Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Can't pass, can't run, can't shoot, can't trap a ball, has ZERO footballing ability"

In before the "yeah he did it in a horrendous league against terrible defenses".

That ain't the point, it's either he has ZERO footballing ability or he does. It's either he is capable of doing those things or he can't.

Although a Villa fan on fan cams did claim he couldn't score against Under 9s. Which would make more sense if he hadn't already scored.

No I'm not trying to pretend like he has been good either, but I'm not going for the absolute hyperbole surrounding the lad and the total disregard for how the performance of the rest of the team and confidence might me affecting him.

To say he needs to be dropped as he ain't doing it is one thing, to dramatically claim he is absolutely useless and will NEVER amount to anything is another.

The other classic I saw was "He was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time for his goals (tap in - which was of course pointed out)". Which doesn't even make sense as in the same breath the poster said him never being in the right place was one of the problems 😂

No disrespect meant to Belgian football but all of those games seemed to be played at a much slower pace than the premier league. Wesley had ample time to trap the ball, size up his  shots and create the best angle.

I wonder if this is a cause of his problems this season. He simply won’t get that time in prem games and he needs to develop a much fitter, sharper approach to all aspects oh his game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Have anyone said that or are you just making stuff up and putting words into people's mouths to try and look smart on a messageboard? Genuine question. 

Well, it's kind of what you said when you said that before he came to Villa he'd only done it in a shitty league against bad players, and since he's played in the CL it must mean that CL is a poor league.

But the belgian league isn't a bad league. Worse than PL, yes, but not poor. Most likely one of the top 10 leagues in Europe, top 15 in the world. But this is the modern football fan for you, they watch the top teams in the CL and think that's the standard, the rest are poor players and clubs.

But it's a step up for him and he hasn't adapted very well yet, but there's no way to tell wether he'll be able to or not. Right now it's quite easy to see that he's low on confidence too..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

No disrespect meant to Belgian football but all of those games seemed to be played at a much slower pace than the premier league. Wesley had ample time to trap the ball, size up his  shots and create the best angle.

I wonder if this is a cause of his problems this season. He simply won’t get that time in prem games and he needs to develop a much fitter, sharper approach to all aspects oh his game.

Much likely, yes.

A site called Sport Witness claiming that Björn Engels agent Evert Maeschalck is the man behind us signing Wesley and Marvelous from Brugge.

Thanks?

Pitarch connection helped Aston Villa raid the Belgian market in summer – Helped with three transfers

Spending lavishly after their return to the Premier League, Aston Villa impressed on the transfer market with some of their deals, especially when it came to their defence.

Dean Smith prioritised the bolstering of his backline, while also adding some talent in midfield and up front with the likes of Marvelous Nakamba and Wesley Moraes.

A trend that was quite interesting in all this was where some of these players were playing, or had played in their past: Belgium.

Both Nakamba and Wesley were signed from Club Brugge, while Björn Engels and Trezeguet had past through the Jupiler Pro League recently (Brugge (again) and Anderlecht respectively).

Before that, there was also Lovre Kalinić, who was signed from Gent, and Aston Villa have one man to thank in particular for all these transfers: Evert Maeschalck, who works for the SportPlus agency, and oversees the affair of Engels, among others.

Sport/Foot looked at this new Belgian influx in their weekly magazine, and reported that Aston Villa’s technical director, Jesús García Pitarch, first got in touch when he started taking an interest in the Belgian defender before his move to Reims.

Through that initial contact, Maeschalck helped the Spaniard discover the leagues in Belgium.

He explained: “At the time, many players at Aston Villa were nearing the end of their contract. The club were looking for replacements. We then explored the Belgian market”.

As well as eventually bringing Engels to Villa Park, Sport/Foot reveal Maeschalck also helped Aston Villa in their efforts to sign both Wesley and Nakamba

http://sportwitness.co.uk/pitarch-connection-helped-aston-villa-raid-belgian-market-summer-helped-three-transfers/

11 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Well, it's kind of what you said when you said that before he came to Villa he'd only done it in a shitty league against bad players, and since he's played in the CL it must mean that CL is a poor league.

But the belgian league isn't a bad league. Worse than PL, yes, but not poor. Most likely one of the top 10 leagues in Europe, top 15 in the world. But this is the modern football fan for you, they watch the top teams in the CL and think that's the standard, the rest are poor players and clubs.

But it's a step up for him and he hasn't adapted very well yet, but there's no way to tell wether he'll be able to or not. Right now it's quite easy to see that he's low on confidence too..

According to Uefa it is the 7th best league in the world. But the gap between 2 (the prem) and 3 ligue 1 is massive. 

5 minutes ago, Pelle said:

That's not even remotely what I said. I said that he played for a weak team in the CL and in a mickey mouse league (where he didn't do great, but alright). I literally said the league he played in, so please don't put words into my mouth. 

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's not even remotely what I said. I said that he played for a weak team in the CL and in a mickey mouse league (where he didn't do great, but alright). I literally said the league he played in, so please don't put words into my mouth. 

Yes, and he played in the CL which I can't see that you ,memtioned specifically at all.. I don't need to put stupid words in your mouth, you do it quite well yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

According to Uefa it is the 7th best league in the world. But the gap between 2 (the prem) and 3 ligue 1 is massive. 

