Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If Wolves' 2018/19 is the benchmark for you next season, I think you'll be disappointed.

They came up with a team of players made mostly up of already PL players that they got for a fraction of their cost.

Then they signed more players good enough for Champions League clubs for a fraction of their cost. And added it to their already gelled team.

I just want us to get on and sign good players! I have total faith in Smith to coach a competitive side aside from perhaps a smidge of tactical inflexibility that I've mentioned before. I don't want him getting hung out to dry and sent into the season short, it'll be a right mess. Fans will turn, confidence will dry up, and usually the coach ends up getting the bullet which will be an error.

"I believe player like McGinn, Mings and Grealish will cause the champions problems."

Well I agree with two of them, but we don't own Mings. Grealish gets smashed all the time, what happens if he goes down injured week one? We're done for as it currently stands. We need to get players in to give Smith as much time as possible with them all.

Update your post fam ;)😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sneaking feeling now we have broke the deadlock with mings and signed him this one will be next and I expect it to be similarly structured and around about the same value. 

Why am i a bit...meh,  about this. I've seen him play a fair bit. Am i missing something ? I'd have Gueye back in a hearbeat if Everton were selling.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Why am i a bit...meh,  about this. I've seen him play a fair bit. Am i missing something ? I'd have Gueye back in a hearbeat if Everton were selling.

Dunno maybe you are? Maybe you aren't.

He was better for Leeds last season than Gueye was for us I reckon. Gueye has gone on to prove it in the PL. I have no doubts Phillips will be there before long.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Dunno maybe you are? Maybe you aren't.

He was better for Leeds last season than Gueye was for us I reckon. Gueye has gone on to prove it in the PL. I have no doubts Phillips will be there before long.

Gueye most successful tackles and interceptions per match across top 5 leagues in Europe in 2016 calendar year. So from Jan-May with us

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Gueye most successful tackles and interceptions per match across top 5 leagues in Europe in 2016 calendar year. So from Jan-May with us

So?

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Correct.

I misread the comparison. I like the Phillips link too though looking into Santamaria the other day wouldn't mind him as alternative if rumours are true(probably not).

21 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

If they are, it isn't to Aston Villa. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I misread the comparison. I like the Phillips link too though looking into Santamaria the other day wouldn't mind him as alternative if rumours are true(probably not).

I think don't think Phillips move will happen to be honest, been too long and Leeds are flogging anyone except him to raise funds.

Rongier and Santamaria are the two from France and it appears Santamaria is the more defensive of the pair, so he's the one I think we should pursue right now.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I'm in the same boat. Maybe he is terrific but I've seen little of him since I only watch Villa games and only really seem to remember him as being a bit of a word removed - with a shit haircut - who fouled Grealish a lot.

But there are plenty here who watch more non-Villa games than me who are bigging him up and if the staff want him here, that's good enough to go for him. However, I'm sure they'll have their walk-away figure too so it's all down to whether Leeds have exceeded that and clearly won't move on it.

And like you, I'd rather have Gana back but don't see that happening. :lol:

12 minutes ago, privateer said:

I'm in the same boat. Maybe he is terrific but I've seen little of him since I only watch Villa games and only really seem to remember him as being a bit of a word removed - with a shit haircut - who fouled Grealish a lot.

But there are plenty here who watch more non-Villa games than me who are bigging him up and if the staff want him here, that's good enough to go for him. However, I'm sure they'll have their walk-away figure too so it's all down to whether Leeds have exceeded that and clearly won't move on it.

And like you, I'd rather have Gana back but don't see that happening. :lol:

If it's 2-3 years ago we get Phillips much cheaper. They were stone broke then. Lewis Cook arguably the best talent they've produced in recent years. Sold him for 10 million.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I think don't think Phillips move will happen to be honest, been too long and Leeds are flogging anyone except him to raise funds.

Rongier and Santamaria are the two from France and it appears Santamaria is the more defensive of the pair, so he's the one I think we should pursue right now.

There's always a price. If we really want him (which it looks like we do) then I think we'll eventually get him, but at a premium.

