The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

So one more CB, a GK, DCM, RW and back up striker and its a perfect window! What are the chances of that? Surely we have the cash and wages with so many released, we are still  down on squad size. SO Cahill on a free seems like a no brainer. I would go for Heaton for what £5-8m? £20m for a DCM, £20 for a RW and £15 for a back up forward. That's another £63m plus wages on top of the £60m already speant. £120m summer!? Nuts whats happened since we have been away!

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Would you take Cahill? 

Depends Ruge.

If it gets the the last week of the window and we are still in need of a CB with some quality and experience then it will be hard to oppose Cahill.

One year deal at around £80k-£100k a week wouldn't do any harm imo.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Like who? He is dreadful.

Thisbola & Lansbury.

One has been plying his trade in Scotland while the other has hamstrings made of candy floss.

I think some of the critical of Birkir is a bit daft really.

I hope he is the one from that Trio that is kept if one had to be.

He is also worth the most out of the 3 of them too and an Iceland international.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Thisbola & Lansbury.

One has been plying his trade in Scotland while the other has hamstrings made of candy floss.

I think some of the critical of Birkir is a bit daft really.

I hope he is the one from that Trio that is kept if one had to be.

He is also worth the most out of the 3 of them too and an Iceland international.

Tshibola yes agreed. BB is not better than Lansbury. Lansbury is a good footballer. Has his limitations yes but he's better than BB all day long.

17 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Tshibola yes agreed. BB is not better than Lansbury. Lansbury is a good footballer. Has his limitations yes but he's better than BB all day long.

If his Hamstrings were not an issue then it would be hard to argue against your case. BB wins it by a head of hair.. and 2 hamstrings imo.  :D

17 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

They're all junk. There's Irish internationals I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Birkir is about as good as Brett Holman was

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We need to strengthen our back five, which includes GK. Getting a DM in will also strengthen the back five unit. We need another attacking midfielder which can play on the right. I’d also like us to get another striker in. So that’s another five players I think we could do with . GK,CB, DM, WR, CF.

Steer 16 games 12 conceded(2 first game against Hull from memory where he was MotM for me) 6 clean sheets. The way people are underestimating him is criminal

This is the average team based of number of appearances in our last season in the prem

GK. Guzan. 

RB. Hutton. CB. Richards. CB. Lescott. LB. Cissokho

CM. Westwood. CM. Gueye. CM. Veretout

RW. Bacuna.  CF. Ayew. LW. Sinclair

Back up with Bunn, Okore, Clark, Amavi, Richardson, Sanchez, Gil, Grealish, Gabby, Kozak, Gestede

This is how I think we will currently look with obviously hopefully a few morning signings to come. 

GK. Steer. 

RB. Guilbert. CB. Chester. CB. Mings. LB. Targett

CM. McGinn. CM. Hourihane. CM. Grealish

RW. Jota.  CF. Wesley. LW. El Ghazi

Back up with Kalinic, Nyland, Elmohamady, Hause, Taylor, Green, BB, Lansbury, Tishbola, Hogan, Davis, Kodjia

I would say (even at this point with more to come in) we have a significant improvement in every position, bar perhaps Gueye (an area we are looking to upgrade anyway). But our back up is terrible! Bar Elmo and Hause and Koj, Davis and Green off the bench, I don't want any of those anywhere near the team. 

Edited by jimcohen

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Depends Ruge.

If it gets the the last week of the window and we are still in need of a CB with some quality and experience then it will be hard to oppose Cahill.

One year deal at around £80k-£100k a week wouldn't do any harm imo.

I’d take him for a one year rolling contract , but it would be wages like you’ve pointed out. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

This is the average team based of number of appearances in our last season in the prem

GK. Guzan. 

Back up with Bunn, Okore, Clark, Amavi, Richardson, Sanchez, Gil, Grealish, Gabby, Kozak, Gestede

This is how I think we will currently look with obviously hopefully a few morning signings to come. 

GK. Steer. 

Back up with Kalinic, Nyland, Elmohamady, Hause, Taylor, Green, BB, Lansbury, Tishbola, Hogan, Davis, Kodjia

I would say (even at this point with more to come in) we have a significant ant improvement in every position, bar perhaps Gueye (an area we are looking to upgrade anyway). But our back up is terrible! Bar Elmo and Hause and Koj, Davis and Green off the bench, I don't want any of those anywhere near the team. 

Phenomenally better. Elmo was hugely influential in our 10 game unbeaten streak and Hause looked so comfortable once he found his feet I'd be comfortable with him starting at CB. 

Edit: oh you said bar Elmo and Hause. Apologies. I agree with all you said

Edited by Kiwivillan

41 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Steer 16 games 12 conceded(2 first game against Hull from memory where he was MotM for me) 6 clean sheets. The way people are underestimating him is criminal

I like Steer and I have no problem using him, but whether we use him as number 1 or 2 is up for debate. We need two solid keepers and we only have one at the minute. I think Kalinic will get shipped out. Even then I wouldn’t mind seeing how he does pre season. If he can settle then we don’t need to fill that GK position.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Phenomenally better. Elmo was hugely influential in our 10 game unbeaten streak and Hause looked so comfortable once he found his feet I'd be comfortable with him starting at CB. 

Agreed, just after that the back up options are limited. I am mainly concerned about midfield right now. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I like Steer and I have no problem using him, but whether we use him as number 1 or 2 is up for debate. We need two solid keepers and we only have one at the minute. I think Kalinic will get shipped out. Even then I wouldn’t mind seeing how he does pre season. If he can settle then we don’t need to fill that GK position.

Agree we need a better 1st or 2nd keeper. Steer has done enough for either. Please no Heaton. He really declined last season if you watched Burnley games when he came back from injury

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Last I read he was off.

I agree though.

We need another solid keeper for Steer to compete with for that No.1 slot.

Nyland will be our 3rd choice.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I still do not understand why people have written off Kalinic. Going into the season with Kalinic and Steer battling for the spot is fine by me. We still have nyland as well, who I would loan out or sell (3 players for 1 spot might create frustrations)

33 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

GK. Guzan. 

GK. Steer. 

I would say (even at this point with more to come in) we have a significant ant improvement in every position, bar perhaps Gueye (an area we are looking to upgrade anyway). But our back up is terrible! Bar Elmo and Hause and Koj, Davis and Green off the bench, I don't want any of those anywhere near the team. 

Green and Davis will surely go out on loan?

Green was off the pace in the championship.

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Green and Davis will surely go out on loan?

Green was off the pace in the championship.

Yeah I hope they do as it means we have signed a bunch more players, but we cannot loan them now as it means we have only Hogan and Kodjia as back up forwards and no one as back up winger. Would you loan Green now? Who plays winger if Jota or ElGhazi are injured or off form?

3 minutes ago, AXD said:

I still do not understand why people have written off Kalinic. Going into the season with Kalinic and Steer battling for the spot is fine by me. We still have nyland as well, who I would loan out or sell (3 players for 1 spot might create frustrations)

Kalinic needs to play pre season then, or at least a fair chunk of it. 

1 minute ago, jimcohen said:

Yeah I hope they do as it means we have signed a bunch more players, but we cannot loan them now as it means we have only Hogan and Kodjia as back up forwards and no one as back up winger. Would you loan Green now? Who plays winger if Jota or ElGhazi are injured or off form?

That’s why we need another winger and striker . Send Davis and possibly Green out on loan .

Â