I'd imagine most players moving from the Jupiler League these days are not expected to come straight into the starting 11 in the top leagues. They are for the future.

This season pretty much only Osimhen and Trossard (been injured) have come in and impressed at their new clubs when you look at transfers out from Belgium.

Wesley should never have been put in this position that we are depending on him, he's clearly not ready.

This is on the club. Not saying it was as easy as just signing another striker, by all accounts they tried but failed. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Yes, and he played in the CL which I can't see that you ,memtioned specifically at all.. I don't need to put stupid words in your mouth, you do it quite well yourself.

I literally said he played in the CL? 

This is fairly simple. If you intend to quote someone or paraphrase, at least make sure you've read what they've written beforehand. Sure you wouldn't like it if someone just spouted off crap and said that's what you said when it was a lie. 

So like I said. Stop putting words into my mouth. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I literally said he played in the CL? 

This is fairly simple. If you intend to quote someone or paraphrase, at least make sure you've read what they've written beforehand. Sure you wouldn't like it if someone just spouted off crap and said that's what you said when it was a lie. 

So like I said. Stop putting words into my mouth. 

Yeaj, I'm sorry, you mentioned it once after JV said that he'd played in the CL, then you had to add that he played for a weak Ass side and in a micky mouse league. And that's quite telling, 7th best league in the world is according to you a mickey mouse league. As said, no need to put words in your mouth. In this thread you've said some seriously stupid things all by yourself.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Yeaj, I'm sorry, you mentioned it once after JV said that he'd played in the CL, then you had to add that he played for a weak Ass side and in a micky mouse league. And that's quite telling, 7th best league in the world is according to you a mickey mouse league. As said, no need to put words in your mouth. In this thread you've said some seriously stupid things all by yourself.

All subjective, I think you are coming across like an idiot personally. What you disagree with or not doesn't really interest me. Just be careful what you're paraphrasing next time.

And yes it is a mickey mouse league, cause it's all relative. It's basically the same a player's quality. He might do alright in a 7th best league in the world, but that does not mean it's transferable to the 1-2 best leagues in the world. 

No need to put words into my mouth? Why are you doing it then? Stupid things eh. The irony is awesome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

True, but to be fair, I think even some of our best performers from the Championship are having the same problem re: adjustment , Tyrone for example, obviously one of our best players, but still thinks he can get away with dillying and playing around with the ball.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Can't pass, can't run, can't shoot, can't trap a ball, has ZERO footballing ability"

In before the "yeah he did it in a horrendous league against terrible defenses".

That ain't the point, it's either he has ZERO footballing ability or he does. It's either he is capable of doing those things or he can't.

Although a Villa fan on fan cams did claim he couldn't score against Under 9s. Which would make more sense if he hadn't already scored.

No I'm not trying to pretend like he has been good either, but I'm not going for the absolute hyperbole surrounding the lad and the total disregard for how the performance of the rest of the team and confidence might me affecting him.

To say he needs to be dropped as he ain't doing it is one thing, to dramatically claim he is absolutely useless and will NEVER amount to anything is another.

The other classic I saw was "He was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time for his goals (tap in - which was of course pointed out)". Which doesn't even make sense as in the same breath the poster said him never being in the right place was one of the problems 😂

I needed to see this vid to regain some faith in him. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but he does need more time. Once he gets a bit more confidence in his play he could be a very different player.

Anyone here who plays themselves will know how much difference confidence can make.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I needed to see this vid to regain some faith in him. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but he does need more time. Once he gets a bit more confidence in his play he could be a very different player.

Anyone here who plays themselves will know how much difference confidence can make.

I think everyone are happy seeing him develop and given time, but it can't be in the first team. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

His confidence is clearly shot to bits. He will play from now until January because there is no alternative. Badly needs a goal to get some belief back. Hopefully starting Saturday.

Why isn't Trez up front an alternative really? I honestly think it is. I just can't see what Wesley is so exceptionally good at that we will lose out by playing Trez. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why isn't Trez up front an alternative really? I honestly think it is. I just can't see what Wesley is so exceptionally good at that we will lose out by playing Trez. 

We would lose out on your exceptionally interesting criticism of wes. Although I'm sure if trez didn't score in a game you would find a way to blame Wesley. 

• Haha 3

I hope some of the people posting optimistically about Wesley are right, and he eventually comes good. I personally don’t believe he will. But one things for sure, we can’t hang about hoping he will. We need someone to do the business now. January can’t come quick enough. Let’s hope our scouts get it right this time, and we get a striker to fire us to safety. Thought at the start of the season we were short at least a couple of strikers. Fingers crossed.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Too lightweight in my opinion. Wes has shown in certain games like v Everton and Newcastle how much of a handful he can be. I’d stick with Wes over the crucial run against teams around us.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Too lightweight in my opinion. Wes has shown in certain games like v Everton and Newcastle how much of a handful he can be. I’d stick with Wes over the crucial run against teams around us.

That's fair enough, but don't you think it's worth trying it out? Even if it's just for 45 minutes. Say next match when Wesley most likely has contributed nothing again, why not give Trez the last 45 up front? At least we will get an indication whether there's something to work with. 

Â