Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

23 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

There have been some, almost gleeful, I Told You So'ing in the past 2 days.

Why people with that mindset just don't step away from the computer, I'll never know.

Don't act like it doesn't work both ways. If somehow went through the entire rest of the season without another centreback injury there'd be told you so'ing from the other side too. But because that would involve validating the manager's decision instead of crticizing it, its okay.

Geez, it pisses me off that people act like they have the moral high ground on something like this. No one here doesn't enjoy being right about something over other people. No one here if they heavily disagreed with something and was later proven right wouldn't point out to the fact that they were in fact right. The fact that your stance happens to be defending the club over criticizing it doesn't make your stance inherently any better.

Its like when someone her pointed out that some people were seemingly enjoying telling people so after Wesley kept producing crap on the pitch. Oh piss off, if Wesley scored a **** hatrick he'd be dancing in the thread mocking everyone else in the thread for doubting him. Its just hypocritical.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Smith?

Maybe.

I still see Engels and Mings as our best CB's.

Engels is our best ball playing CB so it's a bit odd to see him left out, you'd think he is well suited in a Dean Smith team. But i have a feeling Smith is worried about his lack of pace.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Maybe.

I still see Engels and Mings as our best CB's.

Engels is our best ball playing CB so it's a bit odd to see him left out, you'd think he is well suited in a Dean Smith team. But i have a feeling Smith is worried about his lack of pace.

Yes, I do too, we defended best in the early part of the season when we had Mings and Engels as our centre backs. I hope we go back to having those 2 as our centre backs in a flat back 4 with Guilbert and Targett as the full backs

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Yes, I do too, we defended best in the early part of the season when we had Mings and Engels as our centre backs. I hope we go back to having those 2 as our centre backs in a flat back 4 with Guilbert and Targett as the full backs

I agree.

I always said that the formation was never the issue. The fight, desire and application were.

Never been a fan of 5 at the back and never will be. It takes away either a forward or a midfielder.

If Smith manages to turn this around i really hope this 5 at the back thing is only a temporary thing.

Just now, villalad21 said:

I agree.

I always said that the formation was never the issue. The fight, desire and application were.

Never been a fan of 5 at the back and never will be. It takes away either a forward or a midfielder.

If Smith manages to turn this around i really hope this 5 at the back thing is only a temporary thing.

Agreed entirely, why do you think he changed it? Because he’s feeling the pressure?

Interesting to note is that Konsa actually has a very slightly lower rate of long ball accuracy than Hause. Its just Hause attempts a lot more long ball passes.

It seems to me like Hause is being told to try and find a pass whereas Konsa has been told to play it to Mings or Hause or just clear it. I reckon Smith probably wantes at least 2 ball playing defenders in the 3 at the back and given the choice between Konsa and Hause, its Hause.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Agreed entirely, why do you think he changed it? Because he’s feeling the pressure?

Mate i have no idea.

Obviously we had a bad spell but it had nothing to do with the formation. The players didn't show fight. We got outworked every week.

We got outworked against Bournemouth too and we lost. Amazing isn't it? We played the almighty 5 at the back formation, but it turns out If you fail do the basics the formation won't matter.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mate i have no idea.

Obviously we had a bad spell but it had nothing to do with the formation. The players didn't show fight. We got outworked every week.

We got outworked against Bournemouth too and we lost. Amazing isn't it? We played the almighty 5 at the back formation, but it turns out If you fail do the basics the formation won't matter.

I think you are spot on

40 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Don't act like it doesn't work both ways. If somehow went through the entire rest of the season without another centreback injury there'd be told you so'ing from the other side too. But because that would involve validating the manager's decision instead of crticizing it, its okay.

Geez, it pisses me off that people act like they have the moral high ground on something like this. No one here doesn't enjoy being right about something over other people. No one here if they heavily disagreed with something and was later proven right wouldn't point out to the fact that they were in fact right. The fact that your stance happens to be defending the club over criticizing it doesn't make your stance inherently any better.

Its like when someone her pointed out that some people were seemingly enjoying telling people so after Wesley kept producing crap on the pitch. Oh piss off, if Wesley scored a **** hatrick he'd be dancing in the thread mocking everyone else in the thread for doubting him. Its just hypocritical.

