Matt Targett

villan-scott

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

Surely if we are loaning him out then Hickey or another left back must be coming in. Why sign competition to strengthen the position only to let Targett go and leave us with one dedicated left back again?

maybe we see Young, Hause etc as adequate backup until the summer.....

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

If this is the only deal we do today, I'll be pissed.

Also please for the love of god can we stop loaning out every other **** player in our squad, if we don't want them then we need to demand a fee. There is no benefit to us in allowing Matty go and help Newkasbah retain PL status for another year.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I think the loan was probably something Targett wants so if they go down he's not committed to signing for a championship club. Yes we could say no and demand a fee, but similarly if there's only one interested club and it's deadline day then our hands are tied a bit.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

maybe we see Young, Hause etc as adequate backup until the summer.....

Yeah possibly, but that could still leave us short in other positions if there's a few injuries and suspensions. It just doesn't tie in with Gerrards comments about wanting a big competetive squad.

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863z6r43opzovs823gi3

ffs, he is going on loan. Why would we do this… stupid move if this goes off 

Why do we keep loaning players out? Surely Newcastle would buy him now as they really want a LB.

Other than Grealish, we just seem to let so many of our players leave on loan.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I reckon Matty wanted to go.

Also, as " prehistoric " as this might sound to some, I wonder if Heart/Balls/Desire/fight is big with SG, and Matty simply hasn't shown enough?

Say what you want about Cash, but he's a warrior.

It's not an outrageous suggestion. It would worry me if it was the case and we didn't replace him though as it would be a decision made with emotion over logic. Particularly if it's a loan with no guaranteed move.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think loaning him out to Newcastle without an obligation to buy would be madness, tbh.

We'd be the first PL team to willingly sell / loan a player to Newcastle as well, right? So much for our principled stand on things like the breakaway league, etc.

I think its disgraceful doing business with them especially as clubs agreed not to do business

They paid 50 million for an unproven player yet we are giving them a guy with 100 Premier League games for practically nothing 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Indigo said:

On a personal level I just don't like the idea of aiding Newcastle in staying up, but even beyond that unless we're definitely bringing in Hickey or whoever I just can't fathom why this would be happening on these terms.

Understand that - but punishing Aston Villa in order annoy Newcastle is bonkers. Let's take advantage of them by giving them someone is is no longer good enough to play for us. For a lot of money (hopefully!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think its disgraceful doing business with them especially as clubs agreed not to do business

They paid 50 million for an unproven player yet we are giving them a guy with 100 Premier League games for practically nothing 

I don’t see the big deal if the players wants the move. 

Just now, Pez1974 said:

Understand that - but punishing Aston Villa in order annoy Newcastle is bonkers. Let's take advantage of them by giving them someone is is no longer good enough to play for us. For a lot of money (hopefully!)

And punishing Targett. What’s the poor lad ever done wrong by the club?

• Like 2

Utterly moronic to loan him to the Barcodes.

The option to buy is irrelevant. If they stay up, they will obviously just sign someone a lot better. Why on Earth would we want to help that mob stay up.

Getting relegated would set them back a couple of years. If they stay up, they’ll be signing the players we want.

If we sold him for an inflated fee I could just about understand. A season-long loan is just incompetence. 

• Like 4

Â