Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Phillips is already Prem standard and has already been coached into the role by Bielsa. Very low risk for me and would be an exceptional signing who would hit the ground  running (literally) from day one. 

Ramires is the type of signing we would have attempted when we had money but were run less well. He’s got “west ham” written all over him if he comes back to England.

He learnt Bielsa's system for Bielsa's team and approach. Even if it's covering the same territory his role and the dynamic will change.

I think Ramires' a bit better than your Reo-Coker's and Sidwell's of this world. I agree with your West Ham comment, though it wouldn't weaken them as a side.

Influential in Chelsea's Champions League victory over Bayern via Barcelona. Won both League and FA cups. Won the Premier League. Played in the World Cup semi final for Brazil.

Olympic bronze medal. Confederations Cup winner. Chelsea players' player of the year award. Chelsea's goal of the year award twice. Won the Europa League too.

We saw how good Terry was for us at age 37. Ramires is 32. I'd never pay him 200k pw, but nor would I believe him to be looking for it, as he's back in Brazil.

Ruined what could have been a much better finish to his playing career by taking the Chinese money. Then got into trouble and dropped for saying he wanted back to Europe.

But I don't even particularly want Ramires here, I'd possibly if not probably take him before Philips if his wages reflected his position in the squad.

Speaking of West Ham and 30million. Felipe Anderson. Bit more expensive but more advanced role, so worth more for that alone anyway. Surely there's a DM equivalent for us.

Edited by A'Villan

Felipe Anderson had a horrendous last half of last season. Talk about mercurial. I was winding people up on FPL sites that he'd had 1 shot on target in 6 games. Added another game for the next 5 games or something then he got dropped

That said not sure what relevance he has to a CDM 

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Phillips is brilliant, I really hope we push the boat out for him.  He'd combine perfectly with McGinn and Grealish and really would give us a very talented young and dynamic midfield.

I totally agree. He would be absolutely ideal and a hugely exciting signing.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He will be playing for England in the next two years if he get his prem move.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

9 minutes ago, omariqy said:

He will be playing for England in the next two years if he get his prem move.

I'll have to take your word for it. Can I ask, what am I missing?

Without a doubt holds his own at Championship level defensively speaking, on the ball I saw absolutely nothing noteworthy. His physicality is there obviously.

If Smith wants him, so do I at the end of the day, just commenting from my own observations, I didn't think him all that special. Ampadu I would have been excited by.

24 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Felipe Anderson had a horrendous last half of last season. Talk about mercurial. I was winding people up on FPL sites that he'd had 1 shot on target in 6 games. Added another game for the next 5 games or something then he got dropped

That said not sure what relevance he has to a CDM 

Anderson has scored 1 in 4 for West Ham. That's just about double digit goal contributions per season by averages.

The relevance to a holding midfielder is that West Ham paid just about the same price for an AM (who attract higher fees), as we will for Kalvin Philips.

Anderson was well established for Lazio when he was bought by West Ham. So he was also proven at a higher level.

According to KA data analysis in 2018/19, Serie A was the 3rd best league worldwide, EFL Championship 20th.

If he's our man, then he's our man. I'll back him. I just would of thought from what I've seen, we could find better from one of the 18 leagues between the PL and Championship.

9 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Anderson has scored 1 in 4 for West Ham. That's just about double digit goal contributions per season by averages.

The relevance to a holding midfielder is that West Ham paid just about the same price for an AM (who attract higher fees), as we will for Kalvin Philips.

Anderson was well established for Lazio when he was bought by West Ham. So he was also proven at a higher level.

According to KA data analysis in 2018/19, Serie A was the 3rd best league worldwide, EFL Championship 20th.

If he's our man, then he's our man. I'll back him. I just would of thought from what I've seen, we could find better from one of the 18 leagues between the PL and Championship.

He did score 1 in 4 in about an 11 week period after a slow start and then turned to pot. It's possible the Arnautavic leaving, not leaving affected the team. I place a high value on CDM if they prevent goals being scored and improve possession and distribution. It's one of the most important positions we need to fill. Besides your basing similar transfer fees based on paper/internet talk which I trust as far as I can spit 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Without a doubt holds his own at Championship level defensively speaking, on the ball I saw absolutely nothing noteworthy. His physicality is there obviously.

