Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Boom, soon to be a Belgian international! 

A fantastic investment from a business and footballing perspective. A nice hint towards a business model that I think can help us to succeed in the long run. And what a player so far. 

Excellent on the ball, both short and long passing are decent, reads the game well and physically imposing. He's humble (saying he's not up to Ming's level) and works hard on the pitch and clearly works hard off it. 

Belgium are struggling for centre backs so he could be in line for a debut. 

42 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I am struggling to work out who we signed is the best value, we've had some seriously good recruitment. 

A wonderful problem to have, too long now have we been trying to figure out who was the biggest waste of money.

The answer is McGinn by the way 😉 but (getting this back on topic) Engels is looking so promising so early on. He keeps this up and pushes on over the coming weeks, he has a great chance of making the Belgium squad I would think. Also, Terry has to be a positive influence on Mings and Engels I'm expecting both to flourish over the coming weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Who are the current first choice centre back pairing for Belgium?

Who are the current backups? 

Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Vermaelen and Boyata went to the World Cup too, as well as Kompany. Definitely an opportunity there for him. 

52 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Who are the current first choice centre back pairing for Belgium?

Who are the current backups? 

Not reading too much into it but, Alderweireld (30), Vertonghen (32), Kompany (33), Vermaelen (33), and Meunier (27) are likely all vying for first choice. Vermaelen and Kompany are the two likely to drop out in the near future so he has to be considered if he plays regularly and keeps up his early form. He is competing with Boyata and Denayer for a place really so some of it will depend on how well they do. But if he keeps up his own game, then the rest should take care of itself.

• Thanks 1

Just now, villan-scott said:

Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Vermaelen and Boyata went to the World Cup too, as well as Kompany. Definitely an opportunity there for him. 

Alderweireld (30), Vertonghen (32), Vermaelen (33), Kompany (33), Boyata (28).

Looking at those ages, seems he might be part of the future of their defence?, from what i have seen i already have no doubt he's a very good player and probably more than capable of being an international?

• Like 1

If you had a checklist for a modern centre half signing, this guy ticks it all - with the possible exception of him not being English (not that this bothers me too much, but it halves his resale value it seems!)...

Cost...age...calmness...reading of the game...character...coachability (based on his seeming never ending work with Terry). Oh, and he can defend.
The only thing I haven't seen is pace; he isn't slow by any means, but perhaps he never gets stretched because he does the rest of it well?

Edited by Pez1974

20 hours ago, Jareth said:

I am struggling to work out who we signed is the best value, we've had some seriously good recruitment. 

McGinn......but Engels was good business.

Edited by TRO

He didn't make it into the Belgium squad this time, unfortunately.  I am sure it won't be long until he does get called up, if he keeps performing the way he has been.

Edited by andycv

very strange for me.

They called up Brendon Mechele (26), from Clubb Brugge, previously uncapped at senior level, but dont call up Engels who has looked class so far.

sure he will get his chance, even if not this season, i can see him being part of the future for them, a lot of their more famous central defenders are getting old.....

2 hours ago, andycv said:

He didn't make it into the Belgium squad this time, unfortunately.  I am sure it won't be long until he does get called up, if he keeps performing the way he has been.

Yeh. He'll be there in no time if he keeps these performances up 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why would an international manager say he’s not 100% fit when he has play 3 full games and should feature tomorrow. 

Unless he got injured today?

Martinez has previous apparently. So not sure what to think..

https://www.espn.com/soccer/tottenham-hotspur/story/3657856/tottenham-and-belgium-argue-over-jan-vertonghen-injury-reveal

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Â