Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

They allow average sized women to go in goal. Imagine how ridiculous that would get if that was done in the mens game. Of course, the more serious nations no longer do this.

I'm not sure this is all down to size tbh. A lot of them are like 5'9ish which is only a few inches shorter than what used to be standard for a lot of goalkeepers in the men's game.

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

They allow average sized women to go in goal. Imagine how ridiculous that would get if that was done in the mens game. Of course, the more serious nations no longer do this.

Shay Given, Iker Casillas had a 15 year career in goal they were average mens height

1.75 is average womens so not sure your argument

• Like 1

Just had a quick look through the squads and there are a fair few teams who have goalkeepers that are 5'10+ - so really not that much difference in size compared to a lot of male goalkeepers.

1 hour ago, 5-1 said:

The women's game has grown massively in the last few years and with it, the quality is improving. I do admit, the goalkeeping has always been the weakest aspect of the game, but you can't knock some of the outfield play. Over time, this will only improve further but it has to be given the chance to grow, rather than have men just moan women should get back in the kitchen (i have to hope these men don't have daughters) 

Will it ever be on par with the men's game? Most likely not, but Serena Williams would get likely beaten by a man barely in the top 100 rankings. That doesn't mean Serena is not still great to watch or that she is inferior to her male counterparts. 

In regards to pay, of course they don't bring in the revenue to earn anywhere near to the men, but in defence of the USA women's team, they do actually win World Cup's and the Olympic's so are a lot more successful than the men. The women's game is actually bigger than the men's over there so i can understand why they complain about that based on both points. 

While people knock the quality of football played, at least you are watching people play for the love of the game rather than the money. The lack of diving and rolling around like they've been shot if they get tackled is also refreshing. 

I write this as a woman (we do exist on football forums). 

Errrr.... MLS?

Soccer had classically been more popular and as such was the Womens game, but that is no longer the case. Since NBC have taken over from prem league coverage from FOX and boosted by the 2006/10 WC performance, there has been a mass explosion in interest in the Mens game and with NFL "football" leading straight to CTE, this will only increase. In female sports, I think soccer will always get top billing as there is no NFL/MLB to compete with and the WNBA is a fairly young organization too. It's a real shame with the taking off of proper professional leagues/champs league in Europe in recent years that the US can't muster the money to support a strong female league... huge missed opportunity.

This world cup suffers like many female sports from a lack of depth, mostly due to relative youth of female sports and hence lower relative participation (in fairness, some awful durge gets into the champs league group stages or mens world cup groups). Once we get into the knockout, these games will be proper as there are serious football teams playing.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Shay Given, Iker Casillas had a 15 year career in goal they were average mens height

The average man is 6'1"... errr ok. 

They put relatively small women in goal. GKs need to be over 6' tall, with very rare exceptions. This is a problem for the female game as 6' lies far from the average, less so for men.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

The average man is 6'1"... errr ok. 

They put relatively small women in goal. GKs need to be over 6' tall, with very rare exceptions. This is a problem for the female game as 6' lies far from the average, less so for men.

The difference between 5'11 and 6'0 is the same as the difference between 6'0 and 6'1. The height difference (which isn't even THAT big for goalkeepers) doesn't account for the horrendous goalkeeping, which is disproportionately bad when compared to most other areas of the women's game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Shay given is 6'2.

Iker Cassilas is 6'

The woman in goal just now is 5'4

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

The difference between 5'11 and 6'0 is the same as the difference between 6'0 and 6'1. The height difference (which isn't even THAT big for goalkeepers) doesn't account for the horrendous goalkeeping, which is disproportionately bad when compared to most other areas of the women's game.

The Thai GK is listed as 5'5" per my quick google. That's the kind of thing that you'd try desperately to avoid in a local league team. The teams with proper sized GKs generally have performances on par with the level of their team mates and don't particularly stand out.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think the quality of the goalkeeping is down to what I call "left back syndrome".

