Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

While normally I'd agree, not in this case. It's not shown on ITV or Channel 4 or Sky. It's the BBC. A public station that does not have to worry about the ratings and commercials to the extent the other stations do. 

They can show elephant racing tomorrow and the bottom line will stay the same.

Whilst true to some extent the BBC do have to justify what the licence fee is being spent on. I believe that making this tournament accessible to as many people as possible is a good use of licence payers money to be fair.

I know there's always going to be a load of nay-sayers who want nothing to do with women's football but any attempt to increase interest can only be a good thing for me.

Finishing has been poor in the games I have watched so far. The Dutch look decent but had to wait until well into injury time to get their goal. 

Edited by PaulC

On 09/06/2019 at 05:11, KMitch said:

Curious to know if anyone in Europe cares about this at all or even knows it's currently in progress.  Every Women's WC is massively overhyped by the media here in the USA and all the sports channels try to push it like it's "as big as" the Men's competition.  Viewership numbers are hilariously bad, though, usually less than 1/5th that of the Men's national team.

Out of interest, do you know why women’s football is so popular in the US? I’d hazard a guess it’s more popular than the men’s game. Is it just because the National are successful or are there other reasons?

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Out of interest, do you know why women’s football is so popular in the US? I’d hazard a guess it’s more popular than the men’s game. Is it just because the National are successful or are there other reasons?

I think it's viewed as a more female sport in the USA, if that makes sense.

Traditionally males grow up playing Football (Gridiron), basketball or baseball. Maybe Hockey in some parts. 

Whereas soccer is much higher up on the list for women to play.

Dunno if that makes sense. 

Basically USA could be the best at pretty much anything. If soccer was their number 1 sport they'd probably be the best in the world. But, for men at least, it's way way down the list. All the athletes get picked off by the more popular sports.

But for women, there aren't many other sports that take priority, so a lot of the good female athletes end up playing soccer.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I think it's viewed as a more female sport in the USA, if that makes sense.

Traditionally males grow up playing Football (Gridiron), basketball or baseball. Maybe Hockey in some parts. 

Whereas soccer is much higher up on the list for women to play.

Dunno if that makes sense. 

Basically USA could be the best at pretty much anything. If soccer was their number 1 sport they'd probably be the best in the world. But, for men at least, it's way way down the list. All the athletes get picked off by the more popular sports.

But for women, there aren't many other sports that take priority, so a lot of the good female athletes end up playing soccer.

Yeah makes sense, you’d think with the Latino/Irish contingent in a lot of cities though that the men’s game would be huge. Like you say other sports are bigger. Just strange how women decided on football to play, whilst here in the UK it’s taken a long time for the sport to grow

The reason diving doesn't go away is cause it doesn't get punished other than a yellow card and the reward if you succeed with it is massive.

I wish Fifa would just punish it hard, like giving the player a 10 game ban aftermath and diving would obviously disappear pretty quickly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 5-1 said:

While people knock the quality of football played, at least you are watching people play for the love of the game rather than the money. The lack of diving and rolling around like they've been shot if they get tackled is also refreshing. 

I write this as a woman (we do exist on football forums).

Guess all the England squad will be turning down their 25 grand + bonus then?

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

Guess all the England squad will be turning down their 25 grand + bonus then?

25 grand bonus for winning is quite pathetic though. Harry Kane gets that to go to training 

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

it isn't a bonus for winning, They all have central contracts for playing for england

Still 25000 still bad, just a regular salary compared other workers

The standard of football is pretty crap in general. The womens game would benefit from having smaller pitches & possibly smaller goals. The poor standard doesn't mean that some of the games will not be entertaining to watch though. Some of the best games i have ever seen have been non-league matches where the standard arguably isn't that much better and there are plenty of absolutely crap premier league/la liga etc games to balance things the other way. If people like it & want to watch it fine but the amount of media coverage it gets is frankly rediculous. You can get adult tickets for games upto the final for not much more than a pint (9 euros, The final itself is only 23 euros) and they haven't even sold 60% of the available tickets and idiots like Hope Solo & The australian FA are screaming discrimination because the prize money for the 24 team tournament (24 million) watched by a few million people isn't the same 300 million + that the 32 team mens world cup watched by billions gets.

Fill the stadiums with people who aren't basically getting in for free, generate some advertising & sponsorship and the money will come. The average attendance in the UK WSL is barely 1000 and tickets are generally not much more than a tenner for a family of 4, No idea how they are even trying to justify being full time based on that, let alone wanting to get paid anywhere near the same as men but plenty of them are getting 20-30k+ per year + extras which is more than a lot of non league players playing in front of bigger crowds will be getting

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Serious question, and I mean this in a non-snarky way - why is the goalkeeping so dreadful?

They allow average sized women to go in goal. Imagine how ridiculous that would get if that was done in the mens game. Of course, the more serious nations no longer do this.

Â