Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's fair enough, but don't you think it's worth trying it out? Even if it's just for 45 minutes. Say next match when Wesley most likely has contributed nothing again, why not give Trez the last 45 up front? At least we will get an indication whether there's something to work with. 

Since they play 3 at the back a big striker would be much more useful as they can pull the central cb out of position and destroy their shape. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Since they play 3 at the back a big striker would be much more useful as they can pull the central cb out of position and destroy their shape. 

I am not so sure Wesley is more suited to that than Trez. Trez has urgency, pace and works pretty hard. He's much more likely than Wes to drag a defender out of place and give room to creative players like Jack. Anyway, just my two cents. I'd certainly give Trez a run up front just to see how it pans out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's fair enough, but don't you think it's worth trying it out? Even if it's just for 45 minutes. Say next match when Wesley most likely has contributed nothing again, why not give Trez the last 45 up front? At least we will get an indication whether there's something to work with. 

Fair point. Isn’t Davies back soon?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

23 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Can't pass, can't run, can't shoot, can't trap a ball, has ZERO footballing ability"

In before the "yeah he did it in a horrendous league against terrible defenses".

That ain't the point, it's either he has ZERO footballing ability or he does. It's either he is capable of doing those things or he can't.

Although a Villa fan on fan cams did claim he couldn't score against Under 9s. Which would make more sense if he hadn't already scored.

No I'm not trying to pretend like he has been good either, but I'm not going for the absolute hyperbole surrounding the lad and the total disregard for how the performance of the rest of the team and confidence might me affecting him.

To say he needs to be dropped as he ain't doing it is one thing, to dramatically claim he is absolutely useless and will NEVER amount to anything is another.

The other classic I saw was "He was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time for his goals (tap in - which was of course pointed out)". Which doesn't even make sense as in the same breath the poster said him never being in the right place was one of the problems 😂

I totally agree that some exaggerations are ridiculous. of course he has SOME footballing ability. But for whatever reason we've just not seen very much of it. Surely no one can deny that. Apparently he's one of the strongest players stat wise on FIFA 20...but not once have we seen him actually use his apparent strength. My issues with him are primarily lack of effort...that's all i ask when a player puts on the shirt. He may have strength but he's too concerned with trying to win a free kick. His touch is frankly lazy and that's why the ball is not being held up by him

And his highlight reel really isn't that great...the bits where he done well are bolded...and some of those i've been generous where any professional footballer could have done.

Goal 1: failed to control the ball, where it just bounced off him fortunately to a team mate who gave back to him before hitting quite a tame shot that any half decent keeper would've saved (the keeper in question made no attempt to dive for reasons unknown)

Goal 2: Fair doos, decent turn and shot

Goal 3: only involvement was a flick on...not sure how it made the highlight reel

Goal 4: Bought ball down well, and a decent ball over the top

Goal 5: Keeper should've done better but he did well under pressure from defender

Goal 6: Tap in to open goal

Goal 7: Lovely near post finish

Goal 8: Poor first time attempt, fortunately bounced straight back to him for him to tap in

Goal 9: Hit post from basically a free header, fortunately bounced back to his feet to tap in (there's a theme running here)

Highlight 1: Decent long range effort saved by keeper

Highlight 2: Decent interplay before missing header

Highlight 3: Hit ball right at keeper from impossible angle to force corner

Highlight 4: OK long range effort...a better keeper would've held it

Highlight 5: Hit post from an open goal before team mate scores

Highlight 6: Decent turn and shot

Highlight 7: Decent run and ball into box

Highlight 8: Used strength well to keep attack alive

Highlight 9: Good header and save from keeper

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I hope some of the people posting optimistically about Wesley are right, and he eventually comes good. I personally don’t believe he will. But one things for sure, we can’t hang about hoping he will. We need someone to do the business now. January can’t come quick enough. Let’s hope our scouts get it right this time, and we get a striker to fire us to safety. Thought at the start of the season we were short at least a couple of strikers. Fingers crossed.

I was all up for giving Davis a run before he got injured but alot of people don't fancy him either.

I accept that the lad might need to be taken out for his own good, unless us as a team and him find a purple patch asap.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I totally agree that some exaggerations are ridiculous. of course he has SOME footballing ability. But for whatever reason we've just not seen very much of it. Surely no one can deny that. Apparently he's one of the strongest players stat wise on FIFA 20...but not once have we seen him actually use his apparent strength. My issues with him are primarily lack of effort...that's all i ask when a player puts on the shirt. He may have strength but he's too concerned with trying to win a free kick. His touch is frankly lazy and that's why the ball is not being held up by him

And his highlight reel really isn't that great...the bits where he done well are bolded...and some of those i've been generous where any professional footballer could have done.

