Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We conceded 20+ shots against Norwich and Brighton as well. 

Games that ended with a combined score of 7-2. If that hasn't given you pause over this obsessive shots against stat, nothing will.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Games that ended with a combined score of 7-2. If that hasn't given you pause over this obsessive shots against stat, nothing will.

Maybe i am obsessed with the shot stats, but it's not something we should ignore and not worry about.

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Maybe i am obsessed with the shot stats, but it's not something we should ignore and not worry about.

It's not the best stat, but it fits well with the story, our tactics and what I'm seeing in the matches. We are weak at the back, which is why we need a good keeper. Luckily we have one.

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

It's not the best stat, but it fits well with the story, our tactics and what I'm seeing in the matches. We are weak at the back, which is why we need a good keeper. Luckily we have one.

I don't think our defence is weak but they aren't getting any help from the midfield (except for Nakamba)

McGinn and Hourihane are all bombing forward along with our fullbacks.

Don't have to be a genius to understand it will have it's side effects.

Quite frankly i find it absurd how people are wondering why we concede so many shots and goals, it's pretty obvious why.

Edited by villalad21

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think our defence is weak but they aren't getting any help from the midfield (except for Nakamba)

McGinn and Hourihane are all bombing forward along with our fullbacks.

Don't have to be a genius to understand it will have it's side effects.

Quite frankly i find it absurd how people are wondering why we concede so many shots and goals, it's pretty obvious why.

I do. Our full backs are much better going forward than defending, and our CBs are not commanding enough in the air. When our keeper is smallish, we are suspect in crosses and set pieces that land in our box.

That Norwich game they had just 5 shots on target v us. I can remember their two FBs between them had about 8 shots from 25-30 yards that were endangering people in Row F.

Said before I'm happy letting teams have pot shots from 25 yards. Yes the odd one will fly into the top corner but most won't. It's a strategy Burnley have used for years (e.g. position themselves so opposition players have to take shots at goal from hard angles) and so they don't tend to concede many unless they're playing a top team.

To me a bigger problem is we've conceded a hell of a lot of goals from not cutting out crosses this season. Tammy goal the other day was very soft and then you have the two at Man. United, the one Liverpool scored to make it 1-1 and going further back the two we conceded at home to Burnley.

Seems to me if Mings isn't in a position to head the cross away no one else in our backline will so while Engels and Konsa have done well in other areas they both need to step up in that regard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I do. Our full backs are much better going forward than defending, and our CBs are not commanding enough in the air. When our keeper is smallish, we are suspect in crosses and set pieces that land in our box.

That said we have kept clean sheets v Everton, Newcastle and West Ham and only conceded once v Norwich, Brighton, Palace so in the games we really need the points we aren't that easy to score past.

We concede 2s and 3s v the better teams but that's the story for 80% of the league. We conceded 2s and 3s many times in our three years in the championship of course.

• Like 2

If we fail to win today it will mean that we will have less points after sixteen games than we had at the same stage in Lambert's last two seasons, the Mcleish's and Houllier seasons, all three of O'Leary's seasons, and also Graham Taylor's campaign when he returned to the club. Today would be a good day for us to finally win against a top six team, like so many other clubs seem to be able to do.

On 29/07/2019 at 11:12, Enda said:

Alright at the risk of looking like an idiot, here's my patented Enda's Predictions for the Year.

1. Aston Villa will not be relegated this year. We'll survive, but be a good way short (in terms of positions, not necessarily in points) of the 7th or 8th place some of you are predicting.

2. We will get absolutely spanked (e.g. 4-0) at least twice. Including at home.

3. Jed Steer will not turn out as good as people think. Kalinic will have a better season than Steer. (As things stand on today July 29th, we haven't signed Butland or anyone, and Steer looks first choice.)

4. The Dean Smith halo will be significantly diminished by the end of the season. He's new to the Premier League, and his hesitation in making substitutions will cost us points and drive people mad.

5. Today's discussion on VT is about a mythical £50 million bid for SJM, and just about nobody here would go for it. That will look unwise at the end of the season. McGinn is a great little player, one of my favourites at the club, but he's never in a million years a fifty million quid footballer.

6. VT will get too optimistic when we win, and too pessimistic when we lose. Nailed on, as ever.

7. Sir Gary Cahill will go to an Altrincham U-13s reserve match and find us the next Messi.

Just short of halfway through the season and this post is aging reasonably well.

• Like 4

Shambles today so I'm certainly not going to spend the week spinning too much.

Only boost is we're not 18th which we were for majority of the day's play. Norwich also lost at home so increasingly looking like their mini run is over.

We need to grow a pair and tackle these next ten games as there are plenty of winnable games but big worry the defence is struggling now as we've lost that solid base we've had for much of the season. Newcastle is only league game in last two months we haven't conceded at least two goals in.

Ffs....have we been cut adrift?? It is so close up to 12th at the moment.  Going into the last 2 games (Playing against 4th and 2nd respectively), we had collected 4 pts from 2 games.  

Perspective ffs!!

I've mentioned it before but that Leicester side is just incredibly good. There's not a single weakness at all. Defence rock solid, midfield compliments each other perfectly and well Jamie Vardy is one of the best strikers in the league. Fair bloody play I say, best side I've seen at Villa Park this season. 

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Their defence wasn't that good tbh

Their defence has only conceded more than once in one league game this season, away to Liverpool. And that was to 95th minute penalty that should never have been given.

Regardless of how it looked today it's very impressive considering they sold a decent enough CB to Man. United in the summer and their FBs fly forward as much as Man. City and Liverpool's do.