Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Genuine question but is there even a counterpart women’s game in the US for NFL, NHL, NBA etc?

If not, there’s your answer as to why women’s football is so popular in comparison.

Well there is the WNBA

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Genuine question but is there even a counterpart women’s game in the US for NFL, NHL, NBA etc?

If not, there’s your answer as to why women’s football is so popular in comparison.

I thought that WNBA is a big thing?

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

USA 13-0 Thailand

That was an absurd game, I don't think it really counters my argument though. That wasn't a normal game, it was the best side in the world vs some amateurs, I'm not convinced the size of the goal was the issue.

22 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I thought that WNBA is a big thing?

I honestly don't know and am not interested enough to bother researching.

I know the NFL have a womens match every year for cheerleaders, so if that's there level of promotion for womens sport I can see how something new would take off.

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That was an absurd game, I don't think it really counters my argument though. That wasn't a normal game, it was the best side in the world vs some amateurs, I'm not convinced the size of the goal was the issue.

I know mate, was just a friendly dig ;) 

I agree. The size of the goal argument is basically nonsense. And if it does make a difference then it doesn't matter. Women play the same sport as men with different sized equipment in loads of other sports. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.

Even if more goals go in as a result, isn't that a good thing? Don't we all want more goals in football?

I'd rather watch England win the women's world cup final 5-4 than 1-0

• Like 1

I think the main issue that the drubbing last night highlighted was just how misguided it is to expand the tournament past the number of teams that can effectively compete at that level.

It's not out of the question we'll see more scorelines like that in the men's tournament when the WC is expanded to 48 teams in '26. I can't wait to see Germany vs Syria. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

or in the case of tennis, we just want to do less work.

This is a mans world, apparently.

Absolute BS.

Female Tennis players: "We get similar viewing numbers, why are we played less"

Blokes in charge: "You play fewer sets"

FTP: "Let us play the same number of sets then"

BIC: "....No".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Absolute BS.

Female Tennis players: "We get similar viewing numbers, why are we played less"

Blokes in charge: "You play fewer sets"

FTP: "Let us play the same number of sets then"

BIC: "....No".

Agreed, again.

The argument in sport is viewing figures, because that generally is how money is generated in Sport.

I don't think female footballers are arguing for equal pay. But they're probably argued for increased pay, which may be a valid argument.

Tennis is different because the viewing figures aren't very different, but the pay is.

Fwiw I don't see why players (from football nations anyway) should need monetary compensation to play for their national side.

Fair enough women players want the same compensation from the FA as the men get. Seem fair enough.

Just don't think there should be any compensation.

That's for the Swedish side, different strokes for different countries.

For lesser countries I see a point in players getting payed as they might not be professional players.

Pretty sure women footballers just want same respect as male footballers. Ireland female players have said they would share tracksuits and change in airport toilets, be chaos if men had to do that

55 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the main issue that the drubbing last night highlighted was just how misguided it is to expand the tournament past the number of teams that can effectively compete at that level.

It's not out of the question we'll see more scorelines like that in the men's tournament when the WC is expanded to 48 teams in '26. I can't wait to see Germany vs Syria. 

Are the viewing figures similar?  

Excluding Grand Slams, 395million viewers watched WTA Premier events and finals on TV and digital, compared to 973m for ATP events.

Yes Serena has attracted higher viewers particularly the USA Open finals. But overall the mens viewing figures are significantly higher. 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Just look at the u20's world cup last week. Norway 12 - 0 Honduras. Alfe inge halands son even managed to score a hat-trick of hat-tricks (9 goals) in the game

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Just look at the u20's world cup last week. Norway 12 - 0 Honduras. Alfe inge halands son even managed to score a hat-trick of hat-tricks (9 goals) in the game

U think the US vs Thailand will be under investigation for match fixing as well?

Guess it could happen.

1 hour ago, sne said:

U think the US vs Thailand will be under investigation for match fixing as well?

Guess it could happen.

Think Thailand were just a bunch of tiny women that are shit at football to be honest. Even if they had 13 players on the pitch i doubt the result would have been much different

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

Think Thailand were just a bunch of tiny women that are shit at football to be honest. Even if they had 13 players on the pitch i doubt the result would have been much different

Me too.

The Honduras game thou is very suspicious. No way are they that bad.

But I doubt they'll be able to prove anything.

Anyone know if Richard Dunne has been helping out the South Korean team ahead of the WC?

Absolutely cracking own goal by one of their defenders against Nigeria.

2nd Nigerian goal was really nice.

Edited by sne

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Women - we demand to be paid the same as men!

Also women - but we want to play on smaller pitches, or with smaller apparatus or in the case of tennis, we just want to do less work.

This is a mans world, apparently.

Ultimately it's not about size of pitches or even ability, women are shit at football because they are vastly inferior athletes to men. It's all about demand, if the women's game had the same level of interest and thus reach then they should get paid 'the same'. Women's football might well get close in time if it it does then absolutely great, but until they then, their pay is a reflection of the interest their sport has. There's nothing discriminatory about the pay they receive.

• Like 1

Â