Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal have massively mugged West Ham here. Still in the long run this is obviously a better result for us.

Southampton-West Ham at weekend. We need to dig in and grind out a draw at Bramall Lane. If we can do that we won't drop into bottom 3 regardless of what happens in Southampton.

I feel that this is a big psychological advantage for us, the longer we can avoid those last three places, the better.

• Like 1

I fear we might drop in for a game or two. If we're still in there on 1st January we're in big trouble.

Ultimately though it's good to have other teams on 16-18 points around us as they all won't go on winning runs. Bournemouth got a million injuries and Chelsea away at the weekend for instance.

If we draw with Sheffield United then Southampton will go above us if they beat West Ham at home, but if Bournemouth lose to Chelsea then they'd drop into the bottom three in that scenario. I can't see us getting anything next weekend, I fear it might even be another heavy defeat, in which case we'll need West Ham to beat Southampton, which I hope they do whatever our result is, need to get as far away from that bottom three as possible.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

If we draw with Sheffield United then Southampton will go above us if they beat West Ham at home, but if Bournemouth lose to Chelsea then they'd drop into the bottom three in that scenario. I can't see us getting anything next weekend, I fear it might even be another heavy defeat, in which case we'll need West Ham to beat Southampton, which I hope they do whatever our result is, need to get as far away from that bottom three as possible.

West Ham GD is worse than ours so they'd drop below us if they lose at Southampton and we get a draw.

Frustrating that the following weekend West Ham were due to play Liverpool at home but that got cancelled due to them being in Qatar otherwise that could've been another defeat.

Think what it does show is at least we've done o.k in first half of the season not having too bad a GD compared to many teams around us. That will be very crucial if it's still as close in May.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

West Ham GD is worse than ours so they'd drop below us if they lose at Southampton and we get a draw.

Frustrating that the following weekend West Ham were due to play Liverpool at home but that got cancelled due to them being in Qatar otherwise that could've been another defeat.

Think what it does show is at least we've done o.k in first half of the season not having too bad a GD compared to many teams around us. That will be very crucial if it's still as close in May.

Yeah our GD until Sunday was actually pretty good, it was mid table really. Also I put us above WH and Bournemouth because we should be 1 point more because we got a draw at palace because we scored a legitimate goal.

I'd be more than happy with a point. The 4-1 has put us in a vulnerable state and we were smashed up there last season. Also massively outplayed us at VP until that mad last ten minutes. I don't think we're a great match up against their 3-5-2 so I fear another Wolves type match.

A point would get things back on track then we can aim for 4 points from the two home games (ideally 6 points but can't remember the last time we won back to back home games in the prem) and then 4 points from Watford-Burnley aways which is doable. That would put us in much better place in the table.

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd be more than happy with a point. The 4-1 has put us in a vulnerable state and we were smashed up there last season. Also massively outplayed us at VP until that mad last ten minutes. I don't think we're a great match up against their 3-5-2 so I fear another Wolves type match.

A point would get things back on track then we can aim for 4 points from the two home games (ideally 6 points but can't remember the last time we won back to back home games in the prem) and then 4 points from Watford-Burnley aways which is doable. That would put us in much better place in the table.

I'd take a draw too. We're not very well suited to teams like that. Get a good point at Bramall Lane and then smash the lot at VP.

• Like 1

Well that is our tough run of games over now (thank ****)

We now have;

December: Sheff U away,  Ston home, Norwich home, Watford away.

January: Burnley away, Citeh home, Brighton away, Watford home.

February: Bournemouth away, Spurs home, Ston away, Sheff U home.

That's about as easy a run if there is such a thing in the PL we will ever get, be nice to take 18-20 points from that run of games as not to many are going to come our way March, April and May.

I hope this is our lowest point of the season unlike our usual post xmas low point.
I guess we are going to find out how good our recruitment strategy was, the players and staff's ability to handle pressure is now going to be seen.

I know I cant handle the pressure already so good luck to the lads. :)

Checked out our start to the 14/15 season just for fun and what a start we had.

Stoke (a) win

Newcastle (h) draw

Hull (h) win

Liverpool (a) win

We were 3rd on the table at this point. Sadly it all fell apart from here and we went on to lose 6 games in a row.

Actually felt we had a half decent team. Vlaar, Clark, Lowton, Westwood, Delph, Cleverley, Gabby and Benteke

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Checked out our start to the 14/15 season just for fun and what a start we had.

Stoke (a) win

Newcastle (h) draw

Hull (h) win

Liverpool (a) win

We were 3rd on the table at this point. Sadly it all fell apart from here and we went on to lose 6 games in a row.

Actually felt we had a half decent team. Vlaar, Clark, Lowton, Westwood, Delph, Cleverley, Gabby and Benteke

Wasn't it after that run that they gave Lambert a new 4 year contract? 😱😱

• Like 1

So Jordan Ibe on trial today in London for crashing his Bentley into a cafe and then binning it.

With their defensive injury crisis and stuff like this Bournemouth might be one of our life lines come the end of the season. Bit of a mess.

Edited by sne

26 minutes ago, sne said:

So Jordan Ibe on trial today in London for crashing his Bentley into a cafe and then binning it.

With their defensive injury crisis and stuff like this Bournemouth might be one of our life lines come the end of the season. Bit of a mess.

Plus josh King who is probably their best player is currently out injured so they may struggle to pick up points for a while.