Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

6 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

We need to give him a new long term contract!

I think we should tie him down to 2028 or 2029 if he is willing. If we make the CL the time would be perfect to get him a new contract in summer / early next season

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

You don't progress by selling your best player. Look at West Ham, a club going nowhere albeit they had to sell Rice as he wasn't going to sign a new contract there. 

Emery is our most important asset 

Everyone is replacable but him. 

40 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Emery is our most important asset 

Everyone is replacable but him. 

Yes, but our best chances of success are by him having the best players available for him to do his job and we're not getting someone better than Luiz. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, picicata said:

Even though Luiz is at the heart of one of our best teams for decades? When you already have one of the best midfielders in the country I don't see the point of rolling the dice in the hope of finding his equal. Keep him and concentrate on growing the club in order that we can spend money rather than quick injections of cash or, at the very least, don't sell a player who is so fundamental to the way we play

Agreed, I think he would be the hardest player to replace, which is why our rivals would be keen to buy him. He's kind of our Xavi now. He's so integrated into the way we play, has a good understanding with everyone around him. It would be ripping the heart out of the team.

Losing Martinez would be enormous, but we'd probably get silly money for him. Losing Watkins would be a shame, too. But I wouldn't be as worried as if we lost Dougie, as I think his ceiling is potentially being seen as the best centre mid in the world in 2 or 3 years.

He's a great player but Martinez is more important to us, imo. Dougs isn't the best midfielder in the world, Martinez is arguably the best keeper. No one could replace him, there's a few that could replace Doug (at huge cost)

I have learnt  my lesson with Grealish,  no one is irreplaceable and that includes anyone of a current players. I like Doug but he has his weaknesses and I believe Emery and his staff would use the £100m+ to great affect. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Yes, but our best chances of success are by him having the best players available for him to do his job and we're not getting someone better than Luiz. 

That's a bold statement.

He isn't even a regular for Brazil.

Very good player but far from irreplacable.

38 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

That's a bold statement.

He isn't even a regular for Brazil.

Very good player but far from irreplacable.

Irreplaceable is an extreme word but he’s only one degree removed from that imo.  How he’s not a Brazil regular I don’t know.  Some managers just have favourites.

Even if he were to want out (and I don't think that he does), no club in a title chase would sell one of their best players to a rival for the title in a January window. He could threaten to stop trying and still we'd be better off paying his salary for six months and excluding him from team activities than letting him help a rival. Zero chance that we're selling him to a rival in January. None.

• Thanks 1

This is annoying enough as an article

https://www.compare.bet/news/emmanuel-petit-exclusive-arsenal-should-not-sign-douglas-luiz-for-100m

But this,

EP: £100m is a lot of money, I really like Douglas Luiz but is he worth £100m? It’s crazy money. I’m not sure it’s a good idea for Arsenal to go straight on the market and buy Luiz for that much. I think he’s injured too much and the way that Aston Villa are playing, he probably doesn’t want to leave. 

I'm not sure he's missed a game for us due to injury since he joined.

He probably got paid to write complete bollocks too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm not sure he's missed a game for us due to injury since he joined.

He probably got paid to write complete bollocks too.

3 muscle injuries in 18/19 at Girona for 7 games missed. Nothing since

Â