Matt Targett

villan-scott

Yeah, I'm not sure on this one either. A few seasons ago (maybe 15/16 season) he was being touted for England, but since then he hasn't done an awful lot. The good thing is he is still young and hopefully Smith can bring him on a level like he did with Mings, but the price is high. The fact that he is slow in an area where you should be quick is also a concern, but technically he's decent. I'm praying that this turns out to be a masterstroke and he does really well for us. 

Personally I'd have gone back in for Amavi who I think could blossom in our current system and with our current management. Or tried for Tierney even if it was unlikely. 

Both Liverpool and Arsenal were looking at Targett (probably more likely as second choice left back) so there is clearly something there. I was sceptical when Mings came to us in January but that turned out to be great business, so let's hope this one does too.

50 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Solid signing but valuations are disgraceful these days. Not my money but still, £17m is far too much.

We only have to pay the top figure if the player's a success. If his form triggers the extra payment then they makes him a good signing surely.

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

To be fair it's quoted 14. 17 probably involves staying in the PL etc. Which the 3 million kinda pays itself 

This makes sense.

Just now, supermon said:

Not convinced he's going to be our number 1 LB, looks like it'll be Taylor as number 1 and Targett as number two. 

Really think that there would be better options abroad for the left back position

I'm gobsmacked!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Fans often put players down when they're leaving. Besides this website should tell us that fans aren't always the best judge of their own teams players.

Absolutely. Avoid anything said after they are moving.

I'd say if you take away the extreme views we as a whole are not too far off from correctly judging a player.

There are exceptions (maybe Westwood?)who simply don't fit where we play them, but this is rare imo.

12 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Except when a player doesn't play week in, week out and he's understudy for a club icon. How would they judge him fairly then?

Good argument 

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

Not convinced he's going to be our number 1 LB, looks like it'll be Taylor as number 1 and Targett as number two. 

Really think that there would be better options abroad for the left back position

Mental.

• Like 1

Not sure how much people thought we'd get this player for, Southampton turned down a £15m bid for him last summer, he was one of Fulhams best players when they were promoted, and their fans were desperate for him to sign permanently, I bet they wished they'd have paid up now, rather than signing Joe Bryan.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, supermon said:

Taylor over Targett?

Not being funny but Taylor is dire, he just about got by in the championship, he would be slaughtered in the Prem.

I can only see Targett coming in as no1 LB choice.

• Like 1

Lool why is this so hard to comprehend? There's two spots for the left back position, just my opinion that Taylor will start the campaign as the starting left back, I don't really rate Targett from what I've seen (yes I have seen him play for Saints)

• Sad 1

Â