooted here is largely possible, although him refusing to go back and therefore staying here if its triggered is least possible to my mind.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It is also possible all the contactual side of things was agreed to at the time also. They could have agreed the wage he'd be on as part of the agreed buy back clause. Fact is, no one knows, and any of the suggestions mooted here is largely possible, although him refusing to go back and therefore staying here if its triggered is least possible to my mind.

That would not of been too smart of him either because he was in a significantly worse negotiating position two years ago than he is now so the future contract he would have signed back then would likely undervalue him now.

As you say, none of us know what the agreement is or how it operates so it’s probably pointless speculating. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Agree, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they look at buying someone for the 1st team to replace Rodri and him getting demoted.

With Fernandinho leaving at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see them looking for two DM's.

Â