People have made the comparison with Jack staying here last summer, but the difference IMO is Phillips will be thinking this could be his only opportunity to step up a level, whereas there'll always be big Premier League clubs interested in signing Jack. It's a short career, and you need to take your chances, so I think head will overrule heart in the end. Leeds will be well compensated which will help to save face.

Re: the French alternatives, I wonder if it would be worth us signing two DMs anyway. I don't trust any of our current squad to cover there, so it'll be a gamble to rely on Phillips (or whoever) staying fit all season.

Rongier and Phillips are different types of DM anyway from what I've seen. Phillips is more of a destroyer, very good at man marking. Rongier is more of a quarterback. Looks a very tasty player who would fit our system well. Could be good to have both options. I've not seen Santamaria, but I gather he is more in the robust tackler mould, like Phillips.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

There's always a price. If we really want him (which it looks like we do) then I think we'll eventually get him, but at a premium.

People have made the comparison with Jack staying here last summer, but the difference IMO is Phillips will be thinking this could be his only opportunity to step up a level, whereas there'll always be big Premier League clubs interested in signing Jack. It's a short career, and you need to take your chances, so I think head will overrule heart in the end. Leeds will be well compensated which will help to save face.

Re: the French alternatives, I wonder if it would be worth us signing two DMs anyway. I don't trust any of our current squad to cover there, so it'll be a gamble to rely on Phillips (or whoever) staying fit all season.

Rongier and Phillips are different types of DM anyway from what I've seen. Phillips is more of a destroyer, very good at man marking. Rongier is more of a quarterback. Looks a very tasty player who would fit our system well. Could be good to have both options. I've not seen Santamaria, but I gather he is more in the robust tackler mould, like Phillips.

If the highlighted is going to be the case, then I go back to what I was saying earlier about him, and Smith will really have to coach the role into him to make him PL standard.

We have enough money to make some key additions to our side because of the promotion money. 30million for a 23 year old who's not certain to make the grade?

That's a very significant portion of the 170million to spend on one player, considering our situation with players needing to come in. He better have interest from the top tier.

I know we're future planning and he's 23, but 30million? Barca bought a Brazil international who's 22 for that price just last year in Arthur.

I mean the championship is the 20th ranked league world wide. Surely there's someone in a league between 1-20th best for better value.

I'd consider recruiting Ramires on a free before putting pen to paper to sign KP. He's 32, won the Champions League, PL, played for Brazil.

Completely ruined his career going to China and wanted a move to Europe again, where Inter Milan were interested. He was on 200,000 a week in China.

Even if we paid him that he'd still be cheaper than signing Phillips for 3-4 years.

Edited by A'Villan

Phillips is already Prem standard and has already been coached into the role by Bielsa. Very low risk for me and would be an exceptional signing who would hit the ground  running (literally) from day one. 

Ramires is the type of signing we would have attempted when we had money but were run less well. He’s got “west ham” written all over him if he comes back to England.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Phillips is already Prem standard and has already been coached into the role by Bielsa. Very low risk for me and would be an exceptional signing who would hit the ground  running (literally) from day one. 

Ramires is the type of signing we would have attempted when we had money but were run less well. He’s got “west ham” written all over him if he comes back to England.

That’s speculation no one knows yet only if and when he plays premier league football. The only reason Leeds have him at 30m is because what he means to that Leeds side. 

Like how grealish is to us. Doesn’t mean he is worth that figure. If we were a established pl side and we needed lest say only four players this summer we could do that deal. But we need so many players this year we need to not be reckless on our spending.

i think we are better waiting then getting ripped off.

Waiting for what? To be relegated? I get that we could find better value elsewhere, although 30m is a dreamt up tabloid figure, but what are we waiting for exactly?

33 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Waiting for what? To be relegated? I get that we could find better value elsewhere, although 30m is a dreamt up tabloid figure, but what are we waiting for exactly?

Next summer.

Your telling me we can't find another dm  for that figure or less? 

So you’re saying that we should spend less money and take a gamble on a totally unproven dmc in English Football? Or take a has been on high wages to reduce cost?

No thanks - DMC is a critical buy. In a perfect world we need Phillips and cheaper cover.

Conor can warm the bench for McGinn. 

Â