Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

Just wanted to mention the absolute state of Phil Neville wearing his Gareth Southgate outfit.

Also agree that the goalkeeping spoils an otherwise decent spectacle. Plenty of outfield players who have really decent touch and skills, but the keepers are uniformly embarrassing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Are many more goals scored in womens football than mens? It doesn't seem that way, from watching this tournament, so I'm not sure any changes are really required.

Making the goals smaller has a few potential effects. Fewer goals, making it more dull to watch, and also adds extra effort/cost to clubs that have womens teams, making it just that little bit less appealing to host womens games. I think it'd be counter-productive, personally.

I think it's also worth pointing out that the goals haven't changed size since records began. They've been their current size since at least 1877.  Interestingly, the average height of a British man in the late 1800s was 5'5". The average British woman today is 5'3". You could argue men are better at jumping, admittedly, but I reckon they'll cope alright. 

Well Emma Hayes have recently stated that she would be fully behind smaller goals, it's something that is being discussed.

I think the reason why people say female keepers seem so terrible is largely because of this. Most keepers simply doesn't got the size which is required, it's not their fault.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well Emma Hayes have recently stated that she would be fully behind smaller goals, it's something that is being discussed.

I think the reason why people say female keepers seem so terrible is largely because of this. Most keepers simply doesn't got the size which is required, it's not their fault.

I don't think the size of the goals is the issue with goalkeepers. Every keeper I've seen at this tournament is simply atrocious when it comes to crosses. 

• Like 3

I watched the England vs Scotland match yesterday and thought it was ok as both teams actually showed a bit of desire to push forward at all times.

having just watched the men’s third place playoff vs Switzerland, where most players coasted through the match, it made for a refreshing change. 

This was the first time I have watched a full woman's match since the last world cup - I have always been the guy that has never been impressed by any aspect of the women's game. I have always thought the quality was poor, abysmal in fact for international caliber players.

I must say though, for the first time I was impressed yesterday. Maybe it is just me and my limited viewing but I would say that even though it's just been a few years there is a noticeable improvement to me. This may be damned with faint praise but one touch football that was actually decent - players passing the ball between each other first time, at pace and with intent without every 2nd pass not being spooned off in any direction. Players receiving the ball and getting it out of their feet in anticipation of the next pass.

England's No.7 really impressed me, again, one touch, laying the ball off and immediately spinning off her marker and getting in behind. Committing people with actual skill and ability, body faints,  and not just taking a touch of 30 yards and running.

I may sound like a complete arse and praising them for basics, and in highlighting how impressed I was with the above actually putting them down, but based on what I have seen before this was actually impressive...because even 4 years ago women's football was absolute shite.

Edited by rodders0223

I think it's down to jumping reach and surprisingly agility.

Lots of female keepers look stocky and cumbersome, like an elderly Shay Given.

Must be something with the training but cant fathom how it could be in this day and age. It's not like women in other sports cant jump or be agile.

I remember when Nadine Angerer still played for Germany, she was miles ahead of any other keeper. She still the best female keeper I've seen, although I don't watch much women football these days so I'm sure there are others now.

Nobody wants to mention the gigantic elephant in the room because of push this is getting and women trying to become more prominent in the game, but let's call a spade a spade here, it's pretty awful. Quality of football is brutal. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I watched the England vs Scotland match yesterday and thought it was ok as both teams actually showed a bit of desire to push forward at all times.

having just watched the men’s third place playoff vs Switzerland, where most players coasted through the match, it made for a refreshing change. 

Well it is the world cup! You'd expect some desire. 

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Nobody wants to mention the gigantic elephant in the room because of push this is getting and women trying to become more prominent in the game, but let's call a spade a spade here, it's pretty awful. Quality of football is brutal. 

It's not as good, but same can be said about Tennis, Basketball etc why do women football get compared so much to the men's game than in any other sport?

• Like 1

I think in the states they do get a lot of not particularly nice comparisons to the men's game

Did see some journos pointing to just over 6m watching the women yesterday compared to over 1m watching the men and some bollocks about it meaning something about the increasing popularity of the women's game, for me it actually spoke volumes about sky showing england games 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's not as good, but same can be said about Tennis, Basketball etc why do women football get compared so much to the men's game than in any other sport?

Don't get compared by whom? Most women's sports are nowhere near as good simply because men are more athletic. I compare them by watching men's sports, it's simply a better show for a neutral. 

Can anyone (without googling!) Name women's heavyweight boxing title holder? Not many can, because they are not as quick/strong/athletic/agile.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Don't get compared by whom? Most women's sports are nowhere near as good simply because men are more athletic. I compare them by watching men's sports, it's simply a better show for a neutral. 

Can anyone (without googling!) Name women's heavyweight boxing title holder? Not many can, because they are not as quick/strong/athletic/agile.

Well there’s that reason and there’s also the reason that there’s little to no coverage of women’s sports in mainstream media and on most television channels. Admittedly it is getting better but how can you expect people to have heard of people who are rarely reported on? 

I’ve enjoyed the games I’ve seen so far of this World Cup. Also, interesting to note given the complaints made about standards of goalkeeping being farcical that there was 1 goal in the two games today. Also, Scotland’s keeper had a great game against England yesterday. 

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

Well there’s that reason and there’s also the reason that there’s little to no coverage of women’s sports in mainstream media and on most television channels. Admittedly it is getting better but how can you expect people to have heard of people who are rarely reported on? 

I’ve enjoyed the games I’ve seen so far of this World Cup. Also, interesting to note given the complaints made about standards of goalkeeping being farcical that there was 1 goal in the two games today. Also, Scotland’s keeper had a great game against England yesterday. 

I think that's what the question boils down to. Is there no interest because there is no coverage? Or is there no coverage because there is no interest? 

6th tier of men's professional football gets no media coverage. Personally, I think that's because it's not as good as the Premier League. I also think it's better than some of Women's football, but that has far more coverage.

So it's very difficult to decide what was first, the chicken or the egg.

• Like 2

I've watched a few women's games this year, and while I struggle with the lack of pace, I absolutely love the fact that there's very little diving and feigning injury*

* disclaimer - have not watched a South American team

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think that's what the question boils down to. Is there no interest because there is no coverage? Or is there no coverage because there is no interest? 

6th tier of men's professional football gets no media coverage. Personally, I think that's because it's not as good as the Premier League. I also think it's better than some of Women's football, but that has far more coverage.

So it's very difficult to decide what was first, the chicken or the egg.

TV will always cover what has interest, so the fact there's a lack of coverage is down to lack of interest. 

There's a reason Villa, Leeds, Newcastle always had the most TV games in the Championship, and why United and Liverpool do in the Prem. To an extent it's down to quality, but even when United are crap they're on TV all the time, because there's a mass of people who want to watch them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

TV will always cover what has interest, so the fact there's a lack of coverage is down to lack of interest. 

There's a reason Villa, Leeds, Newcastle always had the most TV games in the Championship, and why United and Liverpool do in the Prem. To an extent it's down to quality, but even when United are crap they're on TV all the time, because there's a mass of people who want to watch them. 

While normally I'd agree, not in this case. It's not shown on ITV or Channel 4 or Sky. It's the BBC. A public station that does not have to worry about the ratings and commercials to the extent the other stations do. 

They can show elephant racing tomorrow and the bottom line will stay the same.

Â