Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

22 minutes ago, KHV said:

Our biggest problem is the points we have thrown away

Throwing away points will catch up with you in the end, we should have at least 5 more points than we do. Yes we have had some tricky games but we have chucked away points like nobody else

We should be sat on around 20 points by now

I am hopeful this is improving though. Came from 2-1 down v United, held on comfortably v Newcastle. The test will be these December games against the teams around us and we will see if it’s a trend or those games were the deviation from the norm.

My worry is that Watford will also pick up under a new manager, last season they were challenging for a European place right up until the end of the season and reached the FA Cup final, they've got a decent squad, if they were to win today they'd suddenly only be four points from safety with us to play in the coming weeks. At this point we just have to sort ourselves out, a win tomorrow would be good for the points and to give us a lift going into the Christmas schedule.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And people are just assuming we'll beat the teams around us.

I remember that attitude when we played Bournemouth. Ridiculous cockiness pre game and we lost the game.

I’ve seen this a lot online and on here. People seem to think it’s a given we’ll beat those around.

Fact is we have thrown away far too many points this season and the worrying thing is we don’t seem to be rectifying those errors. It’s all well a good playing ok in games but if we don’t get the results it means diddly squat. 

• Like 1

Lampard might find his job on the line if Chelsea keep on like this, Sarri was doing better this time last season, and with the transfer ban lifted they will want to give the money to someone they trust. Talk of Simeone leaving Atlético as well.

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And people are just assuming we'll beat the teams around us.

I remember that attitude when we played Bournemouth. Ridiculous cockiness pre game and we lost the game.

People aren’t assuming we’ll beat them. People think we have a better chance of beating them so are not shitting themselves every time we lose a game against a better team. 

For me we are doing as well as I expected but if come January we are still in the same position I’ll be concerned. Until that point I’m still positive.   I’m looking forward to you going quiet on this thread in January once we’ve pulled away from the bottom 3.   You’ll hopefully have to find something else to complain about. 

• Like 3

Of course we must win one fo the next two, if we fail to do so that will be one win in eight and as it stands we're only out of the relegation on goal difference, after the Leicester we could be in the bottom three. Some need to wake up, and accept that we're in a relegation battle and need to start winning games.

We were always going to be in a relegation battle, newly promoted via the playoffs, a whole new team and the coaching staff have only been here little over a year. It was always likely to be tough. The good thing is that we’re not the only ones in that battle. Anyone outside of the top eight can get pulled into it, and it’s remarkable what a couple of wins can do to the table. We’re just at the point where we really need those wins now. 

Will we get them soon? Who knows! I don’t, you don’t. But I do have faith that we will get better as the season goes on. 

Aké injured, Bournemouth not having the best of luck with injuries on their defensive players.

Hope Plop capitalizes 

Edit: Took them 30 seconds to do so.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

I have not said that I believe we're not better than the teams around us, but if you go seven games and only win one game then you're asking for trouble. Basically at some point a team as to get wins in fixtures where they're not expected to, not saying that that's not going to happen for us in the future, but that it hasn't happened so far is one of the reasons why we find ourselves in the position we are in now. We aren't just going to conveniently win all the so called easier fixtures and everything will be alright, you need to get a few unexpected results here and there as well, as has been the case with Newcastle, Brighton, Newcastle, Sheffield United and others and explains why they're above us in the league.

Surely all teams are in a similar boat though considering we've won as many games as Arsenal, Bournemouth, Burnley etc and one less than Man. United, Spurs.

It's all very frustrating to me. We won the game we needed to v Newcastle (convincingly) and then got a very good point at Man. United considering after their Spurs win they've actually been good at home this season yet results from elsewhere which you can't control are messing us up constantly.

All I would say is look at bottom 3 teams in this division, we have yet to play Watford or Southampton (must be only team in league who haven't so far) and Norwich we won 5-1. Of course I'm not assuming we'll just beat Watford twice or whatever but generally every other team have had the chance to boost their points totals by playing Watford and Southampton, we haven't had that opportunity.

Everton were great today and fully deserved their win v very flat Chelsea but 6 points of their 17 also come v Watford and Southampton.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Many will be scared to admit it and will come up with all sorts of excuses to convince themselves otherwise, but we simply must win one of the next two against either Leicester or Sheffield United.

What if we get 7 points from the 3 over Xmas? And a point over Burnley. 1 point from Sheffield and Leicester and those 8 and we'd have 24 points by halfway point so surely we'd be a few points clear of bottom 3.

As long as we've got more than 20 points by NYD I'm still pretty comfortable as I reckon we'll get 6-7 wins in second half of the season so will be getting past 40 points.

• Like 1

If Palace win and we get a point tomorrow then we go in to some more winnable games in a good position really. Point tomorrow and then 8 points between then and NYD and we'll be on 24 points. I'd back us to get 16 more from then till the end of the season, even with injury probs and no investment in Jan. I'm sure we'll see 1 or 2 new faces in Jan though and if they improve the first 11 enough we should be safe with a few games to spare.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Calum Wilson gone off injured for Bournemouth, Brooks also went off injured in first half.

Think Bournemouth will be in bottom 3 over next few weeks. Big test for Eddie Howe.

Aké as well

• Like 1