Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

I think there’s positives to be taken whatever happens.

He’s not suddenly a crap player, just because Leeds are reportedly offering him a new deal. So he’d still be a good addition, if it happens. 

But, we would also be paying an astronomical fee for a player who has had one standout season in the Championship.

Personally, I feel that we can find another defensive midfielder that is just as good, if not better, for the prices that have been mentioned. ...And I say that with no knowledge of players whatsoever :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

So Smith is wrong on this one?

Whilst, in regard to transfers, I trust Smith and his team more than myself, let alone other VTers, there’s no concrete evidence to prove Villa are even interested in signing this player.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, brommy said:

Whilst, in regard to transfers, I trust Smith and his team more than myself, let alone other VTers, there’s no concrete evidence to prove Villa are even interested in signing this player.

In before the lock😉

5 hours ago, brommy said:

Strictly true, but feels pretty unlikely given the hype.

I dont understand why people are so against this, there is no smoke without fire and the fact that Leeds are offering him a new deal tells you their is substance to this and the fact they are is how much they rate him. I’d love it if we got him, he’s young, hungry and English, imagine him and Jack having stand out seasons and breaking into the England team. As someone else said he would be in our team for years, I really want to us to sign him, I’d be more happy with this signing that Tyrone Mings.

28 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I dont understand why people are so against this, there is no smoke without fire and the fact that Leeds are offering him a new deal tells you their is substance to this and the fact they are is how much they rate him. I’d love it if we got him, he’s young, hungry and English, imagine him and Jack having stand out seasons and breaking into the England team. As someone else said he would be in our team for years, I really want to us to sign him, I’d be more happy with this signing that Tyrone Mings.

People would prefer imaginary players or players they've never seen. They seem to have forgotten the last time we were in the prem and signed some quality players from abroad, all of whom took time to settle, all in a season we were relegated. There's a lot of appeal in signing Phillips for me, not least the fact that he should take less time to settle, is young and looks really high quality.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

So Smith is wrong on this one?

Assuming we do want him, I'm not saying he's a bad player, he strikes me as a pretty good player with potential who is not worth the fees quotes. Some are calling him a 'fantastic player' and that for me a is a total nonsense.

9 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I have a different take on Delph.He was signed for 8 million but was injured for first couple of years and I think he didn’t want to leave for nothing.So by signing contract then leaving he felt he was giving us something back.He could have easily have left in the summer on a free.

Yeh the PR stunt was by the club.  They probably always knew he would leave but not only did they get 8 million out of it. They also made him look the bad guy. 

He really shot himself in the foot by saying he was staying though. 

8 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Phillips would be an outstanding signing - even at 25 to 30m.

There is a reason why Bielsa - probably the most respected manager of his entire generation - is fighting tooth and nail to keep him.

A midfield of Phillips, McGinn and Jack would not need to be touched for the next three to four years. 

Not sure if this nugget of hyperbole is serious???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So he is reportedly on £5k pw and new contract offer is for £25k I would hazard a guess we would be offering somewhere between £40-£50k pw if he signs so if we are still interested it be interesting to see how loyal he is when his wages could go up by x10.... 

Â