Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

8 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

The way he receives the ball, under pressure, maintains possession, and then moves the ball on is the best I have seen down VP for a long time.He is playing against Delph next week, a limited player who is probably better defensively, but wont move the ball as well as Luiz. Time will tell who is the better buy, but on 1 game, don't forget 1 game, I think we will have the better player long term.

Exactly this, it is so valuable to have a player who can do this, instead of hoofing or a 50/50-ball. Dare I say it he almost looked even more comfortable on the ball than Jack, and his passes were perfectly weighted and timed. Looking forward to seeing him play more forward balls as well. I think Wesley will benefit a lot from getting passes from Luiz.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

I was saying to my mates after the game, how good he is with both feet and this heat map bears my point out. There was a moment in the second half where he picked the ball up in midfield and had an option to the left, but it wasn't an easy angle. He shifted the ball onto his left foot and stroked it to El Ghazi, he even bent it around an opponent. It wasn't an obvious stand out moment really, but it stood out to me. It looked like a pretty standard pass, but so many players would not have had the technique to pull it off, or even attempt it on their weaker foot. As we saw for his goal, his right foot is pretty good too. 

So exciting to have such a gifted player to see develop. I'm confident that within a few months we won't consider a starting 11 without him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Apart from his goal he was pretty poor, especially first half. I don’t think he should start against Everton, he had a absolute stinker so deserves to miss out. I know he’s bound to come good, I think he needs more time to adapt though. 

How on earth did he have an absolute stinker?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

How on earth did he have an absolute stinker?!

I really think his first 45 mins was very poor. He was better in the second but that first half was awful. Just a matter of opinion I suppose 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I really think his first 45 mins was very poor. He was better in the second but that first half was awful. Just a matter of opinion I suppose 

He had 91% pass completion from 57 passes. He played the pass with which McGinn had that 30 yard rasper. The pass itself was simple but it was forward and took out their midfield line. He was okay in the first half apart from that obvious mistake. Awful is too harsh imo. But like you said its all about opinions.

Love how he wins pretty much every 50/50 battle in the midfield.  He is also much stronger than he looks.  He held off bigger players like Lerma and King with ease.  When you consider it was his Prem debut and within a minute your keeper gives away the worst penalty ever he had about as good of a game you can ask for.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I was saying to my mates after the game, how good he is with both feet and this heat map bears my point out. There was a moment in the second half where he picked the ball up in midfield and had an option to the left, but it wasn't an easy angle. He shifted the ball onto his left foot and stroked it to El Ghazi, he even bent it around an opponent. It wasn't an obvious stand out moment really, but it stood out to me. It looked like a pretty standard pass, but so many players would not have had the technique to pull it off, or even attempt it on their weaker foot. As we saw for his goal, his right foot is pretty good too. 

So exciting to have such a gifted player to see develop. I'm confident that within a few months we won't consider a starting 11 without him. 

I thought the same at that moment, it's such an advantage for a holding midfielder to be able to play with both feet, many can but not many are as good with both as he seems to be. Even though it looked like a standard pass just the knowledge that he can do that gives the whole team more confidence when they know there is a player in the middle who will be able to sort out tight situations and do something constructive. Before we only had Jack who had that ability, now we have two and that is super!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He had 91% pass completion from 57 passes. He played the pass with which McGinn had that 30 yard rasper. The pass itself was simple but it was forward and took out their midfield line. He was okay in the first half apart from that obvious mistake. Awful is too harsh imo. But like you said its all about opinions.

I said in the match thread at the time, Hourihane wouldn't have made that pass. He's already such a huge improvement in that area and he still has room to improve.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

Even when you think of the famous AC Milan midfield with Pirlo as the 'DM', he had Gattuso and Seedorf alongside him.

I was thinking we ought to try implementing our own spin on that setup if Marvelous proves himself the hard-tackling defensive mid we've been told he is. Marvelous wins the ball, Douglas distributes, SJM hustles box-to-box as always, Jack replaces one winger in a more free attacking role and drifts out wide or into the box as necessary (which he does anyway) as our Kaka. Feel like it would shore up our spine, take a little pressure off Jack to cover defensively and would likely also suit Jota, Hourihane and Lansbury better if/when they have to come in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

His stats were excellent. I still think his first half was poor though, the stats don’t show the goal given away, the amount of space for Wilson to shoot, or the shanked clearance that was nearly an og.

Fully respect your view, but it is interesting how people see the game differently. I still think he will be excellent for us and come good but with a bit more drip feeding in to the side. I do seem to be in the minority when I said he was awful! 

Perhaps in La Liga that sort of mistake wouldn’t have been punished, or perhaps it was just unlucky.

Thought he had a mixed first half, where he did some things very well but also made a few mistakes, second half he was excellent and I’d imagine he’ll keep on improving now. One thing to say about their goal was that whilst it was a huge error on his behalf, the ball from Trezeguet was really poor, even if he hadn’t left it he would have been under serious pressure. It was just a really poor passage of play from us.

12 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Exactly this, it is so valuable to have a player who can do this, instead of hoofing or a 50/50-ball. Dare I say it he almost looked even more comfortable on the ball than Jack, and his passes were perfectly weighted and timed. Looking forward to seeing him play more forward balls as well. I think Wesley will benefit a lot from getting passes from Luiz.

Yet when I still say Douglas Luiz is at Villa, I still shock myself, in fact many of the players I shock myself to think what we have as a team.

I think Wesley needs passes with precision, it was clear Ghazi's ball were not making it to Wesley. Ghazi continued all game to send them to high to him, or hold the ball for way to long instead of laying one low, fast and curly at the end in front Wesley. The delivery's have to be better, we need Wesley to sort this out quick but it's not just down to him, the problem I seen was more of the above I had said. What can a striker do if the balls placed in front of him are not happening, something I hope Luiz can at least sort out.

Going to take a little time to adjust to the league but in general I thought it was a highly highly encouraging start. He pretty much ran the game for 60 mins in exactly the way Smith would have wanted. We dominated large parts of the game and a lot of that  was down to Luiz. 

Never realised he was so small, seems to have the Sterling small man strength which is fine but he's obviously going to lose every header. It happened a fair bit against Bournemouth and its something I wouldnt be surprised to see teams try and target as a weakness. 

Â