Matt Targett

villan-scott

45 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If you actually played him in his correct position he will be fine for cover. He is not a winger anymore and was never a central midfielder in the first place.

He turns like the Titanic, he has no position in a PL side anymore.

• Like 1

He's a very good left back I feel, when he has someone willing to work with him and hod on to the ball long enough for an overlap. Last season proved that. Granted, he was with Grealihs and that brought the bets out of him but people writing this guy off is just unfair, I feel. His defending, which was always labelled his weakest component to his game, was vastly improved last season. He just isnt a qwing back and never will be., He lacks the athleticism and agility to be a box to box wing back. But, throw him in a flat back 4 (our strongest defensive set up by a mile) and match him with someone with a brain down the left then you've got a very good player for us.

He also always plays like he actually cares. His interviews are always open, honest and refreshing rather than being a media-drilled trained monkey. I like him. He has had some poor performances this season but in a ball playing team he can be of value for sure. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Needs to stop drifting centrally when defending.

Spot on....been saying this for two years....last year he had grealish in front of him so that took a couple of players away from him.

If you look back at most of our goals conceded....they come from the wings...not necessarily crosses....but allowing the oppo wingers free time and space to run in to the box.

IMO I dont think he is good enough...played in a poor Southampton team...then Fulham....better than Taylor...yes...but a new LB would be high on my list after a CDM 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 12:55, TRO said:

I think he will prove to be the most vulnerable to SG's demands....hope I am wrong.

I agree , SG will undoubtedly be looking for high fitness level with speed to get forward and recover  ,workrate, positive aggression , and not hitting the first man when the opportunity arises to cross, we might see an incoming here as not sure the development players are ready , a bit light through the academy system at LB 

• Like 1

If he can get back to last season's form he will be fine, just strange how he has dropped in form so much, having said that he's not the only one, so he gets a fresh chance like the rest of the squad for me.

Henry: 

“You know what, people don’t know this,” Henry told Brentford’s YouTube channel. “(I supported) Aston Villa because my dad supported them.

“I went on trial at Villa and didn’t get signed so my dad stopped supporting them. So we were kind of forced to watch Birmingham. It was crazy.”

Henry played Villa whilst the club was in the Championship, and he’s also featured against Blues on four occasions for the Bees without success.

“I’m quite detached now,” he added. “Brentford is my team and you don’t want to think about other clubs. Now I don’t really support anyone.”

Unless Targett gets another player like Grealish in front of him, who the opposition are terrified of, double up on, and so don't press the left, he's going to struggle.
Maybe Bailey becomes that player, who knows? But unless that happens, Targett will not have the time and space he had the luxury of last season, and struggles without.

He'll never have the awareness, pace and mobility that Gerrard's system will demand of full backs (overlapping at speed and getting back to cover at speed), therefore I reckon we'll see him replaced in January as a priority. Without Grealish he's looked a liability to be honest. Ponderous, unsure, confused... I hope he turns it around, and better coaching will help, but I cant see him finding traits he just fundamentally does not have.

On 17/11/2021 at 15:55, TRO said:

I think he will prove to be the most vulnerable to SG's demands....hope I am wrong.

To be fair, if he does, I don't think it will be through lack of trying. That interview showed that he really cares.

We could do much worse for a backup LB if it comes to that?

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Henry: 

“You know what, people don’t know this,” Henry told Brentford’s YouTube channel. “(I supported) Aston Villa because my dad supported them.

“I went on trial at Villa and didn’t get signed so my dad stopped supporting them. So we were kind of forced to watch Birmingham. It was crazy.”

Henry played Villa whilst the club was in the Championship, and he’s also featured against Blues on four occasions for the Bees without success.

“I’m quite detached now,” he added. “Brentford is my team and you don’t want to think about other clubs. Now I don’t really support anyone.”

So his Dad stopped supporting Villa because we didn't sign him?

Doesn't sound like a big " fan " does he?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â