Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Really surprised Belgium didn't call him up for this round of games if only to have a look at him in training.

The Spurs two are getting loads of stick atm for their recent performances (talk they'll both be dropped for the Watford game) and he is surely better than Boyata.

Maybe his play dipping for a game or two cost him the chance but hopefully he'll be in for the November games as they're qualified.

I think it's important we start to getting players called up for the better nations in world football like Belgium and Brazil (potentially Luiz in next year) as that would improve our standing to more players viewing us from the outside I think.

If you think of our times as a major prem force in last 20 years we've always done well with Scandinavian players and had a steady flow of England internationals but we've never really looked at the Spanish market and for some reason the Latin America market despite the relative success of JPA, Solano and UDLC around 2004.

Man. City signed Silva, Robinho and Aguero very early on in their takeover and they have no issues getting in top quality players from those parts. Liverpool signed Coutinho, he does very well there after a period of inactivity in his career, Brazil start calling him up and suddenly likes of Firmino and Alission think that would be a good move for them to improve their international chances.

Even Watford in recent seasons have provided players for Brazil (Richarlison) and Argentina (Pereya) so it's something I'd like to see us do to move up the premier league table.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Really surprised Belgium didn't call him up for this round of games if only to have a look at him in training.

The Spurs two are getting loads of stick atm for their recent performances (talk they'll both be dropped for the Watford game) and he is surely better than Boyata.

Maybe his play dipping for a game or two cost him the chance but hopefully he'll be in for the November games as they're qualified.

I think it's important we start to getting players called up for the better nations in world football like Belgium and Brazil (potentially Luiz in next year) as that would improve our standing to more players viewing us from the outside I think.

If you think of our times as a major prem force in last 20 years we've always done well with Scandinavian players and had a steady flow of England internationals but we've never really looked at the Spanish market and for some reason the Latin America market despite the relative success of JPA, Solano and UDLC around 2004.

Man. City signed Silva, Robinho and Aguero very early on in their takeover and they have no issues getting in top quality players from those parts. Liverpool signed Coutinho, he does very well there after a period of inactivity in his career, Brazil start calling him up and suddenly likes of Firmino and Alission think that would be a good move for them to improve their international chances.

Even Watford in recent seasons have provided players for Brazil (Richarlison) and Argentina (Pereya) so it's something I'd like to see us do to move up the premier league table.

We now have 2 Brazilian’s 😋

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

We now have 2 Brazilian’s 😋

The thing with Wes is he's been playing in europe for years, I was more on about scouting and signing the next big thing from the Brazilian league. Obviously need them to qualify for work permit but Watford for example signed Richarlison from Fluminense. Made a 30m profit on him within a year.

Probably beyond us but it surprised me Everton Soares is still playing in Brazil after his fantastic copa america.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

With the age if the current Belgium central defenders (sure not are 30+, even 32+?), he must have a shot at the national team in the next 12 month's?

They called up Thomas Vermaelen for this round, he plays in Japan now.

Looking at who else, I've mentioned Boyata who plays for Hertha Berlin. Not really rated by Celtic fans in his spell there.

Guess Engels is in same category as Brandon Mechele who plays for Brugge and got his first cap v San Marino. Guess him playing in CL this season swung his selection for Martinez. Same for Timothy Castagne who has six caps and is playing for Atalanta, also in CL.

I fully expect him to get a chance next month now they're qualified.

• 2 weeks later...

Very shaky today and almost put a goal on a plate with them with an awful pass and ultimately required an excellent goal line block from Mings. He did something similar against Arsenal and was all over the place early doors away to Norwich. He doesn't look the same player as he did in his first few matches.

I think in Konsa we have a top talent and it will only be a matter of time before he's in ahead of Engels.

Engels was great early on in the season, but his form is dropping off. Seemingly this is happening at the same time as Mings' star is declining (performance).

I'm a big fan of Konsa, but would dropping Bjorn lower his confidence even further, and thereby be detrimental to the team longer term? I'd still give Bjorn a chance to get back to his earlier level.

On 18/10/2019 at 00:27, VillaChris said:

They called up Thomas Vermaelen for this round, he plays in Japan now.

Looking at who else, I've mentioned Boyata who plays for Hertha Berlin. Not really rated by Celtic fans in his spell there.

Guess Engels is in same category as Brandon Mechele who plays for Brugge and got his first cap v San Marino. Guess him playing in CL this season swung his selection for Martinez. Same for Timothy Castagne who has six caps and is playing for Atalanta, also in CL.

I fully expect him to get a chance next month now they're qualified.

Mechele, Boyata and Denayer are the next generation of defenders for Belgium. Kabasele has a few caps too. Engels should be able to get in there.
Castagne is a wing back, so he’s playing for a different spot

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very shaky today and almost put a goal on a plate with them with an awful pass and ultimately required an excellent goal line block from Mings. He did something similar against Arsenal and was all over the place early doors away to Norwich. He doesn't look the same player as he did in his first few matches.

I think in Konsa we have a top talent and it will only be a matter of time before he's in ahead of Engels.

I agree 100% early season composure seems to have gone. He has looked slow to react. Konsa will surely start v Wolves and could really put some pressure on Bjorn

On 26/10/2019 at 17:22, AVTuco said:

Engels was great early on in the season, but his form is dropping off. Seemingly this is happening at the same time as Mings' star is declining (performance).

I'm a big fan of Konsa, but would dropping Bjorn lower his confidence even further, and thereby be detrimental to the team longer term? I'd still give Bjorn a chance to get back to his earlier level.

I think even before yesterday's dodgy game Wolves felt the right time to put in Konsa in a "big" game. He's been a regular in the cup aswell.

Will be interesting what his distribution is like as him and Mings are our best ball playing CB duo for a long time although of course you can get off days against the best teams like yesterday.

Overall though I'm still pretty happy with him. 8m and complete lack of hype compared to most of our other signings, he's been fine against the lower half teams and can obviously improve further against better opposition.

He is good, but his reactions can be slow and lacks agility. Hence if he is one on one he get beat most times. I think teams have begun to notice that too. With us being such an attack minded team we need our CB'S to be good in one on one situations. Konsa is the future, Engels is the steady Eddie we can always rely on to give solid 6 and 7 out of ten performances.

38 minutes ago, av1 said:

£8m :crylaugh::crylaugh:

I hope Purslow had the decency to wear a mask whilst conducting this deal. Absolute daylight robbery. 

£9m according to bbc football, still a bargain 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

On 26/10/2019 at 17:15, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think we should play Konsa just to stop posts like the above. Engels and indeed Hause are ahead of Konsa by some distance and deservedly so.

Despite a generally good performance against wolves juniors he had a couple of shaky moments in that match especially in the first half. Looks to have a good bit to learn to me.

• Haha 1

Â