Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah, I am perfectly fine with Hourihane being the backup to both McGinn and Grealish. There are going to be injuries/suspensions. 

Blimey, we are light in midfield aren't we? After that it's straight down to Lansbury and Birkir, though maybe they are taking a good look at Doyle-Hayes and O'Hare. 

Also suspect we will go for Tom Baylis from Coventry to add depth and quality and we ideally need two DM/CM as relying on Thor & Lansbury doesn’t bare thinking about... 

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That’s speculation no one knows yet only if and when he plays premier league football. The only reason Leeds have him at 30m is because what he means to that Leeds side. 

Like how grealish is to us. Doesn’t mean he is worth that figure. If we were a established pl side and we needed lest say only four players this summer we could do that deal. But we need so many players this year we need to not be reckless on our spending.

i think we are better waiting then getting ripped off.

I think the need for a defensive midfielder is arguably bigger than the need for further squad depth (beyond the players already in our sights).

If we put out weakened squads in the cups, then realistically we only have 38 games to worry about this season, and most of our players won't be playing internationals. The workload means we should be able to avoid an injury crisis.

Thing is, when Leeds are asking for a transfer fee of something like £30m, his salary needs to reflect that he's that important to them.

He should easily be their highest paid player given the valuation they are asking for him. 

If this is going to come down to who pays him more than Leeds just can't compete. Aston Villa may have reformed their wage structure a bit since the days of sticking everyone and their dog on £60k a week, but even a modest £30k a week is likely way more than Leeds can afford to throw at a player. 

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Leeds fans think this is pure gamesmanship from the leeds board in preparation for a sale.

Offer shite terms then claim they tried to keep him!

I said from the beginning Leeds would do this. I think they need to. Fans are already pissed at the way they finished the season, selling their prize asset to the team who pipped them to the promotion spot they had nailed on at Christmas is going to hurt.

Leeds board need to save face and the only way of really doing that, without going all out to try to keep him, is to pretend you went all out to try to keep him.  That being said, preseason training has started so I wish teams would stop buggering around because that's a position we need to fill quite badly, and we don't want someone coming in at the start of the actual season and needing time to get used to the team and system.

2 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

I said from the beginning Leeds would do this. I think they need to. Fans are already pissed at the way they finished the season, selling their prize asset to the team who pipped them to the promotion spot they had nailed on at Christmas is going to hurt.

Leeds board need to save face and the only way of really doing that, without going all out to try to keep him, is to pretend you went all out to try to keep him.  That being said, preseason training has started so I wish teams would stop buggering around because that's a position we need to fill quite badly, and we don't want someone coming in at the start of the actual season and needing time to get used to the team and system.

It wont nesacarilly mean it will ne a late sale. Once the ruse has been sold they will say they had no choice. First part will be this first contract offer.

They already have his replacement signed, if my memory is right.

19 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He is on 4.5k a week. Guarantee Leeds offered him something like 12-15k a week. We can easily do 20k if not more. 

Surely we could offer a lot more than that?

14 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He is on 4.5k a week. Guarantee Leeds offered him something like 12-15k a week. We can easily do 20k if not more. 

You don’t sign players @ circa  £20million and put them on £20k PW ... it will be £45k + 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

You don’t sign players @ circa  £20million and put them on £20k PW ... it will be £45k + 

We are Villa, make it 80k, and throw in a gold plated car so they can take a picture of it and post it on social media.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never heard a report of rejecting an initial contract offer. Somebody is clearly playing silly buggers. 

Either it was that bad that the agent is putting down a marker, or the club are spinning a yarn. Either way, it's not great news for Leeds fans. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've never heard a report of rejecting an initial contract offer. Somebody is clearly playing silly buggers. 

Either it was that bad that the agent is putting down a marker, or the club are spinning a yarn. Either way, it's not great news for Leeds fans. 

Yep. Good point. 

Â