Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

29 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

So let's say we get to a point in June where football can resume but it's in everyone's interest to wrap it up as soon as possible. This could be done in a week to decide promotion and relegation in a form of play-offs, pitting the top 3 of the Championship against the bottom 3 of the Premier League. But how do you decide who those teams will be?

Starting with the Premier League, as Villa have played one game less it would only be fair to look at where an extra 3pts would elevate us. That would be above Watford, in turn dropping them into the relegation zone. So, Watford vs Villa would decide who ends up in the drop zone (a draw would keep Watford up recognizing their 2pt advantage) and the bottom 3 would be decided. 

In the Championship, 3rd would play 6th and 4th would play 5th as in a normal play-off scenario with the winners meeting each other to decide on 3rd spot. The difference being that the semis would be single games.

Then top of Championship would play bottom of Premier League and so on and so forth in one off games, winner takes all.

That"s still playing quite a lot of matches though and if you start doing that, why not play them all? If we"re bringing Watford into the play-off scenario, then why not West Ham, as they are on the same number of points or Brighton as well, given they are only 2 points clear of those two clubs? 

The Championship seems a little easier with Leeds and WBA, 7 & 6 points respectively above the rest, there is some case for inviting those two clubs into the PL. The EFL want their third club to go up as well. Five clubs are within 1 or 2 points of the sixth placed club, so the last play-off place would take some sorting. They would have the same problem at the bottom, with 5 clubs only 2 or 3 points above the club that is currently in the final relegation place. 

As you say this needs wrapping up as soon as possible. For me that's not playing any games until next season, it's the easiest, safest and correct thing to do.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

That"s still playing quite a lot of matches though and if you start doing that, why not play them all? If we"re bringing Watford into the play-off scenario, then why not West Ham, as they are on the same number of points or Brighton as well, given they are only 2 points clear of those two clubs? 

The Championship seems a little easier with Leeds and WBA, 7 & 6 points respectively above the rest, there is some case for inviting those two clubs into the PL. The EFL want their third club to go up as well. Five clubs are within 1 or 2 points of the sixth placed club, so the last play-off place would take some sorting. They would have the same problem at the bottom, with 5 clubs only 2 or 3 points above the club that is currently in the final relegation place. 

As you say this needs wrapping up as soon as possible. For me that's not playing any games until next season, it's the easiest, safest and correct thing to do.   

I did think of that re: West Ham. My original thought was they would play Watford for the right not to play us, but that's unnecessary as they had already earned the right not to by being higher placed in the league on goal difference.

As far as the last play-off place is concerned it may seem harsh but provided they're on the same number of games then I think you'd just have to have a cut-off point as to where they currently stand.

It's only 2/3 matches per club as opposed to 9/10. A significant difference, and only for a handful of clubs involved in relegation/promotion.

Not ideal, I know, but workable. 

And of course, I don't think for a second it would be adopted or supported....as I can see from here :)

4 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

I did think of that re: West Ham. My original thought was they would play Watford for the right not to play us, but that's unnecessary as they had already earned the right not to by being higher placed in the league on goal difference.

As far as the last play-off place is concerned it may seem harsh but provided they're on the same number of games then I think you'd just have to have a cut-off point as to where they currently stand.

It's only 2/3 matches per club as opposed to 9/10. A significant difference, and only for a handful of clubs involved in relegation/promotion.

Not ideal, I know, but workable. 

And of course, I don't think for a second it would be adopted or supported....as I can see from here :)

Goal difference is a fine point to decide on at this stage of the season. It may be less games, it may be less clubs involved, it may reduce the risk of infection - but there would still be a risk. 

It's an idea, I agree it's not ideal. ;) There really isn't an ideal solution out there, that will satisfy or be supported by everyone. It looks to me that other than the PL and UEFA, people are beginning to come around to the idea, that games should wait until next season. I think as things stand it's going to be a battle between all or nothing.      

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Uefa asking leagues to decide when they will restart by may is absolutely ridiculous. 

Those idiots need to stop applying pressure while people are losing their lives. More to life than football you absolute morons

100%. They just want to get their cup games played and teams qualified for next season's competitions, at any cost! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Uefa asking leagues to decide when they will restart by may is absolutely ridiculous. 

Those idiots need to stop applying pressure while people are losing their lives. More to life than football you absolute morons

They aren't asking when they will restart, they are asking to make a decision on what they are going to do. Personally I think it's a good thing as we will know what's happening and stop all this constant speculation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

They aren't asking when they will restart, they are asking to make a decision on what they are going to do. Personally I think it's a good thing as we will know what's happening and stop all this constant speculation. 

Yeah but how the lwagues suppose to know while the government havent said anything about people even being allowed out let alone getting football started.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

It's an idea, I agree it's not ideal. ;) There really isn't an ideal solution out there, that will satisfy or be supported by everyone. It looks to me that other than the PL and UEFA, people are beginning to come around to the idea, that games should wait until next season. I think as things stand it's going to be a battle between all or nothing.      

Yes there is. Void the season, give Liverpool the title and all leagues get twice as many UCL spots than they usually do. No clubs get's automatic qualification for the group stage, there is one extra round of qualifiers. But use UEFA seedings, which means the best leagues get an advantage. No relegation, but all domestic leagues have two more teams next season. Each league decide by themselves who they promote.