Because the number of women playing football isn't that great, the more athletic, fast and agile young girls will most likely play outfield. Much like in school where the best sports people simply do not sit in goal - they will be out there banging goals in. The pool of girls who are good at football will only give a few really solid athletes who want to be goalkeepers.

It's the same with left backs in men's football. It's a very niche skill to have a good left foot (often associated with tricky wingers) and want to be a defender. Usually people who are put in defence at the young age are not as quick as strikers or as good on the ball as CMs. Hence there is few left backs that are very good.

Another factor is that keepers are crazy. They are single minded, quirky, shouty and most often pissed off at their team mates which makes them typical "alpha males". This let's them be the dominant force on the pitch. In comparison, less women posses the "madness" personality trait that is vital to being a good keeper.

38 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

It isn't just height that is the issue, With height comes stature & presence. 

This is a 5'3 woman stood next to a 6'3 man, Which one do you think would be easier to put that ball past when you have a 24ft x 8ft rectangle to aim at

WSPzx91.jpg

The Man. I cant imagine I'd ever do anything against Isla Fisher's wishes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It looks like expanding the number of teams in the tournament was a little premature.  That's an embarrassment at a World Cup if it's to be taken seriously.  You feel terrible for the Thai women and sympathize a little with the US women who either have to take their foot off the brake, which nobody should be asked to do at a major tournament, or look bad for running up the score.

• Like 1

You play to score goals, that's the ultimate pursuit, especially in tournaments. Fans pay money to see goals. Players play for glory and money and scoring goals helps in that effort. I think once the game was well out of range for Thailand the celebrations were mostly muted. Rapinoe's antics after goal 9 were pretty gross though. Morgan scored a really nice goal.

Can't say i'm really that interested in this though!

On 09/06/2019 at 21:15, Davkaus said:

Are many more goals scored in womens football than mens? It doesn't seem that way, from watching this tournament

USA 13-0 Thailand

And people say that women football doesn't engages people.

Ex Canadian star Kaylyn Kyle has received tons of death threats after daring to claim it was a tad disrespectful of the US players to celebrate like they won the WC each time after scoring their 8,9,10,11,12 and 13th goal against Thailand.

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Out of interest, do you know why women’s football is so popular in the US? I’d hazard a guess it’s more popular than the men’s game. Is it just because the National are successful or are there other reasons?

It’s not more popular than the men’s game, but it’s the number 1 women’s sport in the country, where as it’s only 4-6th in the men’s side.  Women’s National team matches have 1/5th the viewers as the Men’s team does.

Traditionally, soccer is seen as a sport for little kids and high school girls, where as men are supposed to play more “manly” sports like American football, basketball, baseball, and hockey. Ask any American sports fan over 40 what they think of soccer and they’ll laugh at you. You’ll probably hear the phrases “cheaters”, “floppers”, “foot-fairies”, and even “women’s sport”.  The millennials and Gen Z kids growing up now don’t have the same prejudices and have grown up watching a lot of European footy and World Cup games, but it still has that stigma in this country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

It’s not more popular than the men’s game, but it’s the number 1 women’s sport in the country, where as it’s only 4-6th in the men’s side.  Women’s National team matches have 1/5th the viewers as the Men’s team does.

Traditionally, soccer is seen as a sport for little kids and high school girls, where as men are supposed to play more “manly” sports like American football, basketball, baseball, and hockey. Ask any American sports fan over 40 what they think of soccer and they’ll laugh at you. You’ll probably hear the phrases “cheaters”, “floppers”, “foot-fairies”, and even “women’s sport”.  The millennials and Gen Z kids growing up now don’t have the same prejudices and have grown up watching a lot of European footy and World Cup games, but it still has that stigma in this country.

Genuine question but is there even a counterpart women’s game in the US for NFL, NHL, NBA etc?

If not, there’s your answer as to why women’s football is so popular in comparison.

Â