Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Apart from his goal he was pretty poor, especially first half. I don’t think he should start against Everton, he had a absolute stinker so deserves to miss out. I know he’s bound to come good, I think he needs more time to adapt though. 

13 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Did my eyes deceive me or did Shearer and co. spend the whole of the MOTD analysis talking about how naive Luiz was as a DM and completely ignored the fact that he scored a wonder goal?

Surely not !!! 🤔

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Did my eyes deceive me or did Shearer and co. spend the whole of the MOTD analysis talking about how naive Luiz was as a DM and completely ignored the fact that he scored a wonder goal?

It was just Murphy.  I noticed he didnt mention any of the players by name, including Luiz.  I doubt he watched much of the action tbh and is morphing into Mark Lawrenson.

• Like 2

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Apart from his goal he was pretty poor, especially first half. I don’t think he should start against Everton, he had a absolute stinker so deserves to miss out. I know he’s bound to come good, I think he needs more time to adapt though. 

I thought he was very good second half.

I do agree about needing time to adapt ( as I think they all do to a lesser extent)....and I thought it was a big ask for him to be our defensive lynchpin in his first full start. 

Id have preferred one less winger and CH in there with him.

( not a hindsight view !)

• Like 3

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

It was just Murphy.  I noticed he didnt mention any of the players by name, including Luiz.  I doubt he watched much of the action tbh and is morphing into Mark Lawrenson.

Has he started wearing shirts with white collars and stripes that turn green on TV ?

How “ Lawro” (🙄) ever managed a career as a pundit I’ll never know.

Oh, hang on, he played for Liverpool didn’t he.......

• Like 1

Just now, terrytini said:

I thought he was very good second half.

I do agree about needing time to adapt ( as I think they all do to a lesser extent)....and I thought it was a big ask for him to be our defensive lynchpin in his first full start. 

Id have preferred one less winger and CH in there with him.

( not a hindsight view !)

He was better second half you’re right. He’s obviously a talent, think he needs drip feeding in to the team though. Not the last ten mins against Spurs where we’re being pummelled or the first home game in the PL for 3 years... 

Heard some bloke saying he was like a headless chicken, but I think he was better than that, just had a stinker first half. Hope he comes good sooner 

• Like 1

I think he recovered pretty well after that mistake. His confidence was shattered initally, especially making that kind of error on your home debut in front of a full home crowd. Says a lot about his character to get his head together and get back in the game. Baring in mind he's had no pre-season with his new team, I thought he slotted in well. Hopefully he can live up to the expe tation and make his mark with us. 

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Like 1

The way he receives the ball, under pressure, maintains possession, and then moves the ball on is the best I have seen down VP for a long time.He is playing against Delph next week, a limited player who is probably better defensively, but wont move the ball as well as Luiz. Time will tell who is the better buy, but on 1 game, don't forget 1 game, I think we will have the better player long term.

Murphy is, and always has been, a knob, never liked Villa, argued that we are not a biggish club on TS once because we don't sell out. An average player, a below average pundit, ignore and move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

Luiz scored a decent consolation goal fair fúcks........ but a consolation goal means nothing. I can't even watch McGinns v sheff weds. because it was meaningless.

However as a display of being a strong manager and not a "Pep puppet" Smith should remind him he  cost a goal... therefore should return to the bench and hourihane should start the next game.

Hourihane has impressed me with not only his determination to reach the top (sit on the bench v bournmouth) but also his tweeting ability to rub some deadarse from the past's nose in it  who said he'd never make the grade. I bet he will drive his white bugatti around cork slowly to remind people (especially the chav's who sit on the cable box)he's the phuking man.

also our set pieces yesturday were absolutley dog shit. I thought garreth barry was back the ammount of floaters going intothe box.

Seek therapy. 

• Haha 1

Apart from the mistake I thought he had a good game, goal aside. He was deceptively strong, holding off players bigger than him, kept the ball moving and didn't waste possession. I guess we all read it differently. 

• Like 1

I would keep starting him. His issues so far seem to be teething problems, rather than fundamental issues with his ability. Keep starting him and get him settled into the team as quickly as possible. We'll reap the rewards as the season progresses.

• Like 3

I think he will become one of our stand out performers this season. Lets not forget the lad is 21 and only been in the Country a week and a half. Quite ridiculous really considering we haven't as a team really found our feet yet and he's had no preseason with the team. Then factor in the expectations of him from the fan base and club to completely change the dynamic of our midfield. Making his home debut in what was a crazy atmosphere yesterday, having a ground swallow moment after only 10min. Exceptional of him imo to turn things around and become one of our stand out performers yesterday.

I think he's an old head on young shoulders which is the reason he is so highly rated. I think once he truly settles, and if we can start to find our tempo he will become a vital player for us. Loved his passion yesterday also as it will bring him closer to the fans and allow him to feel loved which will get the best attitude out of him. I can only see him becoming more comfortable and dominant in the role he played yesterday and once he's fully up to speed everyone will agree with how good of a signing he really is. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Why are people talking about moving his position?! He's obviously a ball playing DM.

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's ridiculous. It always the way. There is an obsession with moving people out of position. 

Wont give him a shot in goal then?

• Haha 1

Douglas Luiz has hardly played as a 'DM' in his club career, so moving him from there would hardly be moving him out of position. Even when he does play in the 'DM' position he's not a traditional DM, he's more of a deep lying play-maker type, I guess similar to someone like Neves at Wolves, and even they found last season that they couldn't cope with him as their sole DM, so had to bring in Dendoncker to help him out, and we might have to do the same with Nakamba who I think is going to be a very important player for us...

Even when you think of the famous AC Milan midfield with Pirlo as the 'DM', he had Gattuso and Seerdorf alongside him.

• Like 1

He made a terrible mistake, but aside from that he was strong in the tackle, kept possession really well, showed for the ball at every opportunity, showed an excellent passing range, and scored a screamer from the only shot he took (not a 1 fluke in 10 shots kinda thing).

i think he played really, really well. 

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Because there's an obsession on here with DMs being Duracell Bunny kung-fu psychopaths who make 52 tackles a game, and any semblance of technique or shooting ability automatically makes you a number 10.

I wonder if Karl Henry is available to sign

Â