The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

- - - - - - El Ghazi - Wesley - Jota - - - - - -
- - - Grealish - Hourihane - McGinn - - -
- Targett - Mings - Chester - Guilbert - 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - Kalinic - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Would be my current XI, but I think we need to replace Kalinic, Chester, Hourihane and Jota in that team, with those 4 dropping to the bench. Would leave us very strong I feel, with some decent youth in reserves too 

55 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Would be my current XI, but I think we need to replace Kalinic, Chester, Hourihane and Jota in that team, with those 4 dropping to the bench. Would leave us very strong I feel, with some decent youth in reserves too 

Hause is better than "managing injury" Chester.

Steer is phenomenally better than Kalinic. Did you not watch any games last season?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skarroki said:

I take it this is made up of the folk that we currently have and not included speculation players?

If we could go into the season with:

*Heaton*                                                                                          Steer                           

Elmo        *Axel/Cahill*       Mings         Targett                Gulibert         Chester          Hause         Taylor      

*Phillips*                                                                             Birkir or Lansbury

*Trezeguet*          McGinn       *Nakamba*       El Ghazi        Jota                                 Hourihane                 Green                                                                                       

Grealish                                                                                    *Backup AMC*       

Wesley          *New ST*                                                                         Kodja

This would be a great team and if we can add some astute *signings* in these positions then we should have a good first season back IMO.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
Tactical reasons
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hause is better than "managing injury" Chester.

Steer is phenomenally better than Kalinic. Did you not watch any games last season?

Is that the Hause that couldn't get into the wolves team in the championship and barely started for us, over the Chester that yes I have watched on what, close to 100 times for villa in the last 3 seasons? Are we writing him off over comments made after the play offs because he's seemed fine and involved with the 1st team squad plans in pre season. 

Kalinic was highly rated before joining and only lost his place to Steer due to injury. I would definitely go with him ahead of Steer based on what I've seen of their ability. Steer did a great job for us but I don't think he's premier League standard and was out on loans or behind Bunn in the pecking order until 6 months ago under several managers and goalkeeping coaches. 

If we are going to go with Kalinic to fight Steer for number 1 I want to see him pre season. It would be great if it turns out he’s capable of giving it a go as it would save us money splashing out on a keeper. 

Happy with our defence now it seems we are getting the lad from Brentford. Got four decent CD with Mings being the stand out one. Bear in mind Hause can cover left back if need be too. Seems Targett is an attack minded player, so maybe we will see him pushed further up the field. I’d rather Hause cover left back instead of Taylor if Targett is not avaliable for left back. 

Midfield looks strong, but desperate for Phillips to cover Holding midfielder. We have Jota on the right but need another player in that position too. Left midfield is fine. 

Wes, with Kodjia back up striker is a stab in the dark. Wes could be another Benteke. If so great, but can we rely on only Kodjia  for cover ? Another forward I’d like to bring in, but don’t think we will. 

12 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I take it this is made up of the folk that we currently have and not included speculation players?

If we could go into the season with:

*Heaton*                                                                                          Steer                           

Elmo        *Axel/Cahill*       Mings         Targett                Gulibert         Chester          Hause         Taylor      

*Phillips*                                                                             Birkir or Lansbury

*Trezeguet*          McGinn       *Nakamba*       El Ghazi        Jota                                 Hourihane                 Green                                                                                       

Grealish                                                                                    *Backup AMC*       

Wesley          *New ST*                                                                         Kodja

Should definitely stay up if we play 4-1-4-2 formation. Alex Ferguson was very successful with this at Old Trafford, with the referee sitting behind Keane and Scholes.

Edited by KentVillan

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

Is that the Hause that couldn't get into the wolves team in the championship and barely started for us, over the Chester that yes I have watched on what, close to 100 times for villa in the last 3 seasons? Are we writing him off over comments made after the play offs because he's seemed fine and involved with the 1st team squad plans in pre season. 

Kalinic was highly rated before joining and only lost his place to Steer due to injury. I would definitely go with him ahead of Steer based on what I've seen of their ability. Steer did a great job for us but I don't think he's premier League standard and was out on loans or behind Bunn in the pecking order until 6 months ago under several managers and goalkeeping coaches. 

Kalinic wasn't that highly rated. Just backup to Subasic for Croatia who's retired from international and they've made someone else #1 keeper. He was shocking for us whereas Steer was instrumental in getting is promoted and it's disrespectful to say otherwise because he wasn't given a fair crack by previous muppet managers. Was MotM first game against Hull for me and Bruce the flog ships him off 2 games later. That worked out well for him lol. Glad he did it, anything that contributed to losing that dinosaur

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Should definitely stay up if we play 4-1-4-2 formation. Alex Ferguson was very successful with this at Old Trafford, with the referee sitting behind Keane and Scholes.

It was more highlighting the positions of the players we have.. rather than playing that way.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Kalinic wasn't that highly rated. Just backup to Subasic for Croatia who's retired from international and they've made someone else #1 keeper. He was shocking for us 

He was GK of the year in Belgium 2 years in a row and in Croatia before that. 2nd keeper in the world cup runner up team and he in fact  was the number one after Subasic retired. Lost his place after his injury.

so yeah, not highly rated🤨

9 hours ago, Farlz said:

e2e4a7f5c249ad331c90b58fce042241.png

You know what, I really like what I'm seeing. I'm not expecting anything crazy next season and just staying up is a bloody good job but I really like what we're building towards. There's quite a clear plan and identity to our targets in that being young, comfortable on the ball and have plenty of room to improve are key attributes. 

I'm just really pleased we went up with Dean Smith in charge of the club. 

This is the team I want, although I could settle on a different keeper. 

9 hours ago, AXD said:

He was GK of the year in Belgium 2 years in a row and in Croatia before that. 2nd keeper in the world cup runner up team and he in fact  was the number one after Subasic retired. Lost his place after his injury.

so yeah, not highly rated🤨

None of this speaks to me of his being highly rated. If he was so good he would have won his spot back after his injury, as happens with all the good keepers in the world. Being the best keeper in the Belgium and Croatia domestic leagues is not that impressive. And having nobody pick him up until he was 28 is actually a potential bad sign in a way. Being second keeper to a good keeper does not make him good. He was number one for about 6 games.

11 hours ago, Farlz said:

e2e4a7f5c249ad331c90b58fce042241.png

You know what, I really like what I'm seeing. I'm not expecting anything crazy next season and just staying up is a bloody good job but I really like what we're building towards. There's quite a clear plan and identity to our targets in that being young, comfortable on the ball and have plenty of room to improve are key attributes. 

I'm just really pleased we went up with Dean Smith in charge of the club. 

That would be a nice team indeed to kick our season off with. Promising and exciting.

avfc.png.0497630b0fdb8a3b3fe5f0e797ce3b5

Looking a lot healthier already. A DM (maybe two), a winger and Butland and I'll be very happy.

Players in red are ones I can't see cutting it in the Prem but who are still in the squad. O'Hare I've not seen enough of to make a judgement. But if you look at it like he'd be 6th choice CM, he might be ok. Question mark over Bree as well.

• Like 1

Crucial thing with the signings is that 3 were on loan and 2 have worked with Smith before so its not going to be complete unknows meeting for the 1st time. Only Wesley and Targett are unknowns to the squad and management

The players that brought in seem like good characters

• Like 1

Why is everyone having Guilbert in their starting XI? Is it just because he is new or have you lot actually seen him play much?

Still not sure if he is any better than Elmo. I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement, all i can say is Elmo has done really well under Smith and got every chance to be a starter next season. He also has Premier League experience which is a big plus.

Â