Björn Engels

Delphinho123

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Why this big love in for Konsa ? - the bloke who sees him in training everyday - and saw fit to pay £9m for him- is selecting kourtney hause ahead of him - really not seeing £9m worth there myself.

Smith seems to very much prefer left footed CBs to play on the left side and right footed CBs to play on the right side. He's not competing with Hause, he's competing with Engels.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Smith seems to very much prefer left footed CBs to play on the left side and right footed CBs to play on the right side. He's not competing with Hause, he's competing with Engels.

This is true, when Mings is back, Hause won't make the bench. 

13 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

This is true, when Mings is back, Hause won't make the bench. 

21 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yep, Engels out at least until Mings is back. Konsa in.

He's solid but not as good as we all thought IMO. Started extremely well, regression to the mean as the season has gone on. He's reasonable on the ball and reads the game pretty well but is not exactly great in the air and his lack of pace can leave him badly exposed in those moments where his reading of the game is less than stellar.

All in all he's a good signing for the fee. £9m doesn't get you much of a centre half these days.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's solid but not as good as we all thought IMO. Started extremely well, regression to the mean as the season has gone on. He's reasonable on the ball and reads the game pretty well but is not exactly great in the air and his lack of pace can leave him badly exposed in those moments where his reading of the game is less than stellar.

All in all he's a good signing for the fee. £9m doesn't get you much of a centre half these days.

I think he’s great in the air, great pick up by Smith for the reported £9m in my opinion 

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's just dipped recently. Obviously the lack of pace without Mings covering as we saw in Leicester and Southampton games is a problem going forward but I've been happy with most other aspects of his defending, was outstanding in the early weeks.

I think thats it, he needs pace and aggression around him so he can do what hes good at. Good partner for Tyrone, Konsa is better with Hause.

Edited by Nigel

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Injured i assume?

He posted something on his Instagram with the 😷 emoji so maybe just illness. Hope him and Mings are back soon because I still believe when they are both fully fit they are our best centre back pairing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djdabush said:

He posted something on his Instagram with the 😷 emoji so maybe just illness. Hope him and Mings are back soon because I still believe when they are both fully fit they are our best centre back pairing.

Yeah agreed

Think he's a better reader of the game than Mings and, arguably, any CB we've had seen since Laursen.

However, he does lack a presence and clearly needs to put-on weight. I fear for our team against Burnley when he could, arguably, be the most physical defensive presence we have defending corners (depends if Hause starts).

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what's up with him?

I know he was injured and came back on the bench, then since then hasn't been in the squad.

I'm sure I heard deano say he was sick or something? (Flu??)

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Anyone know what's up with him?

I know he was injured and came back on the bench, then since then hasn't been in the squad.

I'm sure I heard deano say he was sick or something? (Flu??)

He played Saturday 

On 28/12/2019 at 00:49, VillaChris said:

He's just dipped recently. Obviously the lack of pace without Mings covering as we saw in Leicester and Southampton games is a problem going forward but I've been happy with most other aspects of his defending, was outstanding in the early weeks.

I’ll be honest I thought he also lacked pace but I saw an article that has him recorded as hitting the 5th fastest speed of all premier league players this season at 22.9 mph ...

i think the back 3 formation would suit him though so be interesting to see him play in it 

• Like 1

He will be a really good player for us I think, especially in a back 3.

Only issue is who does he replace now?, I cant honestly say hause or konsa have done anything to deserve dropping at the moment?

Â