Björn Engels

Delphinho123

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Absolutely colossal for 94 minutes. It's crazy how he was in the right position every single time. £9m would have been daylight robbery 10 years ago. This is a straight up mugging.

Good in the air, calm and good on the ball. Slow as hell.

Reminds me of Maguire.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Reminds me of Maguire.

Where was his pace an issue yesterday? He reads the game so well he rarely needs to get into a foot race. 

What I did enjoy was the foot race with Mings and Salah with Mings coming out on top and calmly turning away from Salah. Great defending. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Reminds me of Maguire.

As your footballing education continues, you'll learn that pace is not actually requisite for a top centre back - it's all about positioning and anticipation. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, lexicon said:

As your footballing education continues, you'll learn that pace is not actually requisite for a top centre back - it's all about positioning and anticipation. 

Your right positioning and anticipation is top choice, for centre half but be fair on him that acceleration and pace is ideal if centre half operates in further line to close half way and if mistake fast centre half will mop himself for price mistake or cover other defender it is usually balance slow and pace centre half will fine in case (Mings - pace with raw power and Engels - slow with intelligence) it is really not matter it is very great balance in football world.

if 2 pace centre half with aerial and tackle, anticipated, decision, pace, strength to hold positioned (with good feet pass and read games) like van dijki Liverpool are rare breeds and expensive, and man city already got these 2 players in rows that why they better defence in front feet and it is key to man city success. It is hard to find this caliber even trained them youth for these capabilities normal move to striker as modern forward is pressed forward and focus finisher more, that defend trained might that reason not sufficient to find player like this. 

Yet we have potentially 2 pace centre half future stars in housa and Konsa these could become first choice our 2 fast centre half partner in future.

Reverse roles is rare breed as well like Dion Dublin or Allan Evans. Might we need look at it if want quick for these capabilities yet hard find as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet most of circumstances if he is win defend in aerial and tackle win ball on floor, strength to hold on lock him with positioning read and know where he will next (anticipated) shadow him to steer him away before striker or player who challenge and past him, to buy time to organise team to cover each and protect better it is make mistake decision and concretely, Team work is vital importance of all Which lexicon point it out

it is pointless use pace as not need use pace or acceleration as usuals partner centre half or full back will cover for him in event happen, as it is buy a time to organise and communication it is vital importance for defender work as units. Which that reason he, Engels is excellent in these department with few mistakes will iron out with experience that lapsed concretely is his minor problem. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would play him with Konsa and drop Mings.  Mings currently scares the bejesus out of me everytime he's on or near the ball. 

Not sure I would at the moment but if Ming's over playing costs us a few times then it certainly an option.

To think last season we started off with an unfit Chester as our only decent CB. Incredible turn around.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Think i would play him over Mings at current form.

Mings is just making too many mistakes at the moment.

Like you, I'll just say the same thing I said in the Mings thread:

Tyrone Mings is comfortably our best centre back by quite some distance, and anyone questioning his place in the starting 11 needs to see a doctor.

Has his form dipped a bit? Yes, from a very high benchmark.

Remember he is always next to our defensively weakest full back (Taylor / Targett) so he has an additional responsibility there, and he leads the backline positionally.

You don't drop the player who leads the line unless he's really costing us games and there's a ready replacement on the bench. Engels and Konsa are very good players, but they aren't ready to take that responsibility.

Engels is a right-footed centre back. He is slower and softer than Mings. He isn't as good in the air. He also makes the occasional mistake. I really rate Engels, but slotting him in at LCB alongside Konsa would be a downgrade

• Like 2

On 03/11/2019 at 10:03, lexicon said:

He is very lucky to get schooled on here, free of charge, on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Was he back in the team yesterday?

He came on was sub when Mings went off injured, Engels acquitted himself well, I think he’s been a great buy and a snip at £9m, I don’t think he should’ve been benched 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He came on was sub when Mings went off injured, Engels acquitted himself well, I think he’s been a great buy and a snip at £9m, I don’t think he should’ve been benched 

I thought he was injured, not benched?

On 09/12/2019 at 02:37, sir_gary_cahill said:

I agree with this, he should have been back into the side faster. He certainly should have been ahead of Konsa for the Leicester game, and I would have had him back in for the Chelsea game. He's a better defender than Konsa, and more experienced at this level. 

On 27/11/2019 at 01:23, sidcow said:

I would play him with Konsa and drop Mings.  Mings currently scares the bejesus out of me everytime he's on or near the ball. 

Looks like your wish will come true for the next few games at least, and it actually scares the bejesus out of me not that I don't rate Engels as I do, but don't think Konsa is quite ready yet and despite the odd mistake Mings is by far and away our best CB! We will miss his aerial ability and his big mouth organising the defense! 

• Like 1

Â