Matt Targett

villan-scott

£14m isn't really a lot these days for a young English player who was one of the best left-backs in the championship the year before last, and has plenty of Premier League experience. It was never going to be as low as the £8m suggested yesterday.

Must admit in a bit worried about this one!

Fans are always the best form of evaluator on a player and I'm not sure I like what I hear.

The lack of pace in this position is massive in today's game but apparently he is also lightweight which combines to undermine his defensive game. We are not exactly paying peanuts for him either!

On the good side his passing and crossing seem really good, just hope this is all ds is looking for to get the most out of the system, and my fears are for nothing.

At the moment I'm not sure, oh for amavi back now!

Edited by Nigel

Yeah definitely a few concerns. A wait and see for me. I like him from what I have seen. The good thing we have going for is how Smith improves players. Look at Taylor and Elmo last season. Targett has much more going for him.

• Like 3

Fulham supposedly tried to buy him for £15m last year, Southampton apparently wanted £20m. Not dissimilar to the Mings situation we appear to find ourselves in now.

So inflated all these prices may be, but they’re at least pretty consistent, it suggests the numbers aren’t too ridiculous.

On the lack of pace point, if they’re comparing him to Bertrand then there’s no shame being slower than him, as he’s rapid. If he is genuinely slow, and it’s a glaring issue it’s a worry. 

I think it’s more a case of he’s slower rather than painfully slow. 

• Like 1

Jesus that's a lot. If I'm Leeds and Bristol City my price just went up £5m.

Tidy footballer who is better going forward than defensively. When we're on top he'll look great with Grealish and El Ghazi over there. Not sure about him at the back.

We can't find one better for £14-17m? Really surprising signing. How much is Ricardo Rodriguez about to leave Milan for?

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We can't find one better for £14-17m? Really surprising signing. How much is Ricardo Rodriguez about to leave Milan for?

This is where I am; Milan is stretching it but surely someone has a decent prospect lower down the pecking order we could pick up for this price?

In saying that it's always a gamble bringing folks from abroad and target will far more likely hit the ground running  which could be vital.

Maybe this is the point!

I'm pleased with this apparent signing. Whenever I've seen Targett he's been full of energy, he's not rapid but he's got enough pace, and he definitely didn't look lightweight.

When Fulham signed him on loan in January last year, he was a key player along with Fredericks in their exceptional run that took them to the play offs and promotion.

Fulham wanted to sign him permanently, but the price was too high so they signed Joe Bryan instead.

Southampton fans love Bertrand so it's unsurprising that they don't rate Targett so highly. I seem to remember that it was only when Bertrand was injured for a run of games that MT came in to the team and Southampton went on a run of good results as they were more sound defensively.

Left Back was our weakest position last season (after Hutton finally stopped playing right back). Targett will definitely improve our back four and he has the opportunity to further develop with Smith/Terry coaching, as he gets to play a load of games as first choice for the first time in his career, apart from his loan spell at Fulham of course. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Really? 

Yep. They see them week in week out, in all kinds of situations on and off the pitch. I'd put them above any scout.

I take it you disagree?

46 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Solid signing but valuations are disgraceful these days. Not my money but still, £17m is far too much.

To be fair it's quoted 14. 17 probably involves staying in the PL etc. Which the 3 million kinda pays itself 

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Yep. They see them week in week out, in all kinds of situations on and off the pitch. I'd put them above any scout.

I take it you disagree?

Except when a player doesn't play week in, week out and he's understudy for a club icon. How would they judge him fairly then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

I take it you disagree?

You are wrong in my opinion. Countless players get slated in one team and excel in another with different manager and different football. 

As an example I give you Albrighton. Apparantly not good enough for us. I still remember the stick he got. 

• Like 1

If we’ve got the money which we seem to have, then so be it, we seem to mean business. For the first time in a long time, we’re acting like a proper football club, I’ve never known us to be paying £17m for a left back, I don’t really see how anyone can moan at this business, he’s quality, realistically the best left back we could atttain

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â