Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Tennis is different because the viewing figures aren't very different, but the pay is.

In the majors, men and women get the same prize money. Not sure about the other tournaments 

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

In the majors, men and women get the same prize money. Not sure about the other tournaments 

Yeah but I don't think that was the case until recently was it?

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but I don't think that was the case until recently was it?

I think the final two made it equal about 10 years ago. The US has been equal since the 70's

• Like 1

Difference in quality in the France vs Norway game compared to the little I've seen from previous games is massive.

Very nice!

Great football by France and then a comedy own goal from nowhere.

Edited by sne

I've followed womens football a while now. A friends daughter plays to a good level, just short of professional. Anyway my take is this. There should be a winner from us the US and France. Now 5 years ago the favourites would have certainly been the US. but others have caught up. US have had there personnel problems recently rows in the team in fighting etc. Don't get me wrong they are a very good team, but not as dominant a short while ago. I think the thing is most players play over there, and the problem is the stronger league is here. Now France,  in Lyon they have  dominant in European football. Champions league winners for the last few years. and 6 of them are in the France squad. But their best players aren't French. Their best player is English. They also have a reputation as bottlers. Knocked out in the quarters in the last 3 or 4 tournaments. 

As for England we have a good squad. Our best player is Lucy Bronze. Hasn't been out of the reckoning for european footballer of the year for ages. She is also the best player in the Lyon team. Think Maldini , so much better than anyone else in her position.We also have Steph Houghton captain really good leader and player. Beth Mead is just breaking through, plays for arsenal really good player. The other stars are Nikita Paris the closest to Raheem Sterling good enough to be bought by Lyon this year. The Other one to watch is Ellen White played for SHA( one of the top teams in England , would you believe it.) Just moved though. I think what stands us in good stead is we have the strongest league. Unlike Lyon, 

4th place should be Japan, however they haven't been playing well,

We recently beat Japan and the US in the shebelieves cup held in the US a short while ago.

Will home advantage win it, will the US sort themselves out or will we shine who knows?

• Like 2

I've been watching the cricket world cup, and it's really frustrating to hear the commentators constantly call it the "mens" world cup. It's an obvious instruction from above that they must refer to it as this as they are trying to push the womens game 

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I struggle to understand how Thailand qualified for a freaking World Cup when they're this bad.

It's ok to lose 4 or 5-0 against the best team, it happens but 13-0? That's just laughable.

I remember a highly paid Premier League team losing 8-0 with a full sized international goalkeeper

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Germany (men’s) won 8-0 last night I think, didn’t they also put 10 past Saudi Arabia a couple of world cups back? I remember Klose scored 5 or 6 didnt he?

So it happens in both forms to be fair.

They beat Saudi Arabia in the 2002 World Cup 8-0 with Klose scoring a hat-trick. In my mind I thought he got 5 or so goals also.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Could have sworn someone hit double figures......was it North Korea?

Apparently this is the one time it has happened at a Men's finals

Hungary – El Salvador: 10-1 (Men's World Cup 1982)

The biggest ever loss in a men's World Cup competition was by Salvador at the hands of Hungary in the 80s.

The second game to be played in Group 3, the record-breaking match took place at Nuevo Estadio in Elche, Spain, on June 15.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/12/what-are-biggest-defeats-in-world-cup-history-after-us-thrash-thailand-13-0

11 hours ago, Junxs said:

I've been watching the cricket world cup, and it's really frustrating to hear the commentators constantly call it the "mens" world cup. It's an obvious instruction from above that they must refer to it as this as they are trying to push the womens game 

Yeah this stuff annoys me.

I get doing it out of context. But if you're commentating or punditing on the men's world cup and you're talking about the world cup., then it's **** obvious what world cup you're talking about.

• Like 2

Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in a WC qualifying match. That’s a goal every 3 minutes...

Shortly after Australia got fed up with the lack of competition in the Oceana Confederation and switched to the Asia Confederation. 

Edited by LondonLax

There’s a huge difference betweeen the USA league and the Thailand league. You can’t expect them to be able to compete. It would be like Man City playing hednesford. 

Overall been inpressed with the football. Shocking own goal by the french girl. Wonder goal by the Nigerian girl earlier in the day. Who says there’s no pace in the women’s game

Â