Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

I want him to want to leave. None of this i’ll only leave if forced to. Very similar to jack last season. I don’t think jack wanted to leave but he would have if forced. The difference here is jack was being hunted by a top top club in Spurs and he still weren’t fussed about leaving us for them. Does the lad from Leeds get excited about going to Villa who are no doubt a big club, but haven’t been a top club for a few years and a club that’s only just gained promotion. 

• Like 1

There is also the premier League factor though. Leeds are seemingly cursed to never get promoted to the top flight again. No matter what they do they always seem to balls it up spectacularly. So if Phillips wants to realise his potential he should leave. And if he doesn't have the ambition to do so then maybe he isn't the player we need

11 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I have a different take on Delph.He was signed for 8 million but was injured for first couple of years and I think he didn’t want to leave for nothing.So by signing contract then leaving he felt he was giving us something back.He could have easily have left in the summer on a free.

Which is all well and good... but the whole “this is my club and I’m staying” rhetoric went right out of the window in the space of a fortnight 

If he has England aspirations (not saying he is that good atm but if Eric dier can play DM) with Euro 2020 soon to on the horizon he needs to think carefully whether another season in the championship is useful for his career especially how madcap Bielsa is and could walk by Xmas based on past form ... 

Do we even know if he's actually a Leeds fan, they used to say the same about James Milner but it turned out he was a Huddersfield fan growing up, even if he is a Leeds fan, it doesn't mean to say that he is to the same extent that Grealish is a fan of us, a lot of footballers have boyhood teams, doesn't mean to say that they want to play for them their whole careers. Another thing that Phillips would have to think about if we want him, is that the season before last he really wasn't that very highly rated, in fact a lot of Leeds fans wanted him out the team, if he turns down a chance to join a Premier league side now it could be his last chance, as there's no guarantee that he will be as good next season in the championship as he was last season.

5 hours ago, mykeyb said:

How many minutes of football have you seen Nakamba play?

To be honest not so much as we've obviously seen Phillips play alot more, but the big lad Nakamba has a heck of a shot on him from way out of the box with precision and power. He can cause all manner of problems to defenders and has no trouble getting past his man.

From what I have seen I would rather see him with us than pay all that money for Phillips.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

To be honest not so much as we've obviously seen Phillips play alot more, but the big lad Nakamba has a heck of a shot on him from way out of the box with precision and power. He can cause all manner of problems to defenders and has no trouble getting past his man.

From what I have seen I would rather see him with us than pay all that money for Phillips.

I like Phillips.....but I have a worry about players, who want to play for their boyhood club....Their heart is not quiet in it,for anyone else.

I would feel the same about Jack, if I was a Spurs fan....Jack has nailed his colours too firmly to the mast, to be any good for anyone else.....I am glad to say......I think the same applies to Phillips.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

or Santamaria, is he any good?

I am not sure, but aren't they completely different midfielders? Thought Santamaria was more of s cultured cm in the Veretout mould, not an intercepting tackling menace. 

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am not sure, but aren't they completely different midfielders? Thought Santamaria was more of s cultured cm in the Veretout mould, not an intercepting tackling menace. 

Believe he is predominantly a DM 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/236558/Show/Baptiste-Santamaría

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/07/06/do-report-shares-how-baptiste-santamaria-feels-about-aston-villa/

And Baptiste Santamaria, the latest player to have emerged as a potential target for Villa, is not one who is willing to shirk any of his responsibilities in the centre of the park. The Angers enforcer is famed in France for his remarkable work-rate and ball-winning capabilities - and the stats show why.

He averaged over three tackles per game in Ligue 1 across 2018/19 and ran more kilometres (442) than any other player in Angers’ squad, earning the nickname ‘4x4’ for his ability to cover the ground with ease. Even John McGinn, Villa's all-action fans' favourite wins the ball back far less frequently on average (2.1 tackles per game).

Santamaria also produces more interceptions (1.6 compared to 1.5) and even boasts a better pass completion rate (81 per cent compared to 78 per cent).

• Like 1

With them selling Jansson and the winger to spurs, that's it for this move I think. Got funds in for players they feel they can replace. They won't be able to replace this fella in the championship and they know it.

15 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Phillips would be an outstanding signing - even at 25 to 30m.

There is a reason why Bielsa - probably the most respected manager of his entire generation - is fighting tooth and nail to keep him.

A midfield of Phillips, McGinn and Jack would not need to be touched for the next three to four years. 

I've seen even United fans saying that we'd have one of the better midfields in the league if we signed Phillips.

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I've seen even United fans saying that we'd have one of the better midfields in the league if we signed Phillips.

Leeds fans though, put a penis in a Leeds shirt and they'd queue to suck it off.

• Haha 1

Â