Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Leeds fans though, put a penis in a Leeds shirt and they'd queue to suck it off.

Should have clarified, Manchester United fans. I was reading their thread on McGinn and their take on our midfield was really interesting.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Should have clarified, Manchester United fans. I was reading their thread on McGinn and their take on our midfield was really interesting.

How so?

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Interesting. What was said?

3 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Interesting. What was said?

Basically what I said before that we'd have one of the better midfields in the league if we pulled it off. I would agree with that but I'm biased so hearing it from fans of a top 6 club was interesting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Basically what I said before that we'd have one of the better midfields in the league if we pulled it off. I would agree with that but I'm biased so hearing it from fans of a top 6 club was interesting.

I think we’d have one of the most energetic midfields that’s for sure. 

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am not sure, but aren't they completely different midfielders? Thought Santamaria was more of s cultured cm in the Veretout mould, not an intercepting tackling menace. 

i thought he was  a ball winner/ DM , but could be wrong.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

i thought he was  a ball winner/ DM , but could be wrong.

Definitely DM. Stats, heat maps, and 1 goal 0 assists in 106 games. 

Checked relevant DM per game stats Santamaria vs Phillips last season

Tackles/Interceptions/Clearances

3.1/1.6/1.4 vs 2.6/1.3/2.6

Passes/% successful/Long balls

39.2/81/3.2 vs 58.5/82/2.1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

or Santamaria, is he any good?

They say he's statistically better than Mcginn, while Mcginn picks up 2.1 tackles a game Santa Maria gets over 4.0 tackles a game.

Personally I'd buy Baptists if that's the case and have them both in my arsenal. Below his stats, he does sound very appealing.

I like his nickname 4x4 lol.

Baptiste averaged over three tackles per game in Ligue 1 across 2018/19 and ran more kilometres (442) than any other player in Angers’ squad, earning the nickname ‘4x4’ for his ability to cover the ground with ease. Even John McGinn, Villa's all-action fans' favourite wins the ball back far less frequently on average (2.1 tackles per game).

Santamaria also produces more interceptions (1.6 compared to 1.5) and even boasts a better pass completion rate (81 per cent compared to 78 per cent).

Sound sexy doesn't and to think what the competition would be like between the two of them, it would be energy drinks x 50k

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Santamaria would be cheaper than Phillips as well.  He sounds like gueye.  I'd rather pay less for him than get ripped of by Leeds. 

We can get Phillips next summer for a lot cheaper if they don't go up and we stay up.

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Santamaria would be cheaper than Phillips as well.  He sounds like gueye.  I'd rather pay less for him than get ripped of by Leeds. 

We can get Phillips next summer for a lot cheaper if they don't go up and we stay up.

I'm liking his numbers and the distance he covers which is not often included in stats sites 

• Like 1

I wasn't particularly impressed with Phillips, not that he's not excellent at the role he played for Leeds.

Rather I am skeptical as to how influential he would be when Man City try to carve up our side and penetrate our lines.

But I have no idea what the fee would be, and that would be a factor in how I felt about signing him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I wasn't particularly impressed with Phillips, not that he's not excellent at the role he played for Leeds.

Rather I am skeptical as to how influential he would be when Man City try to carve up our side and penetrate our lines.

But I have no idea what the fee would be, and that would be a factor in how I felt about signing him.

Whenever I watched Leeds I was always impressed more with Klich and Pablo Hernandez although of course they play more further forward so not as essential given what we've already got at the club.

I'm not convinced Phillips is that much better than Ryan Woods who always had stormers against us, was a good player generally for Brentford but hardly got a game for Stoke in the run in.

I'm surprised we haven't been linked to Joe Allen at all. Thought he was brilliant at VP last season and surely Stoke would cash in on him with another year in the championship, he always plays the DM role well for Wales.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Whenever I watched Leeds I was always impressed more with Klich and Pablo Hernandez although of course they play more further forward so not as essential given what we've already got at the club.

I'm not convinced Phillips is that much better than Ryan Woods who always had stormers against us, was a good player generally for Brentford but hardly got a game for Stoke in the run in.

I'm surprised we haven't been linked to Joe Allen at all. Thought he was brilliant at VP last season and surely Stoke would cash in on him with another year in the championship, he always plays the DM role well for Wales.

Agreed, Phillips is farcically overrated on this board.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Will probably get some stick for saying this, but Pablo Hernandez was possibly as valuable to Leeds as Grealish was for us. At 34 that's pretty impressive.

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

If you think that we should only sign players who would be good enough to prevent the league champions from carving us up, then we'd sign nobody. You need to be a lot more realistic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

He was sensational last season I agree.

If you only want players who are good enough to stop Man City scoring against us I think you're going to be very disappointed this summer.

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If you think that we should only sign players who would be good enough to prevent the league champions from carving us up, then we'd sign nobody. You need to be a lot more realistic.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

He was sensational last season I agree.

If you only want players who are good enough to stop Man City scoring against us I think you're going to be very disappointed this summer.

Wolves managed to prevent it from happening on at least one occasion. Why can't we?

I believe player like McGinn, Mings and Grealish will cause the champions problems.

What is the outcome of our season going to look like if we can't recruit players that will fulfill a role in order for us to compete.

I'm telling you now, it will be bleak.

But I don't think you've taken my comment how I meant it. We can explore that if you like, maybe you have.

According to one of their trusted sources leeds are looking at our own ginger nemesis Ryan woods to replace Philip's if we 'batter down the door' to get him.

That phrase doesn't come across like they will fold into selling him cheap, and I'll be shocked if we go over 20 million. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Wolves managed to prevent it from happening on at least one occasion. Why can't we?

I believe player like McGinn, Mings and Grealish will cause the champions problems.

What is the outcome of our season going to look like if we can't recruit players that will fulfill a role in order for us to compete.

I'm telling you now, it will be bleak.

But I don't think you've taken my comment how I meant it. We can explore that if you like, maybe you have.

If Wolves' 2018/19 is the benchmark for you next season, I think you'll be disappointed.

They came up with a team of players made mostly up of already PL players that they got for a fraction of their cost.

Then they signed more players good enough for Champions League clubs for a fraction of their cost. And added it to their already gelled team.

I just want us to get on and sign good players! I have total faith in Smith to coach a competitive side aside from perhaps a smidge of tactical inflexibility that I've mentioned before. I don't want him getting hung out to dry and sent into the season short, it'll be a right mess. Fans will turn, confidence will dry up, and usually the coach ends up getting the bullet which will be an error.

"I believe player like McGinn, Mings and Grealish will cause the champions problems."

Well I agree with two of them, but we don't own Mings. Grealish gets smashed all the time, what happens if he goes down injured week one? We're done for as it currently stands. We need to get players in to give Smith as much time as possible with them all.

• Like 2

Â