Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I do take a lot of reassurance from the fact we are still outside the relegation places (just) despite a glut of ridiculous fixtures. Aside from Palace (a) Wolves (a) and the Leicester game we have given a decent account of ourselves for the most part.

Where i see our issue is that as soon as we don't have that 1st eleven out there namely

Heaton

Targett

Mings

Engels

Guilbert

Grealish

McGinn

ElGhazi

Luiz / Nakamba / Hourihane

Trez

Wesley

we struggle.

This seems to impact on us even late on in games. As soon as we make 2 or 3 substitutions we are weakened and lose games late on. It happened at Spurs, Arsenal, & Liverpool (home).

Most of our losses have been when that first choice eleven is disrupted too actually (Wolves (a) for example)

It happened again on Saturday, Guilbert & Engels were missing (DS what were you thinking?) Mings goes down injured (Score was 0-0) Then almost as a direct result of that they score and we go on to concede 4 without him. No surprise to me as we were missing 3 of our normal back 4!!

Now we enter a run of crucial fixtures without Mings most likely. .... Now that is a problem!

I just want to make it clear that over the last 7 games we have played the current top 6. That is not a fair run for anyone. Hell if Liverpool had to play the current top 7 in a row I only see them coming away with 10 points. We had the worst run of fixtures of any team in the league. Our next 4 games though are probably the most important of the season. By the end of it we could be on 27 points (I reckon 23) but we need to beat Norwich and Southampton and at least get a draw against Watford to prevent any of them getting past us between now and January. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I just want to make it clear that over the last 7 games we have played the current top 6. That is not a fair run for anyone. Hell if Liverpool had to play the current top 7 in a row I only see them coming away with 10 points. We had the worst run of fixtures of any team in the league. Our next 4 games though are probably the most important of the season. By the end of it we could be on 27 points (I reckon 23) but we need to beat Norwich and Southampton and at least get a draw against Watford to prevent any of them getting past us between now and January. 

Agreed. What is annoying about this is the media are not taking it into consideration.

Also annoying was the almost overwhelming absence of understanding on the Holte End yesterday that we were playing a Leicester team that were very good , they MADE us look bad.

We can be well beaten...….as a newly promoted side I was expecting it to happen more often.

• Like 2

That Leicester match reminded me of some of the home games under Lambert and McLeish against the big teams and really underscored to me how good this Leicester team is. They absolutely outclassed us. Barely had to get out of first gear and still had more than enough to put us to the sword.

We've played the current top 6 + Spurs and Arsenal, all of them away from home and have come away somewhat predictably from those 8 fixtures with 1 point. That's half of our season so far.

The other half of the season we've played 8 teams, only one of whom are in the bottom 3 currently. We've picked up 14 points from those 8 games (should have been 16 in all honesty). That's almost 2 ppg and we still have 2 such games left until we've played every team in the league.

We haven't been a million miles of getting results against the first set of 8 teams and 6 out of 8 of them have to still come to VP. There is room for improvement on our points tally there. But we're doing very well against our rivals and that's significantly more important, not least because it keeps the points out of their hands and keeps them at arms length. We're not doing too bad. To come out of this run of fixtures still out of the bottom 3 is very encouraging.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Arsenal are in a relegation battle. #Changemymind

Yeah but we faced them before they hit the slide. That is it. We have played all the top teams at the wrong time. Leicester 8 wins in a row, United had been getting it going Chelsea got Tammy back, Spurs first game of the season etc.

We haven't been lucky with injuries or the timing of fixtures but we can definitely improve as well so hopefully we get some extra luck and pick up some more points in the last 22 games. 

• Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

West Ham are so aggresive and have such bite in their play. Its definitely something that's missing from our game.

Today.

Most other games I've seen them they've looked utterly toothless. That's the bottom half of the PL for you, wildly inconsistent. Which is why I don't get too hung up when we're not doing too great.

Arsenal have massively mugged West Ham here. Still in the long run this is obviously a better result for us.

Southampton-West Ham at weekend. We need to dig in and grind out a draw at Bramall Lane. If we can do that we won't drop into bottom 3 regardless of what happens in Southampton.