If Smith wants him, so do I at the end of the day, just commenting from my own observations, I didn't think him all that special. Ampadu I would have been excited by.

Hard to answer, its not particularly quantifiable.

He just strikes me as being a player who is intelligent in his movement and play, physically imposing and who has a real positional discipline to his game. I could well be wrong but I think he has huge potential.

For me it is more about the player I think he will become than the player he is now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Phillips

- Ability to cover ground at pace. Smith is looking for someone that can run 12km plus per game. Santamaria is another player who covers lots of ground.
- Positioning - a key strength for anyone playing the DM role. Phillips has this in abundance. Always in the right place to either close off avenues or make interceptions.
- Flexibility - has played higher up the pitch previously but more importantly can slot in at CB
- Turn and face - an old football cliche but this is the reason why I think he will play for England. He is very comfortable at receiving the ball from the GK or CBs on the half turn with pressure being on him. We have so many who play that position that either panic or take the safe option. Time and time again I have seen Phillips turn and whip a ball to the full backs or turn and find a midfielder in between the lines. It's the equivalent of end product for a DM for me. 

Lastly, you just need to ask Jack Grealish about who was his toughest opponent last season. This guy gave him a torrid time and he hated playing against him.

this. would be very excited if we got an offer accepted for him.

32 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Each to their own but buying ampadu would be the very definition of taking a risk for me.

Kid has played a few games cup games for Chelsea and internationals for Wales. 

Phillips is much more proven. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Phillips

- Ability to cover ground at pace. Smith is looking for someone that can run 12km plus per game. Santamaria is another player who covers lots of ground.
- Positioning - a key strength for anyone playing the DM role. Phillips has this in abundance. Always in the right place to either close off avenues or make interceptions.
- Flexibility - has played higher up the pitch previously but more importantly can slot in at CB
- Turn and face - an old football cliche but this is the reason why I think he will play for England. He is very comfortable at receiving the ball from the GK or CBs on the half turn with pressure being on him. We have so many who play that position that either panic or take the safe option. Time and time again I have seen Phillips turn and whip a ball to the full backs or turn and find a midfielder in between the lines. It's the equivalent of end product for a DM for me. 

Lastly, you just need to ask Jack Grealish about who was his toughest opponent last season. This guy gave him a torrid time and he hated playing against him.

Nice. 👍

Philips is an old fashioned hard man with the modern touch and athletic ability of a 'Bielsa' player. That's a great combination for a key position which is a major weakness for us.

Like Mings, he's worth paying an inflated price for.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Phillips

Added to this with some numbers...

• Aerial ability - 2.6 aerials won per game last season. We have a fairly diminutive midfield, despite only being 5'9 Phillips would add an extra dimension.
  • Aggressive - He is up in your grill, on you like a whippet. There are suggestions he lacks discipline at times, but 9 yellows and 1 red don't scream 'liability'. It allows him to make 2.6 tackles per game, good for 11th in the Championship.
  • Passing accuracy and range - Averaged 58.5 passes per game with an 82.1% accuracy. Added to that were 4.6 long balls per game (5th amongst championship midfielders), so he is adept at mixing it up and breaking the lines.

The ability to slot in at centre back is huge. Not just in an emergency cover sense, but when those centre halves of ours step up into midfield, or the full backs push forward to create on overload, we require our defensive mid to drop in and add an extra (hopefully capable) body to the defensive line. This was something Whelo did a lot of, Hourihane not so much. Phillips appears to be a perfect balance between the two with added fire.  

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

I can also see him bringing the best out of Hourihane leaving him to focus further forward . Centre midfield options of Phillips Mcginn Hourihane & if I’m being greedy Santamaria gives us multiple possibilities in setting up dependent on the opposition. 

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I can also see him bringing the best out of Hourihane leaving him to focus further forward . Centre midfield options of Phillips Mcginn Hourihane & if I’m being greedy Santamaria gives us multiple possibilities in setting up dependent on the opposition. 

Yeah, I am perfectly fine with Hourihane being the backup to both McGinn and Grealish. There are going to be injuries/suspensions. 

Blimey, we are light in midfield aren't we? After that it's straight down to Lansbury and Birkir, though maybe they are taking a good look at Doyle-Hayes and O'Hare. 

• Like 1

Â