Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

On 12/06/2019 at 21:22, colhint said:

I've followed womens football a while now. A friends daughter plays to a good level, just short of professional. Anyway my take is this. There should be a winner from us the US and France. Now 5 years ago the favourites would have certainly been the US. but others have caught up. US have had there personnel problems recently rows in the team in fighting etc. Don't get me wrong they are a very good team, but not as dominant a short while ago. I think the thing is most players play over there, and the problem is the stronger league is here. Now France,  in Lyon they have  dominant in European football. Champions league winners for the last few years. and 6 of them are in the France squad. But their best players aren't French. Their best player is English. They also have a reputation as bottlers. Knocked out in the quarters in the last 3 or 4 tournaments. 

As for England we have a good squad. Our best player is Lucy Bronze. Hasn't been out of the reckoning for european footballer of the year for ages. She is also the best player in the Lyon team. Think Maldini , so much better than anyone else in her position.We also have Steph Houghton captain really good leader and player. Beth Mead is just breaking through, plays for arsenal really good player. The other stars are Nikita Paris the closest to Raheem Sterling good enough to be bought by Lyon this year. The Other one to watch is Ellen White played for SHA( one of the top teams in England , would you believe it.) Just moved though. I think what stands us in good stead is we have the strongest league. Unlike Lyon, 

4th place should be Japan, however they haven't been playing well,

We recently beat Japan and the US in the shebelieves cup held in the US a short while ago.

Will home advantage win it, will the US sort themselves out or will we shine who knows?

Wasn't too far out was I?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, av1 said:

Really enjoyed that, some really good football. 

Lucy Bronze is an outstanding player. 

Me too. Yes we let them have s few chances but the result was never in doubt. We have some outstanding players. We score goals, we can out score otter countries. Lucy bronze is great 

• Like 1

Also I think the USA have shot thrkselves in the foot a bit by having a pop at their president. I know Rapinoe doesn’t like trump but big mistake to say she wouldn’t go to the White House if they won it. Think France will beat them

3 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

Indeed, though I heard Philippe Auclair quote the current laws on a podcast (though I've not looked into them so can't say whether what he said was true edit - I've found a link here on a referee's association website with next year's laws) and there's provision to not award a penalty if the ball hits a player's arm directly off another body part or even another "close player" - as long as the handball doesn't result in a goal/goal scoring opportunity.

I think the following "explanation notes" somewhat make a mockery of what we've seen since the CL final:

Reveal hidden contents

Handball - Law 12

Changes
  • Deliberate handball remains an offence
  • The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
    • The ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
    • A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm•and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

• The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
    • If a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)
    • If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball

Explanation
Greater clarity is needed for handball, especially on those occasions when ‘non- d•eliberate’ handball is an offence. The re-wording follows a number of principles:
  • Football does not accept a goal being scored by a hand/arm (even if accidental)
  • Football expects a player to be penalised for handball if they gain possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm and gain a major advantage e.g. score or create a goal-scoring opportunity
  • It is natural for a player to put their arm between their body and the ground for support when falling.
  • Having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a ‘natural’ position and a player is ‘taking a risk’ by having the hand/arm in that position, including whensliding
  • If the ball comes off the player’s body, or off another player (of either team) who is•close by, onto the hands/arms it is often impossible to avoid contact with the ball
  • When the GK clearly kicks or tries to kick the ball into play, this shows no intention to handle the ball so, if the ‘clearance’ attempt is unsuccessful, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball without committing an offence

Directly from FIFA's Laws of the Game 2018-2019:

1. Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)

Handling the ball

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm. The following must be considered:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. Inside their penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick or any related sanction but can be guilty of handling offences that incur an indirect free kick.

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Also I think the USA have shot thrkselves in the foot a bit by having a pop at their president. I know Rapinoe doesn’t like trump but big mistake to say she wouldn’t go to the White House if they won it. Think France will beat them

France will beat them because she doesn’t like Trump?

Edited by a m ole
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

No I think they will anyway but I don’t think it helps morale 

well I am sure the women will all back the captain and if anything makes morale better

Edited by Zatman

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder if Neville has to knock politely on the changing room door before he goes in to celebrate with the players? 

He can only go in for a few minutes. A big part of the reason he's available at half time for comments and sometimes does post match discussions with the team on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That American dive is probably the most blatant dive I've ever seen. Which if saying something as someone who watched Ashley Young every week for a few years.

And to do it in a world with VAR? so stupid. 

Big bans are needed. 

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

And to do it in a world with VAR? so stupid. 

Big bans are needed. 

Indeed.

I'm really not sure how that wasn't carded. And even if you charitably say the angle meant the ref couldn't be sure, surely VAR should be flagging that the ref needs to act?

This match in general seems to be rather a lot more bad faith than the other games in the tournament. It's a fair bit dirtier and there's a decent amount of gamesmanship going on.

5 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The US team are like the Garkos Gorgons, aren’t they?

Jesus that's a blast from the past... 

They're definitely the most nigglyingly dirty side I've seen so far.

Â