Goal 1: failed to control the ball, where it just bounced off him fortunately to a team mate who gave back to him before hitting quite a tame shot that any half decent keeper would've saved (the keeper in question made no attempt to dive for reasons unknown)

Goal 2: Fair doos, decent turn and shot

Goal 3: only involvement was a flick on...not sure how it made the highlight reel

Goal 4: Bought ball down well, and a decent ball over the top

Goal 5: Keeper should've done better but he did well under pressure from defender

Goal 6: Tap in to open goal

Goal 7: Lovely near post finish

Goal 8: Poor first time attempt, fortunately bounced straight back to him for him to tap in

Goal 9: Hit post from basically a free header, fortunately bounced back to his feet to tap in (there's a theme running here)

Highlight 1: Decent long range effort saved by keeper

Highlight 2: Decent interplay before missing header

Highlight 3: Hit ball right at keeper from impossible angle to force corner

Highlight 4: OK long range effort...a better keeper would've held it

Highlight 5: Hit post from an open goal before team mate scores

Highlight 6: Decent turn and shot

Highlight 7: Decent run and ball into box

Highlight 8: Used strength well to keep attack alive

Highlight 9: Good header and save from keeper

That's a fair post, must admit I was impressed with that take down and turn from the long pass, there was also a very good long range pass to the forward somewhere in there.

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

His confidence is clearly shot to bits. He will play from now until January because there is no alternative. Badly needs a goal to get some belief back. Hopefully starting Saturday.

no alternative other than Kodjia who surely can't do much worse right now. Playing Wes every week isn't helping his confidence, he's getting worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

no alternative other than Kodjia who surely can't do much worse right now. Playing Wes every week isn't helping his confidence, he's getting worse.

You are right. And if Smith isn't keen on Kodjia why even have him on the bench?

I'd rather have Archer on the bench if the plan is Kodjia to be sold in January .

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You are right. And if Smith isn't keen on Kodjia why even have him on the bench?

I'd rather have Archer on the bench if the plan is Kodjia to be sold in January .

Agreed there must been someone we can recall or pluck from the youth teams.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-indiana-vassilev-wiki-14435323
This guy has been on fire of late, although probably more attacking midfielder than striker, only issue is he keeps stealing old club medals and shouting 'they belong in a museum'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Agreed there must been someone we can recall or pluck from the youth teams.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-indiana-vassilev-wiki-14435323
This guy has been on fire of late, although probably more attacking midfielder than striker, only issue is he keeps stealing old club medals and shouting 'they belong in a museum'

" Vassilev is a technically sound player who is comfortable across midfield and even in attack. He has a wand of a left foot and flourishes in sides keen to get the ball down and play free-flowing football."

Our gung ho ball losing style should suit him down to the ground them....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Do not agree with the majority of your posts but this is true. Feels pointless having Kodija on bench if no intention of using him. Unless it’s just to make him feel part of the team to keep morale high and avoid a disgruntled player in the camp. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Do not agree with the majority of your posts but this is true. Feels pointless having Kodija on bench if no intention of using him. Unless it’s just to make him feel part of the team to keep morale high and avoid a disgruntled player in the camp. 

I think I'd rather Smith put an actual useful sub on the bench rather than put someone there just for show and to "avoid a disgruntled player in the camp"

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

i agree with that speculation. i see no other reason why he's there. he clearly has no intention of playing him

On 08/12/2019 at 12:07, Dr_Pangloss said:

I genuinely don't get it. 

Look IMO he hasn't been good enough for a while and has drifted away from the initial promise he showed in his first 8-9 games and I really do have massive concerns about his capability to actually lead the line and do the things a striker should do. But it's as though people just want him to fail here, I really don't get the nastiness and determination in the criticism some on here dish out.

I really want him to push on from the clear promise he has shown at times, I really want him to be a success here over the long term. 

I would dearly love him to come good too.....but in the game analysis its hard to defend him, in some of the games, where the elements of his play have been sub standard.

However, just because a fan picks out the errors.....doesn't mean to say, those same fans wants him to do that.

I really don't understand, where that kind of deduction comes from.

Â