That means Sheffield United is in the UCL, although they need to quailfy for the group stages on behalf of some minor teams. UCL will probably have even more clubs from the big leagues, which I think UEFA would like.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Yes there is. Void the season, give Liverpool the title and all leagues get twice as many UCL spots than they usually do. No clubs get's automatic qualification for the group stage, there is one extra round of qualifiers. But use UEFA seedings, which means the best leagues get an advantage. No relegation, but all domestic leagues have two more teams next season. Each league decide by themselves who they promote.

That means Sheffield United is in the UCL, although they need to quailfy for the group stages on behalf of some minor teams. UCL will probably have even more clubs from the big leagues, which I think UEFA would like.

You've had a decent stab at it and it will satisfy some, but it still won't satisfy everyone. For example, whilst I agree that the season should be voided, can't you find some way of getting us into those CL qualifiers? 😀

• Haha 1

I don’t see an answer until a vaccine is around. If as in Germany you relax measure and then the rate a person. Infects goes above 1 then we are going to be stop starring lockdown measures every few weeks.

On the other hand we can’t live on fresh air and football although a leisure activity is just another business which generates income. 

Cant see the season finishing anymore but you have to end it in the fairest way for all teams, which includes the championship. Liverpool winning the title is the easy one. Nobody will deny it them. 

36 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don’t see an answer until a vaccine is around. If as in Germany you relax measure and then the rate a person. Infects goes above 1 then we are going to be stop starring lockdown measures every few weeks.

On the other hand we can’t live on fresh air and football although a leisure activity is just another business which generates income. 

Cant see the season finishing anymore but you have to end it in the fairest way for all teams, which includes the championship. Liverpool winning the title is the easy one. Nobody will deny it them. 

I agree. The plan should be.

1. Sense of normality to peoples lives

2. Then football can come back.

Might be worth remembering that the Premier League and the EFL are two separate sporting bodies. Different outcomes could be put in place. I’d quite happily award the scummy bin dipping 5lag5 the title as they’ve all but won it, and would win it. But relegation cannot happen from the Premier League because, if the league cannot continue, it is too close between too many teams. In the space of 4 games it’s viable that Everton, in 12th, could end up sitting in the bottom 3. Villa could, in the space of 4 games, sit above Newcastle. The Championship probably shouldn’t award anything to anyone as nothing is clear cut, nobody has a lead big enough at the top that you could say with any certainty is unassailable. Very different to the top of the Premier League. I’d leave the problem of awarding European places to Uefa, it’s their competition and their problem. They’ve been quite useless during this pandemic. 

5 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

1 Because it's effectively a play-off

I find it bizarre that we would (in your idea) be playing Watford a third time even though we still have to play West Ham and Watford also have to play West Ham and those two are only separated by GD, I think that would cause more law suits than voiding the season.

2 It represents a solution. 

Not very well 😉

3 Not really as they don't have a direct impact on the following season's league

It would have an impact on next season in terms of possibly playing in European competitions (IE earlier start for Europa team, Champion League play off match) if that goes ahead. Also league placings have financial rewards.

4 Yes, but crucially over the same time period

Still a fair few games to be played where a few hundred people will be in attendance. What happens when 'insert team' (say Leeds for EG) gain promotion it would lead to mass celebrations on the streets.

5 The higher placed side. Pretty irrelevant anyway as they'll be no fans.

No fans means no actual reward for finishing 3rd as opposed to 6th and again see point 4 would lead to unnesccesary gatherings outside.

6 See 5

7 Play-off with Man Utd

Why would Sheffield United want to play Man Utd for a third time when there 'game in hand' is against Villa and if they win that they go above them.

It's a solution under extraordinary conditions. Not perfect, but perhaps a way of avoiding all the legal ramifications of cancelling the season. 

I personally think there would be more going down your route

Sorry for offering an alternative suggestions to yours

No need to apologise, it's a forum to debate mate 👍

As a side note, there are 2 points separating the bottom of the championship from 19th to 22nd with the latter being the third team relegated.

Charlton are in 22nd but still have to play Hull and Wigan who are the teams directly above them and Hull have to play Wigan so there is still so much that can change yet that surely you can't consider relegating Charlton at this stage.

Top of league 1 is ridiculously tight too, 3 points separate positions 2 to 8 with uneven games played amongst the teams involved, no way can that be ended as it is.

No one as said that there is a fair way to do this, there isn't unfortunately, but the fairest is either play it out or void it. 

I would even put a caveat in that if it is voided, Liverpool get awarded the title with an asterisk just to shut them **** up, because let's face it if they weren't so far ahead I think the season would have been officially voided by now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villaluke said:

i think all teams that get to the league cup final should be in the champions league 😀

Even just the League Cup winner qualifying for the CL, with the runner up taking the place if that team is banned from European competition, would be an acceptable compromise. 😛

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

They can still decide to relegate clubs in France.

It's still an ongoing discussion or so i've read.

In france bottom 2 get automatically relegated and 18th goes in home and away play off with 3rd place in league below.

Just looking at the table and Toulouse are bottom and 17 points off safety so pretty much us in 15/16 season and I'm not sure we were even that far adrift until the very last weeks of the season. Amiens who are second bottom are 7 points off safety and just 4 off a play off so more complicated.

Perhaps before a new season is due to begin they'll be a week of play offs between the teams at bottom and top of ligue 2. There is just 4 points seperating Lorient in 1st and Clermont foot in 5th so very tight.

Interested what they come up with anyway. Would be incredible fortune for Toulouse if they stay up being miles adrift.

• Like 1