Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If our bid is in fact 11m, then we don't deserve to get him! 
I'm all for going in low to start, but come on, imagine if someone offered that for Mcginn...

I don't think he is worth 30m, but we need to get real if we think we're getting him for less than 20m. 

somebody did last summer and got him for less than 3 million

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

This thread descended in to "We are Villa so automatically better than X team because we were good 40 years ago", pretty quickly......

We DO have a bigger fan base, stadium and history than most clubs in the UK, we currently DO NOT have the current reputation to claim we are better than Wolves, they are in Europe and finished 7th in the league, we just turned the corner after literally 10 years in the wilderness, 3 of those included relegation and playing in the lower tier.

Hopefully after this  season we can claim to be a successful club again, right now we are club that used to be successful.

I look forward to the live action remake of Disney's "The Wolf King".

Villa iz the bestest.

Before last season Wolves had spent a lot longer in the wilderness than we have done, we were only out of the Premier league for three seasons, I'm not even sure if they'd spent that long in the Premier league in the past thirty odd years before last season. They finished seventh last season, but everyone outside of the top six is a much of a muchness, the season before it was Burnley who finished seventh. So yes whilst Wolves currently have a better team than us, I don't think they have a big advantage over us when it comes to attracting players, unless said player happens to be connected to Mendes in some way, and the fact that we have to spread our money more thinley than they do.

Edited by useless

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

This thread descended in to "We are Villa so automatically better than X team because we were good 40 years ago", pretty quickly......

We DO have a bigger fan base, stadium and history than most clubs in the UK, we currently DO NOT have the current reputation to claim we are better than Wolves, they are in Europe and finished 7th in the league, we just turned the corner after literally 10 years in the wilderness, 3 of those included relegation and playing in the lower tier.

Hopefully after this  season we can claim to be a successful club again, right now we are club that used to be successful, a sleeping giant, who is finally hoping to to a "big club" again. (current success)

Let's not lose track of reality people, success and prestige is earned not given, our decline started a decade ago and culminated in near rock bottom mid/late 2018.

Lets be realistic and humble guys, and UTV.

While I agree with this totally, each case has to be examined on its own merit, and in the case of Phillips and Wolves v Villa this summer, it’s not difficult to see why he might prefer us. I don’t think the fees or wages would be any different, and it won’t be a case of preferring one over the other due to location (no London factor anyway). Wolves have got Europe and a stable place in the league, we’ve got history and a promising future. 

Wolves also have a very crowded midfield, whereas we have a Phillips-sized hole at DM. So, does he want a spot in the starting eleven and plenty of minutes, or does he want to be a backup, but with the potential to start European matches? I know which one I’d prefer, but I might admittedly have some bias.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Phillips is in the team to play Guiseley this evening. 

To be honest I don't think that means a whole lot. Most clubs would keep assets in the team to maintain a good position for any sale surely? 

I think him not being at the kit launch speaks volumes though 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

To be honest I don't think that means a whole lot. Most clubs would keep assets in the team to maintain a good position for any sale surely? 

I think him not being at the kit launch speaks volumes though 

Yeah him being in the team just means it isn't close right now. 

A bit disappointed Phillips is playing tonight. Ah well. Don't know what that means to be honest. Maybe we move on now. We definitely need at least one capable defensive mid and soon.

Â