Matt Targett

villan-scott

They don’t seem to be comparing him to Betrand when they describe him as “runs like he’s towing a caravan” or like he’s “running into a head wind”. That’s two comments but the consensus seems that he’s slow and not all that good at defending. 

This seems more like a Steve Bruce signing: massively over paying for an average English player. 

31 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

They don’t seem to be comparing him to Betrand when they describe him as “runs like he’s towing a caravan” or like he’s “running into a head wind”. That’s two comments but the consensus seems that he’s slow and not all that good at defending. 

This seems more like a Steve Bruce signing: massively over paying for an average English player. 

i saw a saints review of him, what they said was he wont be bursting up and down the line for 90 minutes like Bertrand, but what he does do that Bertrand doesnt is he can regularly pick 40 yard balls, through balls and has a great cross on him etc, and is very tidy on the ball.

No idea if that is true tho :P

4 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I mean, even if you have your doubts - we are not doing what Bruce would do, in any shape or form. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Saints fans coming in stating he has a real lack of pace. Not ideal, but hopefully can ensure he is positionally sound to negate the fact he lacks a bit of pace. 

My sentiments exactly. 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I mean, even if you have your doubts - we are not doing what Bruce would do, in any shape or form. 

Not in general, no, but this signing has a Bruce-esque whiff about it.

Maybe I’m expecting too much, but if we’re signing players from Southampton, I want us to be buying the kind of player who is going to cause uproar amongst their fans because he’s being sold. In Targett’s case, it seems to be a collective shrug of the shoulders. 

A few left back transfers into the PL from the last few years...

Summer 2017

Andy Robertson £9m

Emerson to Chelsea £20m

Kieran Gibbs £7.5m

Summer 2018

Jonny to Wolves around £18m

Digne to Everton around £18m

Diego Rico to the always horrific in the transfer market Bournemouth was £15m

Bernardo to Brighton £9m

The Southampton fans who are saying he was too slow or lightweight are obviously just picking something to help them feel better about one of their academy graduates leaving and potentially becoming successful for another club. It's a coping strategy.

I imagine he'll be our fastest full back if/when he arrives.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Not being funny but Taylor is dire, he just about got by in the championship

Not being funny, but you're definitely being kind. I think he was being carried the whole season.

Bristol City have just sold a left-back for £13m who've never even played in the Premier league, and wasn't as good for them as Targett was for Fulham in the championship.

• Like 1

Jim White knows nothing.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's a favour being asked from our side. Muddy the waters to lower the fee in the public eye.

Not sure on Sam Wallace, but we all know how well connected John Percy is with Midlands football.

So it’s actually 11m how is that expensive based on days market? When you have championship players being quoted 20 to 40m and they have never even played in premier league. Justin a league one player went for 10 alone 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Bristol City have just sold a left-back for £13m who've never even played in the Premier league, and wasn't as good for them as Targett was for Fulham in the championship.

Bournemouth are honestly an embarrassment the prices they pay. Being better than them ain't anything to shout about.

Solanke £21m

Lerma £30m

Jordon Ibe £20m

Brad Smith £6m

Diego Rico £15m

Max Gradel £10m

Mepham £15m to never play him

Benik Afobe £14m to never play him

They're lucky Howe is such a good coach and they have a core of players they've had for years that do well for them consistently.

• Like 1

Â