You misunderstand me. My post was not just in relation to our central defender situation, it's other threads too. A combination of the end of the transfer window and the loss against Bournemouth has seen some people jump straight onto here to proclaim how they were categorically right about something. The fact that someone is seemingly so happy to show how they had the upper hand, while everyone else (and presumably themselves) is gutted about a loss, is just utterly pointless.

The flipside, that you're talking about, is the scenario where Villa win games/ play well/ don't incur injuries, and Villa fans are happy with that. That's the flipside of us losing a game and people jumping straight onto an internet forum to boast about how they knew better than everyone else in predicting Villa's misery?

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well that’s a lie. I remember you banging on about us being way more suited to 4231 than 433 for ages.

FWIW I largely agree with the statement however do think we look less vulnerable in the new formation.

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Well that’s a lie. I remember you banging on about us being way more suited to 4231 than 433 for ages.

FWIW I largely agree with the statement however do think we look less vulnerable in the new formation.

In the sense of competing you can play whatever formation you want. If the application and desire is right and you do the basics you should be able to compete regardless of the formation.

Problem with 5 at the back for me is we are sacrificing an attacking player or midfielder for a defender.

4-2-3-1 would be interesting because we can use Jack as a 10. I can't remember last time i saw him play there.

Edited by villalad21

I heard yesterday that Konsa (and Drinkwater) will be fit for the Spurs game.

Unsurprisingly the hysterics in this thread on February 1st are just a forgotten memory.

Bad news = JUMP INTO CRITICISM MODE

Good news = Silence

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I heard yesterday that Konsa (and Drinkwater) will be fit for the Spurs game.

Unsurprisingly the hysterics in this thread on February 1st are just a forgotten memory.

Bad news = JUMP INTO CRITICISM MODE

Good news = Silence

I'd personally still like to see how we would get on with Tyrone as LCB, Engels as CB and Konsa as RCB.

I know Engel pace might be an issue, however he wouldn't have to get too far forward, he could just sit in the middle and anticipate.

Konsa and Mings could deal with the quicker players on the outside.

I'm aware Mings is our focal CB but i'm just thinking about the unit.

Hause little errors bring us under too much pressure IMO.

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd personally still like to see how we would get on with Tyrone as LCB, Engels as CB and Konsa as RCB.

I know Engel pace might be an issue, however he wouldn't have to get too far forward, he could just sit in the middle and anticipate.

Same here, I'd like to see that defensive set-up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Me too. Is Engels pace really so bad that it undermines our press? I'm not sure he's that slow. 

Plus, who says it's the central CB of the 3 that has to step out with the ball? If we don't think Engels is up for it, we could still allow one of the others to do the ball carrying, and let Engels drift over to cover. 

I thought Engels looked good most of the times I've seen him, and fwiw I still think he's going to have a massive part to play before the end of the season in some capacity or other.    

• Like 2

On 03/02/2020 at 13:25, villalad21 said:

In the sense of competing you can play whatever formation you want. If the application and desire is right and you do the basics you should be able to compete regardless of the formation.

Problem with 5 at the back for me is we are sacrificing an attacking player or midfielder for a defender.

4-2-3-1 would be interesting because we can use Jack as a 10. I can't remember last time i saw him play there.

The problem is that we lack quality in midfield or upfront. So giving Targett himself much freedom would benefit us more than some other players. It gives us the chance to play Hause because he’s the best we have on long and high ball without having to depend on him as a second defender.

Whilst we have 3 tall centre backs who win a lot of headers, it's bloody annoying the likes of Newcastle score so many from set pieces but we haven't scored one header from defence all season. 

I like Konsa but he needs to improve in the air

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Whilst we have 3 tall centre backs who win a lot of headers, it's bloody annoying the likes of Newcastle score so many from set pieces but we haven't scored one header from defence all season. 

I like Konsa but he needs to improve in the air

Konsa will improve in the air over time, he is still very young and raw. He has all the tools to be a top player I think, he is quick, reads the game so well. I think he has a lot of potential

• Like 1

Â