Matt Targett

villan-scott

Also having Grealish in front of him will have helped Targett in many ways but I think it's wrong to soley attribute that to his good form last season, because so much of his good play had nothing to do with Grealish. Maybe a few not so good performances recently, but overall he hasn't been bad this season, I think the possible signing of Digne is mostly just because he suits Gerrard's system better.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He was decent without fans.

I'm sure he is one hell of a player in training.

This fans/no fans thing is so irrelevant. 

Grealish elevated his game. It gave Targett space to overlap and an easy out-ball rolling it to Jack's feet every time. The opposition RW was more preoccupied defensively too, 'doubling' Jack. No one who's played LW for us warrants that same attention this season.

Such a lazy, recycled argument that he is 'mentally weak' and can only play with a lack of atmosphere. The team dynamic has changed. He's a limited player who benefited greatly having one of the best players in the league ahead of him.

I'd like him to stay, but LB was in need of an upgrade. He'll be a decent back-up for a team challenging for Europe. 

• Like 2

getting a lot of unfair stick on social media which is a shame (and on here by 1 or 2)

hes going nowhere, you need 2+ decent full backs on each side and we now have that. the way gerrard plays requires a lot of work and they will need to be rotated.

• Like 3

Just now, penguin said:

He's a decent premier league level full back, excellent back up option.

Think its more "rotation" than "back up". The Prem has never been as physically demanding as it is now, the amount of distance players cover in the modern game is very high.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, samjp26 said:

Think its more "rotation" than "back up". The Prem has never been as physically demanding as it is now, the amount of distance players cover in the modern game is very high.

Exactly. Digne will be first choice, but we need a squad and now have two very competent full backs and hopefully more competitions to compete in. It’s not over here for Targett by a long shot.

Â