Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Poor start, with a poor error, but we really do have a Rolls Royce of a player on our hands, brilliant technique and vision, plays the ball quickly, passes accurately, actually looks stronger than advertised on the ball, shrugging off a number of his opposing midfielders with ease and very impressive on the front foot, surging forward when the space allows and has a forward pass in his locker. Very impressed.

• Like 3

looked good tbh, was a silly mistake, but those type of mistakes are easy to cut out, and it was a little unlucky to be punished so harshly for that mistake.

Looked classy as hell though and grew in to the game, he needs to stay in the team now and let him get settled and up to speed.

He obviously has a huge amount of potential. His mistake for the goal is something he can learn from, he was obviously trying a bit too hard. 

It took him a while to grow into the game, but I thought he was impeccable second half. He had a metronomic passing style in general, but has good range. What a strike for the goal. 

I liked his composure on the ball, his confidence and his celebration. 

He'll get better. 

• Like 1

So no one seen his awful off the ball positioning and hiding from getting the ball all game long? On the ball he looks ok. But off the ball if you watch that game from 0-90 and watch how often he hides behind an opposition player, not being available for a pass is massive reason our midfield play was awful today. Has a decent shot but needs to work on off the ball movement.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Adzy_Avfc said:

So no one seen his awful off the ball positioning and hiding from getting the ball all game long? On the ball he looks ok. But off the ball if you watch that game from 0-90 and watch how often he hides behind an opposition player, not being available for a pass is massive reason our midfield play was awful today. Has a decent shot but needs to work on off the ball movement.

Defo not what I saw, he was superb after he got over his awful first 35 mins. I thought he picked the ball up alot I tight areas and pinged some good balls about. 

Edited by The Other Mat

3 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

Defo not what I saw, he was superb after he got over his awful first 35 mins. I thought he picked the ball up alot I tight areas and pinged some good balls about. 

I noticed it quite a few times during the game, he seems to drop behind opposition players instead of moving into space for a pass. This caused us to go long quite a few times from defence, especially the first half in particular. I thought his on the ball play looks very promising but to link the midfield together and get Jack and John involved more he will have to move about off the ball to make himself available. The one time he did get into a lovey position he put it top corner, so more of that would be lovey.

• Like 1

Was very impressive today. As he settles he will become our metronome in the middle. I think he needs to build more understanding with Grealish and McGinn, but they’re all intelligent players so it’ll come. 

That goal was spectacular. Guy next to me was cursing him saying he was crap and we should sell him (!!) minutes before as he nearly gave the ball away, which I smuggly celebrated to him when the goal flew in. 

Massive positive signs. 

Not sure why he left the ball but I would guess a Bournemouth player had the nouse to shout 'leave it ' and he obliged. Not a mistake you make twice. 

Played ok after that , stronger on the ball than his stature would indicate and he  can find a pass. Decent debut after a monumental fcku 

Edited by tinker

37 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

He must've heard a shout from somewhere, he was clearly letting that ball run for someone. Hardly put a foot wrong afterwards.

I thought this too! He was probably tricked by an opponent. However, I don't blame him for that goal. From 25 yards out I expect my centre back to block that and not turn his back on it and deflect it goalwards. 

20 minutes ago, Adzy_Avfc said:

I noticed it quite a few times during the game, he seems to drop behind opposition players instead of moving into space for a pass. This caused us to go long quite a few times from defence, especially the first half in particular. I thought his on the ball play looks very promising but to link the midfield together and get Jack and John involved more he will have to move about off the ball to make himself available. The one time he did get into a lovey position he put it top corner, so more of that would be lovey.

That is so true. He needs to love towards the ball more because then he will have more of it and do more damage to the opposition. 

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

Not sure why he left the ball but I would guess a Bournemouth player had the nouse to shout 'leave it ' and he obliged. Not a mistake you make twice. 

Played ok after that , stronger on the ball than his stature would indicate and he  can find a pass. Decent debut after a monumental fcku 

Bournemouth have done this previously when they played Watford, when Arter done it to Chalobah 

Was very good. Clearly has ability dripping off him, even the simplest pass was being done with aplomb. And of course that goal was hit about as perfectly as you could want. His error lead to their second but 9/10 times that shot misses - the deflection it takes is absurd, curls perfectly to strike the inside of the post past the reach of the Heaton, having started out heading well wide. 

The prospect of him getting even better is something to savour.

• Like 2

I now understand why Pep wanted to play him.

Pure class. Doesn't look like a dmf though.

I'd be tempted to play Luiz and McGinn together and push Grealish to the left to replace El Ghazi.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Still not sold on him yet...  The wonder goal is papering over a lot of cracks in his play for me.

• Spends WAY too much time on the ball
  • Gets caught ball watching too often when we do have possession
  • Doesn't seem strong enough to be the defensive player we need in that role (too Hourihane-ish at times)

Again, I know it's early days, but he is the signing I worry the most about at this point.  

This the Carlos Sanchez thread 😜

2 hours ago, Adzy_Avfc said:

No, no just you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

3rd in touches

4th in attempted passes

91% completion. 

That's not a player hiding. If it is, then what the **** was everyone else doing.

He wasn't hiding but first half he wasn't finding or looking for space. Bournemouth were high up and he was far too static tbf he just wasn't making any movement and we had no real option other than Tyrone Pings looking for the one over the top.

Grew into the game and in the end impressed me.

Â